New Graphics card or processor?

Hi all

here is my current setup:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G With Radeon Vega Graphics 8GB
Graphics Card: Radeon RX 570
Memory: 16GB
Windows: 10
Hard Drives: 2 x SSD

What would you recommend upgrading? like ive said in a previous post, I can play confortably on wow on number 7, though when to be able to go higher without any noticeable issues.

Thanks

Grab yourself a Ryzen 5 3600 (CPU) to start with; the CPU still does the majority of the work in WoW, so that’s gonna generate your frames and will do so less tirelessly that a 2400G. The same spend on a graphics card alone will hamstring the 2400G more heavily.

If you’re playing at 1080p, the RX570 will still be more than capable.

Hi Eighjan

So you are saying my graphics card is fine as long as i get a better CPU? is there anything better than the Ryzen 5 3600 just so i can compare the two?

Thanks

Ryzen 5 3600 is the best value. There are stronger SKUs but at much higher price and they show that power in compute tasks and only some games (or when gaming + streaming + recording + whatnot). RX 570 is quite good, while some BfA zones already show an FPS decrease when going from 6 to 4 cores on a i5-9400F (Intel is good for core-disable comparisons).

You can check my GPU tutorial: https://rk.edu.pl/en/benchmarking-and-analyzing-world-warcraft-performance/#6 where I have RX470 (pretty much the same as RX570) and quite often it’s very high on the chart (versus Vega 64).

In terms of modern stuff I have R5 3500X vs Intel i5-9400F - https://rk.edu.pl/en/ryzen-5-3500x-versus-i5-9400f-world-warcraft/ where R5 3500X is an Asia-only SKU that doesn’t have hyperthreading, while R5 3600 has (for gaming they are pretty much 1:1) - that was done with GTX 1070. With Vega 64 Ryzen had bit better 1% low and bit better average FPS in more dynamic benchmark scenarios.

Just note that those benchmarks were done at mode 7. Going to mode 9 may push GPU more than the CPU (will have to test this). Alternatively you would have to go to mode 9 and then lower some settings that aren’t that much impactful on looks but limit performance (like shadows or alike).

While you have an X570 motherboard, you could put any Zen2 CPU on it that you want, but much past the 3600 you start getting into diminishing returns; you could get a Ryzen 9 3950X (£690) but the price difference compared to a Ryzen 5 3600 (£175) won’t get the the same magnitude of performance difference.

Without knowing your budget for upgrading, a new CPU will get you the best ‘boost’, and I went for the best bang for buck & the CPU I use myself.

It depends. Upping the draw distance and also the environmental details, to 8 and above increases the draw calls extremely (CPU).
The water on max, is another very demanding setting (GPU).
Shadows too.
But overall the CPU is more important than the GPU in WoW.

I would also recommend you get the Ryzen 3600, with a BIOS update it should run on your motherboard (check first).
This is a huge upgrade over the rather slow 2400g.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.