(Near) identical pc's, huge FPS difference

Yep, tried that already (as posted in the OT):

“Changing Hyper Threading and C-States in BIOS to both enabled and disabled”

Oh that’s right… btw NEVER defrag an SSD! :smiley:

Are you running on the latest Windows 10 version? That might also cause problems for some systems.

-double check if all your drivers are up to date, even the network drivers (get them from the chipset manufacturer, intel or realtek mostly)
-try disabling your antivirus
-disable all overlays, discord, xbox live gamebar etc.
-check which other programs and services are running in the background and are using too much cpu time
-if nothing helps… maybe it is worth a try to do a fresh windows install

I’ll have to double check the drivers, but I believe everything should be up-to-date.

Will try disabling the AV, as that’s something I hadn’t done yet (although it should auto-exclude the Games folder)
Xbox live gamebar should be disabled by default, don’t run Discord and only have Overwolf (will try without that as well)

As for programs services running in the background: In a previous attempt with the Guild Wars 2 support team I had disabled all services from starting up and that didn’t help at all.

As for the Windows reinstall, I’ve seen that suggestion more often on the internet. But why exactly?

In this day and age, a Windows reinstall should be a port of last call. There is rarely a valid reason to reinstall windows.

But a lot of people are still in the Windows 95 mindset, where it actually did need to be reinstalled periodically to clear out old files and problems.

I’ve only ever had to reinstall windows 10 once, and that was because a firmware update on my ssd somehow wiped the ssd clean.

Nah, i just said it because i know people in rl who can break a windows install in record time… dont’t ask me how… besides clicking on every popup and installing every search bar there is :smiley:

Yeah, not exactly someone like me then :slight_smile:

Update: Tried disabling my anti-virus (Avast, all shields + do not disturb disabled). No response whatsoever.

Random suggestions that helped me once:

In the nvidia controlpanel app: force it to use the 1070. Press apply.

Then start wow and do the same within the game gpu settings. Also remove any front and background fps limits within the game settings.

Restart the pc.

Doublecheck monitorcables (and the port you are using on the gpu and the monitor) that they are the correct spec, for 4k etc.

Doublecheck monitor settings (have to use the buttons on the display itself).

Run a repair scan of the game (from the battlenet launcher).

Check motherboard bios version etc and if very outdated, check if newer ones provides “vital updates that provides performance”.

If you are using a corsair powersupply, check if you can install the software for it, then change from multirail mode to singlerail mode.

Make sure you dont run out of RAM and/or vram.

Make sure the harddrive isnt full. Id say max 80% full = ok.

Hi Forumtoon,

Thanks for the suggestions. In the past I’ve pretty much tried all of these, even updated my Monitor drivers yesterday (no response).

Only thing I didn’t really look into is the BIOS version upgrade

Wat.

Is it throttling?

Don’t think it is, the Clock seems stable both under load and when (mostly) idle

Sounds like you have to bite the bullet and try lower resolution and/or lower ingame gfx settings, till you get your desired fps.

Bumping this for my husband, so he can give an update :slight_smile:

Update on my end:
Couple days ago I’ve changed the thermal paste on my GPU as it was getting rather hot very quickly (jumping to the 83 degrees limit in seconds after starting up WoW. Also ran MalwareBytes and that also didn’t find anything spectacular.

That did fix the temperature issue according to GPU-Z (temp stays around 50-55 degrees now in Boralus) and I did gain some marginal FPS from it.
However: GPU-Z states that the GPU is being capped by vRel. Via MSI Afterburner I’ve increased voltage, but that also didn’t gain me much. So I kinda think the GPU is not the issue.

At the same time I’m also seeing that my CPU isn’t getting very warm at all (35-40 degrees), so I’d say it’s not exactly working very hard (it has a stock cooling fan, so nothing fancy).

Standing in auction house in Stormwind I’m getting around 45-50 FPS with the following stats:
GPU: 55 degrees, 35% fanspeed, 100% GPU load, PerfCap Reason: VRel, GPU Voltage 1.0500V
CPU: 36 degrees (?)

Feels like I’m being capped by my lazy CPU. Any ideas to figure out wat I can do to get it to work again?

Your husband’s msinfo might be useful for a comparison, but most likely, he does not have, or have configured differently, one of the following. Try all to test:

Go to add and remove programs, and uninstall Akamai net session.

Uninstall Overwolf, and TSM.

Turn off Windows Game Bar

1. Go to the start menu > cog icon (settings)
  2. Gaming
  3. Game Bar > Record game clips: Off
  4. Captures > Background recording: Off

Hi Rejuvithorn,

I cannot seem to find “Akamai Net Session” in my programs list? (Or is it not listed as Akamai Net Session?)

Game Bar > Record game clips and Captures > Background recording were already disabled.

No changes after uninstalling Overwolf and disabling TSM from the addons page.

Out of curiosity how the computers compare against each other (and other similar cpu/gpus) in some benchmarks (both CPU and GPU)?

The CPU temps don’t really look normal for load temperaturs (too low) so either GPU is really throttling for some reason or there is something really weird going on.

I would also try to reset all the GPU settings to default in Afterburner and uninstalling it and see if that does anything.

The Akamai Net Session seems to be some software library used by different software vendors for autoupdates etc. so it is probably bundled by some software other software you have installed.

Yeah i believe the GPU is downclocking because the CPU somehow does not run at full speed and so does not prepare enough FPS for the GPU to actually need to boost.

@Shigani: did you make sure your CPU is boosting to 3,8Ghz while playing? If not that would explain the low temps.

It’s getting weirder and weirder. I’ve checked my husband’s BIOS settings next to mine and reset everything to match again.

However it then turns out my RAM is not fully recognized anymore. I have 2x4GB and 2x8GB and when I initially opened the BIOS it showed only 2x4 and 1x8.
Then I tried to reseat everything (in the same exact spots mind you) and now I’m down to 1x4 and 1x8 suddenly! Fricking machine is making me go insane. One month ago it still showed the full 24GB

Note: CPU-Z is still showing the full 24GB, however DXDiag only lists what the BIOS does

Weird, that seems to indicate some sort of hardware fault. If there is just single fault then my bet would be on the motherboard though obviously there can be multiple different problems.

I would test each memory module seperately and once you have least one 100% working module use that module(s) to test each memory slot on the motherboard.

Other possible problem is GPU if you accidentally damaged it while changing the thermal paste. The GPUs are very easy to damage as the die will be directly accessible after removing the heat sinks unlike in the current CPUs which have heat spreader. It is unlikely the GPU damage would cause the memory problems you described though.

Only just saw your reply after already doing pretty much what you suggested Grelier :-).

Did the following tests:

• Insert 1 4GB ram, boot, worked.
  • Took out the 4GB and inserted the other, boot, worked
  • Took out the 4 GB and inserted 8GB, didn’t boot(?)
  • Took out the 8 GB and inserted the other 8GB, boot, worked.
  • Took everything back out and then inserted 4GB (boot worked), another 4GB (boot worked), the “faulty” 8GB (boot worked) and then the last 8GB: also worked. So my BIOS and dxdiag are back at 24GB, hurray!

However! CPU temp still low and FPS not increasing. Where can I find how to “Boost the CPU”?