Nerf combustion already!

Why is this spell still a one button wonder. Remove this brainless spell from the game or at least nerf it! Rogue Mage annihilate 2’s because of this!

11 Likes

You’ll be in for a treat in 9.1. They’re further nerfing infernal cascade (the fire damage buff we get inside combustion) as well as kindling (the thing that lets us have combustion ready more often). Soon, you won’t be seeing any more fire mages in your arena games. Have some patience!

5 Likes

Yeah, instead he’ll be getting slowed to death by ice wall frost mages and assa rogues that are going to deal unhealable damage to you. Dem 20k wogs are going to turn into crimson vial with that assa shiv MS.

You wanted this.

2 Likes

cannot remember anyone to buff frost mages and give assa more dmg and even more utility.

I don’t think it is relevant, most play meteor anyways.

Won’t be enough to break fire mages. Thing is on higher ratings at least that combust only kills if they cannot answer it. It will still kill if you don’t answer it, especially with a partner.

I mean this nerf might kill fire in 2s, but that is dumb to play and dumb to play against anyways, so nobody should complain about that.

2 Likes

Inevitable consequence of complaining about dying in stuns. Sure, people will not die in stuns now, they’ll just die to unhealable assa rogue dmg. Maybe assa warrior will be good?

As it’s supposed to, since fire mage isn’t an affli warlock or a warrior. It’s a cooldown-burst oriented spec. Making every spec into a warrior or an affli warlock isn’t particularly interesting, people prefer to play setup comps as well besides AoE rot.

Fire mages will prolly still be viable, but it seems frost is going to be much more favorable. Ironically it might be better than frost in 2v2 double DPS, but I suspect arcane might take that spot due to the increase of rdruids on the ladder since klepo is arcane only.

I don’t understand why fighting fire is more preferable to fighting warriors, rets, assa rogues, maybe even demon hunters in 9.1? Just use your cooldowns, fade, disperse, trinket swap, and do damage immediately after they finish their go, or do fun clutch things where you silence a mage before a go, or stun the rogue on a go, or pre-md, void elf racial is also sick to catch people off guard.

Idk, rogue mage is only an issue if you have no gear, since you die on the 2nd stun.

no you also die in stuns against assa rogues, especially if the mage combust on you as well.

yes and that is why I say that the “nerf” will really not have that much effect on erasing fire mages from the comps unless frost is so much more busted

I mean all 3 mage specs are probably not bad in 2s right now even in heal/mage comps but honestly nobody wants to play this garbage because the games take usually forever and man it is a mega snore fest for both sides

Simple: against the mongo classes you still get to play the game. Are they busted? yes. Are your chances to win, slim? yes. But at least I can try to play the game.
Sounds stupid but people don’t like to stare at their screen not being able to do anything. Equally people don’t like to randomly get one shotted by rets though, hence the 9048230482 threads about ret.

I don’t have any problems fighting mages or whatever, that is not the point. But you will inevitably get sheeped over and over, because DB, shimmer are still there.

You know why r/m is an issue with me? It is not that I die, because I am usually sapped.
It is whoever I pug with from lfg that dies in the opener because he doesn’t trinket def cd a combust / shadowblade go.
That is basically 0 I can do about that. Telling whoever I play with will not change it the next time I face them either.
So generally it seems to be just very frustrating for pugs, especially the opener. If you survive the opener and didn’t use just about everything it depends if they do tons of mistakes or not if you will take the game from them.
So but after the opener all the do is run away and cc you with whatever they got. Who would think this is fun to play against?
Even if it wasn’t very good or OP I would still tell you that it is 0 fun to play against.
Double rogue or double mage is not thaaat strong and yet I will you those 2 comps are still terrible annoying to play against.

of course the r/m or even just the rogue problem is mostly cause by 226 rogues deleting players in 200 gear that are trying to climb and there is really not too much you can do about it.
Hard to outplay if you are stunned for about 50% of the game and have to rely on your partner to do some plays while you stare at your sap timer for the x time

1 Like

Trust me, you want combustion buffed because you don’t want to fight frost mages.
I’d rather fight fire mages instead of frost mages, that’s for sure.

I’ve only played up to 1600 rating so far, and while I agree combustion needs a nerf, there are ways to counter it, albeit with impeccable timing.

As a healer I will decide with my teammate before the game who uses their trinket and/or defensive for the combustion. I may trinket and pop CDs, or if playing with a rogue have him CC the mage when he tries to open after the usual invisibility into dragon’s breath.

Of course combustion is also dispellable but if the mage has a skilled healer he should put as many dispellable buffs on the mage to reduce the chance of the combustion being dispelled promptly.

As it is combustion is broken but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible to win and against mage+rogue I find I win 80% of games if I can survive the burst at the beginning, up to 1600 rating.

Mages have insane survivability now. and with you and your rogues control, you can pull off that combustion rather easily. My partner was 100%, mage sheeped him while I was blinded. greater pyro, meteor combust and he died in 1 second. The thing with Mage Rogue is, they have resets and enough damage to force defenses without even using combust.

