New MMORPGs?

You guys think that classic could start a spike of new MMORPGs? Since there is clearly a market for it and classic will be over at some point, the players will need somewhere to go.
What would you like to see in a new MMORPG?
I personally would like:

• Keep the simple skills for leveling
  • Unique items that are awesome for a long period of the game (A reason why Classic wow and diablo 2 are still popular).
  • The extremely varied character costumization for PvP in Guild Wars 2.

I don’t think Classic could start something new, the remastered genre have been going wild the past years and a lot of small indie companies are releasing new games with the old spirit

But maybe the release and interest in Classic can inspire Blizzard til create a new game that makes you want to enter and play every day :slight_smile:

:thinking:
Such a tough question - I can’t really say.

I think the only way I can answer that question is to compare Classic and retail (I am not a super fan of one, I play both):
I sometimes get the feeling that there is too much in retail, it’s overwhelming - zones, quest, events, pet battles, expansions, world pvp, battle grounds, garrison, dungeons, mission boards, daily quest, rep… so much to choose from and where to start.

It can be tiresome to decide what to do sometimes.

In Classic there isn’t enough, but it is simple. And even though I think stuff like professions are put in front, it still doesn’t feel like it works with a purpose.

I would like a more direct way to follow, and then the need to go into depths with the things at hand, like skills, professions or even the use of such things like garrison or mission board.

I get what you mean. Any developer can create a new MMORPG and people will shake their head, some will try it out, but if Blizzard does it, it’s a different story.

The thing is, most developers have fallen on this is that they’re trying to find that WoW killer in the first place and even Blizzard is somewhat fallen for that as well in some regard.

When game publishers get to realise that if you really want to make something big again that it’s like growing a plant/tree and that it takes time and should be done slowly with making various smaller games to build up the IP, get fans interested in a set world, invest their time and emotional on the characters.

And that’s before you even think about making said IP into a MMO. As such it’s worked with games in the past, it’s what made ESO do much better than Wildstar and has kept the likes of Everquest 1 and 2 still run today, even with it’s small userbase.

Most failures have been due to rushing it far too quickly and expecting instant results. It took Blizzard 10 years before even bringing WoW out as Warcraft 1-3 helped on building that foundation.

Same with ESO, they had Elderscrolls 1-5 help build up the lore, characters and the world to get their MMO out.

A good MMO is something that has a lot of groundwork done beforehand but also a lot more lore and all to build on the world during it’s life.

Best thing for WoW, it needs one or more solo games to build on the lore a bit more, if only to bring new enemies to be built on for future encounters in the MMO. Same for making new characters or expanding on characters we do have but aren’t used as much so we’re not that fussed about how they are right now in WoW itself.

The really best MMO’s? Those would be ones that have solo games to help expand the universe alongside it. Basically we need Warcraft IV and beyond to help keep WoW running.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.