nameplateShowOnlyNames cvar missing?

For friendly nameplates it seems that i cannot hide the health bar anymore, I have used nameplateShowOnlyNames 1 for a while, but now after 10.0.5 it seems that this cvar no longer exists, cannot find it in Advanced Interface Options either. Was it complete removed, or has it been replaced by another cvar that i couldn’t find?

Looks like its been replaced with nameplateHideHealthAndPower
https://github.com/Gethe/wow-ui-source/blob/0791dfb9a19922999e8130c44096106d6f9648bd/Interface/AddOns/Blizzard_NamePlates/Blizzard_NamePlates.lua#L57

Thank you for the tip. I tried it and reloaded my ui, but it seems to be changing nothing. Health bars still showing.

I was wrong, they just straight up removed it and set the values to false.

https://github.com/Gethe/wow-ui-source/blob/f0084386950fe3dc31a1d61de33b364e268cf66b/Interface/AddOns/Blizzard_NamePlates/Blizzard_NamePlates.lua#L453

https://github.com/Gethe/wow-ui-source/blob/0791dfb9a19922999e8130c44096106d6f9648bd/Interface/AddOns/Blizzard_NamePlates/Blizzard_NamePlates.lua#L452

So is there any way to set it to true? Even if I will do that permanently? I would really like to have the health bars off…

Nope. Can’t modify friendly nameplates in instanced content as of 7.1.5.

Is it possible to have a weakaura or something to disable friendly nameplates in dungeons and raids only but having it on everywhere else?

I use ThreatPlates and I noticed the difference. I actually liked the plates I got for friendly players in 5-mans, so I went with it.

However, I did set up ThreatPlates so that it has a profile for PvE and PvP and I have a macro that changes my equipped set and the bars in one click. I don’t think ThreatPlates has options to automate profile switches except by spec, so this kind of does the trick for me. Here’s a simplified version:

/equipset [mod:shift]PvP;Dragonflight
/run TidyPlatesThreat:ChatCommand("profile "…(IsShiftKeyDown() and “PvPPlates” or “PvEPlates”))

I don’t think the chat command will work if you have spaces in the profile name, so watch out for that.

There’s a very good video on Youtube on how to set up Threat Plates. It’s long, but it covers almost everything:

I incidentally also use ThreatPlates as my nameplate addon, however this issue does not depend on any addon as the friendly nameplates in instanced content cannot be modified by addons, as Elvenbane said, since Legion.

So it does not matter which addon you use, this issue could only be solved through Blizzard cvars, which are not existing anymore.

1 Like

So apparently Blizz have loosened their hold a bit on friendly nameplates inside instanced content, not sure to what extent.

This addon is working in 10.0.5, I just tested it in H-Vault (didn’t check in combat).
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/df-friendly-nameplates

Plater also has a setting under General > Interface Options > Hide Blizzard Health Bars

ThreatPlates also has “Hide Blizzard Health Bars” option but it just wants to use cvar, so it does not have any effect.

Thanks tho, as the addon surprisingly does the same functionality as the cvar before the patch, even in dungeons, even in combat. I tried the other functions in the addon but they not really seems to be working properly, or at all, but i would still use it just to hide the bars. It just feels really weird that i have to use an addon to replicate something that was in the game before as a cvar…

Yeah the Plater solution seems to just re-create the CVar too, which has no effect.

DFFN has some additional functionality over the old CVar in that you can class color the friendly names and enable click-through.

Any nameplate addon you’re running will likely supersede DFFN for Enemy nameplates (and friendly nameplates outside of instanced content).

So they removed the existing feature before implementing the new one or something…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.