New character -> i want to enjoy the whole WoW story

Hello, i started playing in Legion, so i leveled only one my character from 1-120 and just as fast as possible, because i didnt want to spend so much time on leveling. Then i boosted 2 characters to 100 and 110. Now i want to try something different. When i would be bored/tired from PvP/Raiding/M+ dungeons and acheievments, i want to create character only for Questing, reading all quests, enjoy all storylines and all classic zones that i didnt explored.

Is it possible, when all low level areas are scaled now? Are there some guides, or addons that can help me progress slowly from 0 to max level, without skipping storylines?

I have almost zero knowledge about WoW characters or history and now i want to change it and enjoy the whole WoW Story.
Or are there some interesting WoW books to read? Have you some tips for me?

If you realy want to go through all of the story then just go through quests in each and every zone. If you want it more chronological then choose zones based on their minimal level if it’s higher then it’s a later zone in terms of story. Also go through expansions in order when you finished with “classic” zones: The burning Crusade(Outland), Wrath of the Lich King(Northrend), Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria, Warlords of Draenor, Legion(Broken Isles), Battle for Azeroth(Kul Tiras and Zandalar).

You don’t realy need addons for that, quests are marked on the map and you have list of the chapters for each zone’s story.

As for books, if you want the brief summary, Warcraft Chronicles are a good place. If you want more details and character driven stories there are whole bunch of books. None of them tell the exact story you find in the game, they just expand it or sometiems bridge the gap between expansions.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

I want to ask one more question. Is story much different by example tauren and blood elf? Or is it different in first 10 or 20 levels and from there is it same?

Vanilla is very different from the addons.
There isnt really a overarching story, instead theres many different and intersecting mini stories across both continents.
Apart from the starting zone storylines, all races will experience the same stories

1 Like

Starting zones are different for each race, so 1-5 are pretty much more or less exclusive to specific race, rest of that zone can be done with other races. For example, Valley of Trials is for Orcs but rest of Durotar can be done by any race of the horde.

Exception are Worgen, Goblin and Pandaren, their whole zones from 1-13 are special instances only for them, they are more focused on their story and after you finish them you can’t go back there.

There is a kind of natural flow from zone to zone if you ignore the message board which sends you to all sorts of zones all over the place. As you reach the end of one it should send you into the next.

1 Like

Dont forget classic was revamped in Cataclysm… And now zones send you just about everywhere.

If you want to experiance the story rush to lvl 60. Tgen start Tge burning crusade. Do all quests and read it. Then go to Nortrend and do it all.

After that make fresh toon and do 1-60. Tgen do Cataclysm - MoP - Draenor - legion and now BfA.

TL DR
Story: (chronological)
TBC - WotLK - Azeroth (1-60) - Cata - MoP - WoD - Legion - BfA

If you ignore the war board/notice board things and just follow the quests the flow into next zone still exists.

I’ve tried to think of the best answer for this question several times.

There is no good answer.

Maybe that’s OK, because WoW is not a linear start-to-finish story. It’s a mesh of different stories from different time, and just one part of a far longer universe (or universes.) :slight_smile:

The best answer I have, if you have a 120, is this:

Choosing: Make 1 Horde character and one Alliance character. One way to choose that might be interesting is to make one character of each race and level them to 5 or so, out of their starting zone. That doesn’t take long, and lets you get a short feel of each character.

Classic: Quest through Kalimdor on your Horde character. Quest through Eastern Kingdoms on your Alliance character. You can do it the other way, but that’s the most natural. Except, BE SURE to run your Horde character through Tirisfal Glades, regardless. It gives a key insight into the Forsaken. Oh, and level your Worgen until you get out of Gilneas. These two zones will explain the Greymane-Sylvanas relationship.

There isn’t much end-game at 60, so you might as well proceed. By all means, see the Classic dungeons and raids, but I wouldn’t say order was important.

60-80: Send one character to Outland and the other to Northrend. Quest through accordingly.

There is quite a bit that is interesting in Northrend at end game. You won’t be able to solo anything on your levelling character, but you can see it on your 120. Do the Heroic dungeons and raids in order - Wowpedia and Wowhead will give you the details. Especially, do the three ICC dungeons in order before ICC itself.

Outland isn’t quite as interesting, and the story is not as coherent, but it’s still worth understanding why Magtheridon is below Hellfire Citadel, what Lady Vashj is up to, and to catch up with Gorefiend, whom you met in Shadowmoon, in Illidan’s Black Temple.

80-90: Same goes for Cataclysm and Mists. One character each. In Cataclysm, the raids just cap the stories which are almost entirely in the zones. In Mists, a lot of the story is told after you have finished questing. I note especially the great 5.1 storyline of Garrosh, Anduin, and the Bell. Isle of Thunder has an entire development and disposal of a huge character. Siege of Orgrimmar and the Scenarios is huge story-wise.

90-100: In Draenor, your Alliance and Horde will start in different zones, so that will get you half way through Draenor on each of them. You can safely split Gorgrond, Spires, Nagrand between them. There isn’t much end-game story left in Draenor now, since Blizzard tore out the Legendary, but the opening of Tanaan Jungle is worth doing.

8 Likes

With level scaling, it’s both easier to do this, but also, in many ways, less rewarding.

I would get to max level for each expac, then turn off xp until you finish the quests and anything else worth doing.

It’s possible to do every single quest on one run through, but it might be more fun to pick your route - don’t do everything, but complete stories / expacs.

I would recommend an undead alt:

1-10 undead starter area.

10-60 Tirisfal Glades; Silverpine Forest; Hillsbrad Foothills; Arathi Highlands; The Hinterlands; Western Plaguelands; Eastern Plaguelands.

60-80 Wrath of the Lich King - I would aim to do everything here and the order isn’t hugely important, but Howling Fjord; Grizzly Hills; Dragonblight; Zul Drak; Storm Peaks; Icecrown will tell the story well (then either do Sholazar Basin and Borean Tundra at the end or leave them for the next run through.

80-90 MoP - full clear

90-100 WoD - full clear

100-110 Legion - full clear

In every case, I would get to max level for the zones (e.g. 60 for Classic) and then turn off xp until you’re ready to progress.

Suggestions:

1. No heirlooms - just makes levelling more fun as the quest rewards / drops actually matter then.

2. Try and ‘clear’ content whilst at level - get fishing/pet/dungeon/exploring/reputation achieves while you’re in the relevant level bracket.

3. Play a decent soloing class. Hunter is the obvious choice, but ymmv. Part of doing a full clear is doing everything and it can be difficult to find other players for some of the group quests.

4. If you’re not doing everything in the one run through (missing some zones and choosing expacs as above), stick to dungeons from your expac.

2 Likes

If you just want to experience story - @ Max lvl it will be faster. You can one shot all the stuff.

Most tedious thing will be read all quests - killing 10 boars quest explanation hardly has any story stuff.

About diff expansions
Revamped classic - it’s good one compare to old classic. Each zone has own story now.
TBC - most tedious expansion for loremaster for me. Story peices are scattered. Sometimes you will get many quests together leads to different story.
WoLK - better than TBC also good story.
Cata, MoP, WoD, Legion, BFA - Linear Questing introduced in game. Questing is fun in these expansions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.