New Player - about classic zones

1- I’m talking about Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor classic zones, not cata zones

I heard that These “Classic” zones are actually storylines that take place after the Wrath of the Lich King events,

so should I play woltk expansion first before going to these classic zones ?

2- one more question - how can i make campaign chapters apear in the quest log i wanted to insert an image for example but it doesn’t work but i guess some of you will know what i mean.
does it apear automatically once i start to play the expansion anyway ?

The original Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor zones were made in Classic/Vanilla, and were not changed during the first two expansions, The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King. So whether you play true Classic, or TBC, or Wrath, they will be exactly - or nearly exactly - the same. Same maps, same quests, same characters.

In Cataclysm, the expansion after Wrath, the maps were changed by the upheaval of the world, and the characters and quests were largely changed as well, and updated to be in the same year as the Cataclysm.

So should you play Wrath first? No, not on that basis alone. The stories in these Classic zones were less coherent and more fragmented than in the Cata versions of the zones. There are reasons to play Wrath, but that ain’t one of them.

The first expansion where you get a real Campaign, in the sense of a linear story, is Warlords.

If you are a new player, and starting after level 10 in Battle for Azeroth, then the Campaign stage and current quest will appear at the top of your Quest Log automatically.

1 Like

I’m actually playing retail and I’m enjoying , I don’t intend to play classic.
During playing as an undead race - I found out that events happen after Wrath of the Lich King - They are talking about the Lich king was defeated (Silverpine Forest)

in that case I see that playing Tbc before these classic zones is the right choice , isn’t it ?
as it is considered the oldest content in retail
so it will be in that order
tbc
woltk
classic zones
cata zones
note : I already know that if i want to play classic/vanilla is only accessible in classic version but that’s not my question , i want to play the story in retail

Yes, this will be the order of the oldest content in Retail.

P.S. Technically, the Classic Zones in Retail are at the same time as the Cata Zones, all of them take place in Year 28-29.

Here is a Timeline of events in the Warcraft Universe

The Burning Crusade starts in Year 26.

The War against the Lich King happens in year 27.

The Shattering, which starts Cataclysm, takes place in Year 28.

(Boy, these peoplr really can’t catch a break!)

Are the classic zones take place before new cata zones ? Or new cata zones first
Because there are geographical changes due to cata

Do you also recommend me to play as a blood elf ? As their starting zones are in tbc or just pick any of the original races and then start to play in tbc as soon as reaching level 10

All zones in the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, whether original classic zones or added in Cata, are in the same time according to Azeroth years.

Except the Draenei and Blood Elf starting zones. Draenei and Blood Elves were not in Classic at all. They and their starting zones were added in TBC. They were not changed in Cata, and are still in their original timeline. Though for starting zones, that doesn’t really matter. And as soon as you leave your starting zone, you are in Cata again.

So it seems to fit with your plan to make a Blood Elf.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.