[N-RP] The Cooking Contest - Today is the day!

Hello! :rice_ball:

All those lovely events coming from the Alliance side have inspired me to contribute to the cross-faction RP community, so I decided to turn the Hand’s next Cooking Contest into an open event! All culinary competitors are invited to join the Hand of the Titans in the market area of Halfhill on the June 16 (Sunday), where another round of Rei Winterbrew’s Cooking Contest will take place at 20:00 (server time).

The goal is to have a chill social gathering that has a bit more flavour (harrrrharharhar…) than your cookie-cutter inn experience. It’s open to competitors, audience and judges (going to need two of those!). Or people who want to eat some good food and enjoy the serenity of Pandaria.

All mechanics will be explained in this post in order to cut down on OOC talk before the event.

1. REQUIREMENTS:

• Potion of Tongues in case the Alliance shows up! (Do NOT buy the overpriced potion from AH—you can get it for around 30g from Legion Dalaran!)

• (Optional) RP addon ← strongly encouraged for all Rpers!

• A character that works well in a neutral setting. Make food, not war!

Important! The event is in a mob-free zone and as such has no level requirements. If you wish to participate on a low-level character that does not have the Halfhill flight path unlocked please let me know beforehand—I have a set of mages on both factions and can give you a portal and a lift on a 2-seater flying mount.

2. MECHANICS:

Cooking Points:

The event is going to be split into several distinctive phases during which players will use /roll to acquire Cooking Points. To account for varying cooking skills of all participants, players will be encouraged to fairly assess their character’s abilities and assign them accurate starting points.

Your rolls signify how well your character does at each task. For example, rolling high during a specific phase might mean they pick the prettiest fish and the juiciest veggies, while rolling low could result in a box of eggs ending up on the floor. Or your character slipping on a forgotten herring fillet and faceplanting into a pan full of hot oil. Possibilities are endless! (Yes, we will have one of the Hand’s Lifebinders present. Just in case someone actually decides to do the oil thing.)

(Please track your own Cooking Points during the event! If the Alliance shows up I will most likely be running the event on two characters simultaneously and simply won’t have the brain capacity to keep track of everyone’s score. You’re also encouraged to put your score in the Currently or OOC tab of your RP addon for easy tracking!)

Starting points:

It stands to reason that experienced cooks would have an advantage over newbies who only know how to burn food until it becomes brown and semi-edible. To account for this advantage (and give a tangible benefit to characters who actually know which side the bread is buttered) your characters will start out with a certain number of cooking points assigned before the event begins, based on their ability, to give them an advantage or a disadvantage. That said, the event will have enough rolls to potentially offset any advantage (or disadvantage), allowing for an unexpected outcome.

The ranks are, as follows:

- Culinary Catastrophe: -30 points. Terrible cook.

You are not merely ignorant regarding the culinary arts—you’re unreasonably awful at cooking. Eggs explode in your clumsy hands, water burns in the pot and Blight researchers stare longingly at the abominations you produce. The only way you could possibly win this competition is by 1. a divine intervention, 2. an extensive act of bribery and/or blackmail, or 3. poisoning the judges and stealing the prize.

- Instant Soup Connoisseur: 0 points. Inexperienced cook.

You have absolutely no idea about cooking and rely mostly on military rations, dry Pandaren noodles or whatever edible scrap of food the innkeeper throws at you. Your kitchen improv can be either very bad or very surprising.

- A Cook with a Clue: 30 points. Beginner cook.

While by no means a gifted cook, you possess basic knowledge of culinary techniques and understand the importance of salt. You can turn your supplies into something edible.

- Mom Tier: 60 points. Average cook.

You cook regularly and know your way around the kitchen. Solid foundation allow you to churn out food that looks—and tastes—pretty damn good. This is the level of an average Azerothian housekeeper who cooks for their family or friends.

- Culinary Contender: 90 points. Good cook.

Cooking is your passion and you collect culinary compliments like it’s going out of style. This rank is for above-average cooks, gifted hobbyists and people who spend a lot of time in the kitchen.

- War-Chef: 120 points. Incredible cook.

The highest possible rank for those who are on the level of professional chefs. While their knowledge and experience puts them in the position of the front runners, they should be careful for pride comes before the fall…

Phases:

The event will be split into five sections and each will provide an opportunity for one or more rolls that can add points to your cooking score. Phases will be announced as a raid warning. After the announcement all competitors will do a /roll (or several, depending on the phase) and emote out their actions.

While creativity and flexibility is strongly encouraged, for simplicity’s sake I decided to split the event into somewhat distinctive phases in order to hopefully make everything easier to follow for the audience. The phases are, as follows:

1. Choosing the ingredients and utensils. (1 roll)

First phase is your character going to pick the necessary ingredients. The contest’s organizer will provide all sorts of ingredients, both local and imported, as well as a wide variety of cooking utensils.

