Need help on motherboard and case

Hi all

I have been upgrading my PC parts and i feel its time to upgrade the motherboard and my case ( Im not asking for the case don’t worry ).

What motherboard would you recommend to add to the following:

Graphics card: Radeon 5700 XT
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X
Memory: 16GB

Would you say a motherboard plays a huge part in building a PC for gaming?

Things to keep an eye when picking a motherboard:

• general stability (reviews)
  • power delivery (is it a cheap minimal design or a better one / better cooled)
  • upgrade options - like now it could be better to pick B550 instead B450 if you want easier upgrade path for third gen Ryzen.

As for 3600X - some XT variants may show up soon, which could be better or other will drop in price.

Same with RAM - 2 x 8 GB with good CL and frequency even without manual tuning can do a lot for a Ryzen system performance.

Are you already running the Ryzen 3600 or did you buy it and need a mainboard now?
Cause if you have the Ryzen running then why would you “upgrade” the mainboard? :smiley:

Hi

I have it already running on the motherboard I have. Yes it runs fine but didnt know if upgrading the motherboard as well would increase the performing.

It would not :wink: unless you need some newer peripherals, PCIe 4 storage for non-gaming usages and alike.

Right now, X470 (Some of them), X570 and B550 boards are to go for if you want to get 4000 series Ryzen’s in the future.

But that’s as far as upgrading will go as the 4000 series Ryzen’s are the last AM4/AM4+ socket CPU.

We will then be onto the AM5 socket come next year. DDR5 ram definitely, not sure sure on PCIE 5.0 though.

But be careful, some B550 motherboards are dearer than some X570 motherboards. It all depends if you’re just going to run the CPU on stock speeds and it’s own managed auto overclocking.

Or if you’re going into overclocking as well, then it’s best to look at the more expensive line of motherboards as there’s better components on them.

X470 and B450 will get a beta bios some time after launch and may not cover all of them. B550 and X570 have guaranteed support.

True, keeping to B550 and X570 will cause less headaches as the other boards will have smaller bios chips so can see a few different types of bioses to support one set of cpu’s and another to support another set of cpu’s.

Which is fine if you can keep from updating the wrong one and bricking your board.

Some B450/X470 have the larger 256mb UEFI flash chip so not a problem. It’s those that have smaller ones like 128mb or below.

Hence I suggest getting B550 and X570 first above the B450/X470 boards.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.