5 Likes

Problem with combustion is that fire mage have all instant spells, you cant kick those, thus imbalance happens. Fire mage just combust and jumps around you and just insta spells 6k 6k 8k 9k 6k happens. They should nerf insta casting for fire mage. Same thing for boomkins, too much insta cast, its like no downsides. Same for rogues and retri paladins , too much everything no downsides.

2 Likes

And here I was playing with a holy pala hoping to meet rogue mage close to 2,1k because they are free wins.

1 Like

Hpala may not be in the best state currently but i really do wonder when hpala teams lose within the first 3 “go’s” to a rogue/mage team. Only way that can happen is overlapping defensives badly or not using defensives in the right way.

people complaining that fire damage is too storng are legit 0 braincells.

you already answered it yourself, “rogue mage” its never the mage damage, its just cc coming from the rogue during our burst"

retri does more damage, can heal, apply shield on others, stun, and become immune to all damage.

boomie can do more damage, even shaman can do more damage, ive seen dks and ww doing more dmg, ive seen almost every class, being on par or beating firemage burst, the fact tthat it works well around rogues and kidneyshots doesn’t mean mage should be nerfed, its already pretty stupid to nerf it, considering its not op.

for example, it might work very well in arena, but what about outisde or arena and in other contest, duels, and bgs, or rated bgs, and yes there is people “caring” about these things, i don’t have a rgoue always with me to kidney my target when im doing dailies and getting ganked 2v1 in open world, or in bg, mage damage is the absolute worst outside combustion, our ccs when we are alone or in bg is total crap, since we only heal enemies only to have sheep broken 3 seconds later by the first random coming by, db often breaks reandomly

every class can put up a cou8nterplay to combustion, and after that u dont even have to wory about the 1k dps mage does

literally a paper class with basically no healings terrible ccs, and NOT the strongest burst in the game, you wanna complain about something ? remove triune ward if you want, idgaf about that, but mage dmg shouldn’t be touched, it should always be top on the meters due to the fact that the class is literally a glass cannon, and if its not a glass, thats the problem, i didn’t start playing mage 15 years ago for it to become a tank class with utility, its a godamn glass cannon class, you can take my shields, stop nerfing our dmg tho, and give me my godamn silence back already, or deep freeze, or w/e. thanks.

Really, a class that presses one button and kills people quickly with instants, and people that complain have no braincells? xD Mages have better mobility than Rets, and they heal also, with plenty of CC. Stop defending something so broken dude. I’m not defending Rets here either.

1 Like

oh yeah ? 1 button, its def not the having 3 stacks of fireblast, 3 shields up to counter dispells, and pressing meteor into combustion and before it lands cast 2 fireblast to proc 2x infernal cascade into 1 pyroblast > 1 fireblast > 1 phoenix flames 1 fireblast WHILE sstanding on rune of power

nAH, its 1 button, he presses combustion and stays afk its over, u got it confused with retri buddy, retri does that, he press hoj, into 1shot.

combust doesn’t kill if you use brain and press a defensive cooldown. it’s that simple lol.

If you get outplayed and triple CC’d, it’s git gud issue.
I’m watching AWC and I could see some combust doing literally nothing because opponents would press simple def cooldowns.

Oh yeah and without devine shield, what defense CD would stand Combustion, especially when you’re stunned and unable to do anything?

2 Likes

press shield of vengance. Or stun the mage. if you are stunned then any class can kill you off right now.

Did you see elemental burst? All instant, undispellable, uninterruptible?
Did you see balance starsurge spam outside convoke?
You are ret, I assume - your burst is ranged and all instant (divine toll, final verdict, judgment) that just can randomly kill people with less time to react.

Mage can guarantee 2x3,5k fireblast + 10k pyro. then it’s GCD with phoenix flames and pyros cast interchangibly. it’s not even as bad as stupid elemental burst. Or the hunt with fel rush.

If you think combust is the “Worst thing in pvp” you are either blind or just trolling.

thats what combustion is, its jsut trading cooldowns with enemies until they kill you, or run out of cooldowns. how does that work out in solo combat ? people trade divineshield for combustion, and then u lose, people trrade fade or dispersion for combustion, and then yuou lose, people trade roar of sacrifice for combustion and then u lose.
and im just4 so tired of pointless nerfs, give us back pvp templates like in legion and stop nerfing mage when its already so easy to beat in any other contest of pvp

ive seen healers, EATING combustion, while i was 5x stacked flamecannon, into disciiplnary command, into berserking, into saltwater

THATS 95% DAMAGE MODIFIER on combustion btw, so thats like 2 combustions, and he eat them with few defensives, while im even bloodlusting, and if you think im doing something wrong, id argue you can watch me play anytime

i can literally clobber 5 people by myself, if they don’t press stuff, and if they do, i can’t kill anything

What Vurtne said is all true.

Also, max geared feral once simply bear-form’d a full combust from me without even stunning me (I was rival geared). In an arena environment btw. It was 1v1 after cross-kill