1. Cleaning and preparation. (2 rolls)

This phase is for arranging your utensils, washing the veggies, filleting the fish…

1. Begin cooking! (3 rolls)

2. Finish cooking! (3 rolls)

The third and fourth phases are where the bulk of the cooking will happen. Shove that chicken into the oven, fry some fries, add water to the store-bought cake mix—waaaaaait a minute… Either way, for the third and the fourth phases there’s plenty of wriggling room regarding your actions. Split the tasks in any way you see fit, as long as the majority of cooking happens in these two phases.

1. Garnishing and presentation. (1 roll)

Proper presentation is important! The fifth phase is the last opportunity to earn some points… or potentially ruin your victory with an unlucky 1. Don’t accidentally drop that beautiful steak on the ground!

3. IC PRIZES.

Three people with the highest scores will receive the following in-character prizes:

1st place:

The Golden Rolling Pin Pin (it’s a pin that looks like a rolling pin), an exclusive interview published in the upcoming book The Culinary Wonders of Azeroth and a set of self-cooling portable freezer boxes enchanted by lady Duskweaver herself (which means that enchantment is going to outlive you and all your descendants up to three generations).

2nd place:

The Silver Rolling Pin Pin (see above, but with a little less bling), a keg of Orange Blossom Cream Ale and one free year of the Secret Spice Society membership (gain access to unique and eclectic spice blends, delivered to a mailbox near you!) .

3rd place:

The Copper Rolling Pin Pin, a signed copy of Going Gourmet and a large box of premium Thalassian pralines. Yes, the famous ones.

After the contest is over, all participants as well as the audience are invited to sample the prepared dishes, mingle, and enjoy the atmosphere of Halfhill.

See you in Pandaria! :clinking_glasses:

(If you have any questions, please send me an in-game letter! Linaria-SteamwheedleCartel for Horde and Sharon-TheSha’tar for Alliance.)

3 Likes

Yo sign me up to this, I can finally get some mileage out of my character’s background experience in culinary

Question though, are we allowed to bring our own ingredients/tools or do we pick up everything from what’s available?

3 Likes

AZERITE POWDER IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE SALT REPLACEMENT, JOVIA!

(Actual answer: for the sake of fairness all mats will be provided by the organizers.)

2 Likes

But it makes your food taste delicious :frowning:

2 Likes

Oh cooking… Not my forte, for obvious(?) reasons. It does serve a valuable purpose, though, even if I do it rarely - and only out of necessity.

This sounds very interesting. I would like to attend - or perhaps a relative or acquaintace (alt) of mine.

2 Likes

Ooh! Sounds interesting! But do I go as Inky or Shi? How to decide?
Inky would go just to enjoy all the food, while Shi would just like to see where her people came from…since this is a foodie event, Inky will go as she loves food and is one plump gnome because of said love for food. (Seriously, one of my bags is filled with food for her)

3 Likes

As someone who rarely RPs these days an event like this is just the thing to get back off the bench (even if there would be much channelling of the 30% Iron Chef). *Shakes his fist at the sky* Curse you real life and your adult responsibilities! Curse you!

2 Likes

This sounds like so much fun!
I’ll just have to decide on if I should show up with a character who can cook or one who really can’t… :slight_smile:

xoxo
//Dawnie

2 Likes

Good cooks, bad cooks, average cooks, everyone is welcome! While the initial advantage that culinary pros have can definitely impact the outcome of the competition, the last word always belongs to RNGesus.

May your fries be salty and your kegs full. :beer:

2 Likes

A very fun event, indeed!
Tops scores for hosting to Linaria of the Hand!

Here’s a couple of pictures (remove the spacing):
https:// assets-cloud.enjin .com/users/2279496/pics/original/4118545.jpg
https:// assets-cloud.enjin .com/users/2279496/pics/original/4118544.jpg

I really hope there will be more of these! :slight_smile:

//Softfur

3 Likes

I see Grub in there! :turkey:

Thanks so much for joining me in Halfhill tonight, everyone! I hope to see you again during the next contest, because this event will be back in the future. A Hallow’s End contest would be nice, especially since it would provide a fun theme.

…Morfinn would win that one, I think.

Cheers! :clinking_glasses:

3 Likes

Morfinn hastily pins a handwritten note on the neutral information board in Dalaran (?)

“I agree with the sweet Pandaren.”

The Forsaken Death Knight runs off, being chased by other Death Knights of various races, seemingly involved in an involuntary game of … “dodgeball”… Instead of a ball, though, they are tossing what appears to be … a carrot-colored, head-sized, green-mohawk-sporting - skull - at each other…

:man_playing_handball: :running_man: :basketball_man: :skull: :carrot:

3 Likes

I had loads of fun today, great event. We definitely need more of these in the future and if Lara is up for it I could (and several of CoE if I bully them enough) help host an event in Quel’Thalas.

:wink:

1 Like

(Sorry for being presumptuous, but this seemed like a better use of my trust level powers than posting videos of flying motorcycles.)

This looked like a really fun event and I’m sad that I was unable to attend. I’ll have to see about blocking out some time for the next one. Halloween you say? *Scribbles some notes in his diary*

4 Likes

Bump
At least until the next contest…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.