New patch performance issues

Okay let’s make it as short as possible.

Prepatch i had everything set on 7, AA almost on max, fps locked at 60 with v-sync and i had stable 60 fps wherever i were (~100fps with v-sync off). My laptop ran silent and gently, temps were around 50 Celsius degree max, GPU utilization was at 60% max. After patch came live my pc is struggling to keep 48 fps in the same areas with the same settings, cpu usage peaks at 90%, gpu usage goes to 80%, while playing wow alone with no other apps in background ram usage stays at 6 GB. I have brand new laptop bought not full month ago. What 8.1.5 changed so my laptop can’t handle this game freely anymore? There were no graphical upgrades or anything, just resources usage x2 and fps divided by half for me. IMO patch 8.1.5 introduced some failed optimalization which is hurting my pc. I play on I7 7700HQ with 16GB RAM GTX1060 6GB 512SSD Win10.

I want to note again that day before patch everything worked excellent, i didn’t make any change in my system, i just logged off, went to work, and when i was back i have updated game and clicked play and then miracles happened.

I should post it on support forums but blizzard doesn’t care about that, so i’m asking you fellow players if you know what could happen. Cheers

1 Like

I would like some clarification about this issue aswell.
I too noticed a increased amount of use from resources, expecially RAM.

The best thing would be to try and profile the game with HWinfo, Latencymon, Glasswire, RAMMap, MS Process Explorer and whatnot to see what could be going on. Also some synthetic/generic benchmark like UserBenchmark and 3DMark or Superposion to be sure it performs within expected percentiles. Also check if temps are ok across the system.

I’m planning some WoW benchmarking and profiling including those apps. On AMD system didn’t notice anything special changed in 8.1.5 but Nvidia it still to be tested (1060, 1050 Ti and few older generations at the low-end).

Things you can test to see if it’s affecting performance more than other:

• Go to Karazan raid, go to the dining rooms and aggro mobs from two rooms and check performance when you have all the mobs in FOV and when not
  • Go to Dalaran Legion and fly at low altitude above the main street
  • Go to a cave near Xibala in Zuldazar (Azerite WQ sometimes) and check of the foggy effects affect performance. Other options is Nighthold and looking into the room below Botanist as well as doing Botanist and Tichondrius fights (let them print some effects).
  • Fly over Boralus from FP below it to a FP above it on the map while keeping it in FOV and moving out (sky) for reference
  • World boss in a very large group (or LFR if not possible).

Bigkeg i appreciate your work on this field. But you try to do Blizzard’s job. You try to check all these things to give them feedback, blizzard doesn’t care about feedback. They will tell you to reset your ui/addons, won’t listen to you even if you have proof files about things. This is one of the biggest issues, crippling communication between devs and players.

I admire their reasoning that any hardware/performance issue can be resolved by a 3-step help page. :wink: But I’m here to play with some hardware under the umbrella of just playing a video game… who know, maybe we will convince them to add a benchmark-cutscene or even make it a halo-benchmark with leatherboards so tech press uses WoW as prominent benchmark.

The thing is WoW started to be more resource heavy without any positive impact on performance, no textures that were upgraded, no bigger resolution, anything. In that case WoW would be LoLed the same as Gothic 3 was, most broken optimalization ever :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking at the forums and how the game works for me… this game has RNG even for FPS metrics.

Older test on 8.1 with 10W Pentium J5005 and GTX 1050 Ti reaches pretty much what you report for i7-7700HQ and GTX 1060 but at 3440x1440 resolution (like really, WTF):

If i understand correctly you could run WoW with no problems on this machine with patch 8.1 and now with patch 8.1.5 i have better spec than yours and my pc is struggling even if nothing except patch has changed?

Still have to re-test it for 8.1.5 but on my main PC nothing seems to have changed (or it’s just to much of an overkill…). As the performance is so RNG from PC to PC it becomes mandatory to be able to pin-point what’s happening and what is not so that a link to 3-point “help” page won’t be a “sufficient reply” :slight_smile:

Agreed. People like me are angry and/or paniced because something is wrong and they don’t know what it is. Blizz will always tell you to reset ui/addons or will find lesser apps in your diags which are unimportant but will tell you that this is the problem. I’m following every topic about performance on support forums and you would CTRL + C, CTRL + V most posts there to another one.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.