New interview with Steve Danuser

i dont have any of those anymore … for the horde lok’tar ogar!
personally i don’t mind blightcaller Amazoner but i think he works best in small dosage

Derailing!!!

Well… the contradiction here doesn’t have to be that great as it sounds. Characters and story threads can be internally consistent, without being consistent with each other or the world around them. The Battle for Azeroth could be a consistent story, while breaking with quite a few things that came before, for instance, and Anduin could have a consistent character arc, while twisting the world around him to suit that arc…

I certainly don’t think this signals respect for consistent worldbuilding.

Not really. The problem was that it was on him. So Anduin didn’t see Teldrassil or Undercity coming? So what? He shouldn’t have to. He is the least experienced one in the room. The problem isn’t that he made mistakes, the problem is that everyone else must have made the same mistake. That he told Tyrande to stay in Stormwind instead of helping in Darkshore, or that Tyrande acted on Shaw’s faulty information by sending away her best troops is not just Anduin’s fault, it is Tyrande’s. That the Alliance troops, including Genn Graymane as a senior commander, did not forsee that the Forsaken would use blight is not just Anduin’s fault, it’s theirs as well.

It could have been Anduin’s flaw - if he had willfully ignored his advisors who knew better. But they didn’t write it that way. Stuff like that wasn’t about Anduin’s character. It was about the Alliance’s combined competence.

It was. That’s why I really don’t know why they bothered with 8.3 at all…

Nah, the Alliance will deal with that without attacking the Horde in any relevant way. We always do…

2 Likes

…an extremely badly done clean-up expansion created with the sole purpose to deal with all the unsolved problems and mysteries on Azeroth.

2 Likes

I mean, it could have been an expansion about faction pride, if it did not start with the literal genocide of one of the two factions.

Purge of Dalaran was a great moment in MoP. I felt a lot of faction pride. I guess Battle of Dazar’alor is the equivalent of that, especially since Jaina proved to be ruthless towards her foes, but it was not the same thing. There’s something that was missing, idk. Maybe the long-term consequences. After the Purge of Dalaran, the city joined the Alliance. After the Battle of Dazar’alor, the Alliance gets the advantage in the war… only to lose it literally next patch for no reason (since not only was the bulk of the Kul Tiran fleet not caught in the trap in Nazjatar, but the army was also left unscathed, and it was winning in every front).

1 Like

As a german I am not sure how that precludes unreasonable pride in your people. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Yeah…doubt that.

It was more of a spitting contest the new writing team opened in order to rewrite/overwrite previous lore and stories when these were under different management.
To the point they decided to tell again the same story we had some years ago.

The only “unsolved problems” they dealt with, were the ones they created themselves in this same expansion.
And the attempts at presenting some closure for any of the other ones, instead of solving them, basically ruined whatever narrative arch they touched.

2 Likes

Cause the germans in this case were the other side. We were Poland.

It is not my place to tell a person they cannot be proud of something they made. However, I admit that while reading the interview at one point I had a vague feeling that I’m reading some /r/delusionalartists material. The cynical part of me wonders if it was the suits that forced Steve Danuser to put on his PR face and act like a memetic dog stuck in a burning building, or if he actually is genuienly proud of how BFA went.

That said, it does disappoint me that they seem intent on continuing their policy of creating “deeper stories.” Don’t get me wrong, I love me a deep, complex story. My problem is that Blizzard is simply not good at those–not to mention it doesn’t help at all that due to the nature of the game plot points often get stretched out to the point of bursting. The fact that Danuser mentions embracing that quality–which I personally consider to be the single weakest point–doesn’t really make me very optimistic. In the storytelling department it seems like Blizzard has aspirations which are simply too high.

All in all I feel like this particular interview brought pretty much nothing new to the table, which is a little disappointing. I hoped for more.

5 Likes

And it failed miserably on achieving that purpose. All it managed to achieve is creating a much deeper and more convoluted mess.

1 Like

In the end they succeeded in a twisted way: Aszhara and N’zoth are gone as the two last big bads on Azeroth, as everyone and everything else has already been defeated. From elemental lords and dragons to the Lich King all the way up to the Burning Legion and titans. So now they have essentially a clean slate to work with. Sylvanas, as the last problematic part of the Horde, has also been moved into the straight-up villain area.

At least for me the intention of BfA was clear: It being a checklist of all the things people have been asking for in years. Kul Tiras? Zandalar? Aszhara? N’zoth? All done and wrapped up.

How well this was handled is another thing completely. It was a complete mess from start to finish, turning the Horde into villains again, giving the Alliance plenty of ammo to fight them (but at the same time being hold back, because reasons), Aszhara and N’zoth being killed in a single patch instead of being build up over several ones etc.

Here we can hope that they leave this mess behind, similar to how WoD was handled. It being mostly ignored and forgotten outside of getting playable Mag’har in a convoluted and frankly stupid way.

You see this is a problem, when you write a war story but only focus on the fighting-part instead of everything around it. Like manpower, logistics, supply routes, economy and so on. I mean the Alliance also won Arathi and Darkshore, even though literally in the same patch where this statement was made Anduin and Saurfang talk about how Sylvanas forces are stonger than theirs. So what armies were fighting in these areas?

Except Azshara just left to do her own stuff after we freed her in Ny’alotha.

We need someone to start the inevitable Void-expansion, right?

Anduin probably got his numbers from Shaw, and we all know how wellyou can depend on SI:7 intelligence… :wink:

2 Likes

They managed to deal with them in such a bad way, that i may have automatically shut the part of my brain charged with accepting it.

They somehow wrote a story where the smartest Old God was defeated by the sheer stupidity that had him handing over the lone mean that could’ve actually harmed him.
And also ended the arch of the villain infamously known because of an army that spanned across the oceans, with being defeated by a bunch of ragtag survivors from a shipwreck.

This isn’t solving a problem. This is just…breaking the story.

They could now declare that either/both bad guys were in fact weak doppelgangers and i would believe said theory to be plausible.

3 Likes

I strongly disagree with it, it was very bad excuse to put Horde under really forced and repeated story that had more holes than swiss cheese.
And it was a very bad excuse to deny Horde a more nuanced story and show Alliance in more questionable one. Here they’re only focusing on Horde that has defects, while I assume Alliance doesn’t have such at all, which I also found to be very untrue. It feels very artificial to split one faction as the baddies that not even “wise Vol’Jin” could save while Alliance is all good and pristine - how the heck could we know it since they never bothered to develop him, they threw him away the first chance they get to make this atrocious story happen. I strongly believe Vol’Jin could lead Horde in an interesting way and define it to be a truly great faction.

(“This world give us nothing, it is our lot to suffer and our duty to fight back” - sounds super proud and badass to me and very fitting for a faction consisting of races which are known from a warrior culture. They were not raised in luxuries, they had to work to survive and fight their best. That would be faction to get behind and not attacking someone because “they might attack us in the future”.)

Words cannot convert my disappointment with such an approach. I fundamentally disagree with it, but at this point, I can’t be bothered. At least I still have Zandalari.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.