Need Advice

Hey guys/Gals.

I recently just bought a standard gaming PC. i came back to WoW recently, and i cant help but notice my frames are dropping and sometimes even freezing randomly. Mainly in BGS and Harbour in Kul Tiras. the recommended was 7 on graphics, but even when i play on 5, places like Ashran are unplayable and sometimes even 10 man raids. If anyone can shine any light onto this occurrence it would be very welcome.

my set up is

6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 Ti - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX
AMD Ryzen 3 3300X Quad Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.3GHz/18MB CACHE/AM4)
8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 8GB)
ASUS® PRIME A320M-K: Micro-ATX, AM4, USB 3.0, 6GB/s

You gotta be a bit more specific, don’t really know what the exact problem is.
Dropping FPS and freezing for a moment could be an addon issue.

But looking at your RAM, i can tell you it is VERY SLOW (2400 is basically the slowest you can buy, standard for a Ryzen CPU is 3200Mhz) and only one stick on top of that halfes the bandwidth.
Ryzen CPUs are very RAM dependant and you are probably losing about 30% or more performance atm.
You should get 2x8GB @3200Mhz (CL16 is fine).
One stick and at slow speeds is unacceptable for a “gaming” PC.

Well, it plays fine, but just random times no matter where the frames drop and screen freezes. Ive turned all addons off and use 3 addons so far.

So you recommend upgrading to a faster ram?

would
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit.
be a better choice?

Simple answer - yes.

1 Like

Hardware Numbers on YT did RAM timing for 3300X and with optimized RAM this CPU reaches results close to the best CPUs on the market. 3200 CL16 isn’t bad but right now you should be able to get better in low price as well - but that may depend on region.

That should be troubleshooted. If no-addons/cleaned WTF/Cache folder gives same results then it’s not addons but some other reason. This would require checking with latencymon, sensor monitoring or other tools.

You can check my tutorial if you need more info:

https://rk.edu.pl/en/troubleshooting-and-reporting-wow-technical-problems/

Yeah, Ram speed could be cause of it but even if you install the faster ram you will need to get into BIOS/UEFI and set up the ram accordingly.

Auto will still have it running at 2400mhz, so you’re going to have to turn on that part to get the ram to run at the speed you want from the 3200mhz stick.

Also, 1660 is more of a 1080p gaming card so if you’re trying to run that at 1440p, that could also be an issue.

Oh and just 8gb as well, see if you can afford 2x8gb sticks and increase it to 16gb of ram.

Yes that would be a big upgrade.

Btw, did you check your RAM usage while running WoW?
Running many tabs in a browser like chrome can eat away at your 8GB RAM very fast and thus lead to stuttering or freezing ingame.

Hey guys,

This is just a little update.
i have just installed my 2x8gb DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz Ram. The difference is immense i no longer get stuttering in the original areas (Yet to try out Epic BGS)
i know my motherboard only runs them normally at 2400MHz unless i change in the BIOS (i have the faintest clue and slightly scared to break it)

Kiyuki, my memory when running WoW was at 91% most of the time, which is why i wanted advice on what was causing this stutters, i originally thought it was an addon. although it’s clear 1 stick at a slower speed is the cause. But i did play a BG with 0 addons, nothing running in the background and got the stutters prior to this new ram.

i didn’t mind the stutters too much, BUT i have plans to return to Mythic raiding, and when i had 3 players attacking me in Ashran the screen just decided to freeze. I knew at that moment mythic raiding wasn’t going to be an option. :slight_smile:

ill send another update or update this post when i finally get back in Ashran and confirm if my PC can finally handle 4 chaos bolts to my face. Thank you for your help so far greatly appreciated.

Yeah that explains the stutters i guess.
8GB is not much nowadays.
Most people go for 16 minimum.
I got 32 for my new PC, since im multitasking alot :smiley:

If you go to your memory settings in the BIOS/UEFI and just enable the XMP profile there is not much you can break.
There is even an EZ (easy mode) in your Asus Bios.

This should also help:
https://www.adata.com/upload/faq/EN-XMP.pdf

You can check if it worked in windows with the CPU-Z tool.
The memory speed displayed should be 1600Mhz (double data rate = 3200Mhz) at CL 16.

If your system crashes randomly with a bluescreen after you enabled the XMP, you can always lower the speed manually to 3000Mhz for example and try again until you find stable settings.

PS: if you run the RAM at default speed you will lose ALOT of FPS.

Okay, these are the steps to do:

Machine is off.

1. Press del button during boot up until you see the motherboard load up the UEFI.

2. Press F7 to load up advanced mode.

3. Select AI Tweaker tab.

4. If memory is on auto then it’s still running the ram at 2100mhz. You will need to select 1600mhz. (ONLY change the Memory Frequency dropdown. Nothing else.)

5. Leave the rest as Auto, the motherboard will do the rest.

6. Select Exit tab, then save and exit.

7. The motherboard will reboot, leave it to go into Windows.

8. You should be running the ram at 3200mhz now.

Note: Windows 10 may BSOD but let it reboot to sort itself out and it’ll get into the OS.

You’re basically selecting half of what is listed. The ram runs double via the ram controller on the cpu. So 1600 = 3200mhz

The differences are like 10-20% between 2133 and 3200 CL15.

Never seen a BIOS that would list such confusing half the frequency. This is kind of a nonsense. Looking at BIOS screenshots of that board it looks “normal” so he should have XMP 3200 MHz available.

Nah it is alot more in WoW and CPU-limited games.
I had my RAM running at 2133 and then 3200Mhz.
The difference was 20-40 FPS depending on the area (BfA zones).
I would call that a huge difference.

I tested it here:

https://rk.edu.pl/en/wow-performance-different-ram-configurations/

But without subtimings and more optimization (Hardware Numbers did that for 3300X and it got way more vs base performance, pretty much competing with 9900K in WoW)

Nah, my motherboard ran 3200mhz ram at half speed all the time for some reason. Thought I bought lower ram speed and got another batch years on but nope, same speed.

Not sure why Auto settings wouldn’t put the ram into the 3200mhz speed and just ran the DDR4 at 1600.

Only way I fixed it was manually selecting the speed and leaving rest as auto and it worked.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.