Need help roleplaying a Human

Hey

I’m currently leveling up a Human Warrior in hopes of roleplaying him in the near future. But the Human race seems so versatile that I kinda feel overwhelmed.

It would be great if someone could point out what kind of roleplay I could delve into with a human, or perhaps what types of guilds I could be looking to join if I choose to fully invest myself in this character.

I’m still fiddling with a few ideas in regards to my character’s background, so any suggestion would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks!

Pretty much any guild works for humans outside of guilds based on other races. There are various military guilds, mercenaries, guilds based around worship of the Light, townsfolk guilds and who knows, maybe even some solid RP guild based around noble RP or cult.

With human, it´s more about what kind of RP you would be interested in rather than what RP is available to the race, since they really can be anything.

1 Like

There’s some great tips in this thread that cropped up recently.

[Discussion] Character Depth

Here is a couple of guilds that accept humans, I would personally suggest sunnyglade ratters thou.

2 Likes

A former city guard dishonorably discharged because of their interest in the underworld, criminal activity and fascination with the Void

2 Likes

Personally I think you should start off with reading about each of the Human Kingdoms. I think you would be better off if you read about them to see which of the Kingdoms appeals to you and then work your way from there on what kind of concept you would prefer, they all have their own kind of individual twist. That doesn’t mean to say you have to be a slick haired, perfumed, knight errant if you’re from Alterac or a rough, barbarian, troll hunter if you’re from Stromgarde but if you do decide to go with a concept it would add an extra flair.

If you are lost then keep it all real simple. I’d say choose a basic class like a warrior. Choose a basic racial background like a Human born in Stormwind. Choose a basic character history like “grew up in stormwind but dreamed of seeing the world”. Find a guild which accepts Humans & let the guild help guide your character story.

2 Likes

As this tends to be true, yes.

You can start really simple birth of place and backstory for yourself. What you do to build up your character, is up to you. Guild helps you build up that story.

Also, don’t go “Yeah, I knew swords (or insert any weapon here) from birth kind of stuff.” Maybe you are still trying learn how to use weapon and such. It brings much more depth to it.

Nobody is born as smith anyways.

• Your character has to hate all non-humans, remember to quote Garithos for extra points.

• If you are a paladin, a warrior or a priest, act like a fanatic and when you do something do not forget to write: “deus vult”. IE: you’re going to the bathroom? Deus vult.

• If you’re a warrior, rogue or hunter, remember: you live in a low fantasy environment and magic classes can never outshine your combat skills. If a mage lets her creativity loose and casts something else than a fireball then she’s a Mary Sue. Also, your weapon has to be dull.

• Being a mage, druid or healer means being a god: you can solve anyone’s problems: your magic has no boundaries and it’s just a way to realize your power fantasy. Friends getting injured or killed can be healed in a second, entire armies can be annihilated by your magic and portals are the best way to travel ever.

• If you’re a warlock, remember to use your class to fight prejudice: those who don’t trust demons are bigots.

• Disguise your despicable IRL traits as IC character flaws. Also remember your character will never have to work upon that flaw and make progress: flaws don’t change over time. People want to interact with a monolithic, stale character.

• Give yourself a title like “lord” or “lady”: keep it generic, it’s just to show off. A generic title like that will turn you into a respected player. Don’t think that your character’s role should have any implication for your character’s personality.

2 Likes

Do this… only if you are a dumbass. Seriously, don’t do any of this OP, it will be for the best.

The best place to start is either a concept you’re drawn too or a personality type that speaks to you. The rest will come naturally once you’ve discovered what the core concept or personality of your character is. You can always try a class trial for a concept and see how you feel when you interact with people, and once you’re comfortable you know its right for you.

If you are interested in a holy order surrounded by Priests and Paladins - Dawn of the Faithful are the guild for you.

There are the Traders Initiative and Dustcloud Corporations if you’re interesting in trading goods, travelling the world and taking part in missions and mercenary work.

Playing a Human can be overwhelming because they’re so versatile and flexible, but that’s the beauty of it. Whether you’re a timid bookworm who is actually a clever spellflinger, a wandering soldier looking to serve and redeem themselves after a discharge, to a forest scout adapting to the world around them who might be socially awkward.

Once you’ve figured out a concept you’re most drawn too, everything else will naturally come to you. I can only suggest trial and error, and don’t be afraid. Just have fun.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.