Nether faerie dragon dodge question

Ok… I maybe a tad slow here. The nether faerie dragon has a skill that adds 100% dodge for one turn. ok…

so turn one. It goes first, casts the dodge skill (Evanescence) I attack… miss.

turn two: it does another attack, still has the dodge buff so my second attack misses too and then the buff drops off.

Isn’t that two turns worth of dodge? What am I missing here? Yes I am that newbie to pet battles :slight_smile:

Love, Moo

1 Like

Yes, you have that right - IF the NFD goes first.

Dodge makes the target unattackable from the time it is cast until the end of the next round.

If the NFD is slower, then:

Round 1: You attack and hit, the NFD Evanescences
Round 2: You attack and miss, the NFD can attack

If the NFD is faster, then:

Round 1: The NFD Evanescences, you attack and miss,
Round 2: The NFD attacks, you attack and miss,

Evanescence always avoids your attack on the next round. If it goes first, it avoids this round, too.

Dodge, or Evanescence, plus speed, avoids two rounds of damage.

This is a very important mechanic in pet battling, and it is used in many cases, not just the NFD. The pre-eminent case is fast Rabbits, with Dodge. You can get Rabbits up to 357 speed, so are often faster then their opponent.

Round 1: Rabbit Dodges, opponent misses
Round 2: Rabbit Flurry-s, opponent misses
Round 3: Rabbit Burrows, opponent misses
Round 4: Rabbit Burrow hits, opponent hits
Round 5: Rabbit hits, opponent hits
and then the Rabbit casts Dodge again, and the sequence continues. Faster Rabbits can avoid 3 out of 5 attacks this way.

This is one of the reasons Speed can be extremely important in a pet, especially if they have an ability that avoids damage.

It seems simple to me now, but I remember how hard to was to get my head around it when I was first trying to grind the Pandaria dailies, using a couple of Rabbit strats. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much :slight_smile: it all makes 100% sense now. Have a pat on the back… you filthy alliance scu… I mean nice person ^^

Love, Moo

1 Like

That is indeed interesting . My Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling Decoy works differently, it gives buff to avoid 2 attacks (for 2 rounds), but even if i’m faster than legendary pet for WQ i’m using decoy, he misses 1 decoy stack removes. It looks like this:

Battle Starts:
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling uses Decoy
Legendary Boss Pet misses
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling uses Thunderbolt
Legendary Boss Pet Misses
MEchanical Pandaren Dragonling uses Breath
Legendary Boss Pet hits.

So it’s completely opposite to 1 round dodge, i’m losing 1 stack of decoy in the same round i cast it even if i’m faster than opponent. That’s strange because 1 round dodge spell works the same as unique 2 round dodge spell :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe the difference is protecting from 2 attacks than protecting for 1 round. Then it would be better if i could be slower than Legendary pet actually ^^

Yeah, Decoy is completely different from Dodge.

Dodge avoids damage from the time it is cast until it ends at the end of the next round.

Your example is actually:

Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling uses Decoy
Legendary Boss Pet hits the Decoy, removing one of the two charges
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling uses Thunderbolt
Legendary Boss Pet hits the Decoy, removing the other charge
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling uses Breath
Legendary Boss Pet hits.

Decoy blocks two “attacks”, but lasts until it has absorbed two attacks. If the opponent doesn’t attack - for example, if he heals, or shields, or passes - the Decoy still stays, for however long, until it has blocked the two attacks.

Now, what is an “attack”? Um.

This has been much discussed. Blizzard’s coding is, er, idiosyncratic. :stuck_out_tongue:

Obviously, a simple normal attack like Crush or Surge is one attack. That’s OK.

But what about, say, Alpha Strike, that hits twice if you are faster. Is that two attacks, for the purpose of Decoy? Well, er, no. Even if you are faster, Alpha Strike will remove only one of the two charges of Decoy.

But Flurry will remove one charge of Decoy for each hit it makes. Flurry hits one or two times, and an extra time if you are faster. And each hit of Flurry will remove one charge of Decoy. If your MPD is facing my Rabbit, and my Rabbit is faster, and you drop a Decoy, it will happen at the end of the round, because you are slower. OK.

Now, at the start of the new round, if I attack with Flurry, and it hits twice, it will remove both of your charges of Decoy. If it hits three times, it will remove both of your charges of Decoy, and then hit your MPD with its last hit.

That’s just the way they wrote it. There is no meaningful or logical way to know whether a multi-hit attack will remove one charge of Decoy per hit, or one charge for all the hits together. You just have to remember which moves do what.

In PvP, we often talk about having a “Decoy-breaker” on your team, a multo-hit attack that counts for two hits on a Decoy, when there are a lot of Decoys (usually from MPDs) in the queue, so you can cancel a Decoy in one round instead of wasting two.

2 Likes

Can you tell me exactly which rabbit do you use? :smiley:

Oh Gawd. :stuck_out_tongue:

That sounds like an eminently simple and reasonable question. It’s not. Halp! :slight_smile:

I have many rabbits.

Mostly, I use any 357-speed rabbit, like a Spring Rabbit, or an Alpine Hare S/S breed. Any 357-speed rabbit is identical to any other 357-speed rabbit for battling purposes. They all have the same health, power, and speed.

Mostly, I use any 357-speed rabbit. Mostly.

When I know my opponent has speed less than 325, I will probably turn to a S/S Grasslands Cottontail, which has Speed of 325. It has higher Power (260) than a Spring Rabbit or other 357-speed rabbit (227), and so it does more damage. As long as it is faster than its opponent, it is fast enough.

Sometimes, I will use other rabbits or rabbit variants, for special cases. In general, the rule with any Need For Speed pet is that it needs to be faster than its opponent, but being 1 faster is just as good as being 60 faster.

If you know in advance how fast you need to be, you can choose a rabbit slower than 357, but still faster than your opponent, if it brings you a bit og extra Power or Health you need.

There are also a couple of rabbit variants, like Dust Bunny and Darkmoon Rabbit, with slightly different moves, that you can call on for specific cases.

1 Like

Thank you! i’ve just started battling pets this week to experience some content that i didn’t touch before and it seems very interesting with all those tactics and thinking :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.