New player - choosing a class

Hi everyone, i recently started playing WoW and Wow Classic for the first time! I was always fascinated when i was little, and i remember seeing Wrath of the Lich King everywhere in the stores back then, and i couldn’t tell my parents there was such thing as a monthly sub, so yea, i ended up playing a stupid clone (4Story) that i really enjoyed for its combat system and the community!
Anyways, i’m in Italy, quarantined, not much money but wanted to try one month of this vanilla experience, and retail aswell for the different combat system. I was always used to moving during combat, with very few abilities with a “hard cast” of 1-1,5 seconds. It’s been two days where i can’t find the class for me.
In Classic i chose a mage, and probably keep it that way, but in Retail i really don’t know what to do.
I’d like a dps class and was trying to watch some endgame gameplay to choose from. I really like the animations of the Enh Shaman, and the fact that it’s a spec that requires many abilities to use, not just spam two abilities like fire mage. But at the same time the mage can go frost and arcane, which is pretty versatile!
What i’m looking for is having a class that’s fun to level, fun to use, more than spamming one button, and that feels rewarding. I want to play every content in the game and not feel gated completely from doing things at 120. That doesn’t mean that i necessarly wouldn’t consider off meta stuff, top priority is having fun with my class and my combat system, not having the best class for a meta that will eventually change!
I both like melee and ranged, but i don’t like a stationary caster that just stays there, waits 3 seconds to cast a spell over and over. I don’t like hunter, i know it’s very advised for new players but i actually want to learn to game, not make it easier. I like both to kite and go face smashing. I both like dps and burst ST and AOE. Having a class that can do both (not at the same time, obviously), and has the versatility to spec into it depending on the situation would be a great plus.
I don’t want to use DK or DH because well, i’m new and want to start from zero. I don’t necessarly want to be top charts every raid, but i want to feel satisfied and not seem like i tickle mobs with my spells.
So here we are, i’m stuck like this with so many questions for days. I’m sorry for the long post but i’m going crazy and wanted to be precise on what i’d like to play. My top priority is feeling rewarded, having fun with my class and why not, having cool animations, and want to avoid just sitting in one place spamming 3 seconds abilities. Plus, having a versatile class that allows me to swap to a different playstyle could be a plus, but not a necessity. I kinda hate being too gated from GCD, which is my main problem with the combat system, but havin hard cast spells is not a problem if the whole rotation doesn’t revolve around that one ability you have to spam. Point is, i want to feel fluid in combat, even if after charging up many spells, i release a hard cast on the enemy, i just don’t want to spam firebolt whole time like in Classic.
So, no DK-DH-Hunter. Was trying to limit to Shaman (i can both be ranged or melee - which seems funnier than elemental and has super cool animations-, be a wolf and run around) and Mage (i heard great AOE and kiting from Frost, good mobility on arcane but suck endgame) so i ask you, what would be better for what i described? Please please if you have other suggestions tell me, i want to hear the good and the bad of every other class, my limitation was for me to not go completely mad and ending up not playing anything, but i want every suggestions you guys have except the three classes i’m sure i don’t want to play mentioned above.
I really hope i explained myself and didn’t annoy you too much but had to be as precise as possibile.
Feel free to suggest whatever and ask whatever, i watched tons of videos but doesn’t mean i saw full potential of every class, so i’m very ignorant and surely there are many things i missed.

Here is the best general help I can offer: an overview review of each and every class in BfA. Videos are better than text for this. Watch, and pick the one you like the look of.

Sorry, there really is nothing in your statement that tells me that you’d prefer, say, a Windwaker Monk to a Balance Druid.

If you like Enhance, try Enhance. With the loot stat arrangement at high level, it’s easy enough to play both Enhancement and Elemental specs using mostly the same gear, which would give you a ranged and melee option.

1 Like

I made myself a post like this like a week ago. Since i made the post until i finally chose a class i tried them all once again. Looks like you want a piano class or something that presses a lot of buttons. I only like melee so im only going to talk about them from my newbie point of view.
Enh sham has very little ammount of buttons early on which is what made me give up on it, but in endgame is more spammy.
The windwalker monks mastery is that if u dont repeat attacks you do more damage so you obviously wont be pressing the same button over and over again.
Fury warrior seems to be a very fast paced spec in which you always have something to do and feels like… idk how to put it, that it flows(?).
The 3 classes have a lot of burst from what i’ve seen and tried and i know that you said no dks, but frost dks feel very smooth and fast to play, only played it to lvl 70 to make a dh tho, but i started to enjoy it and i might go back to play it from time to time.
From a newbie to a newbie this is all i can give, i hope it helps. GL choosing!

1 Like

I’ll watch, thank you!

I’d say that looking at a Druid could be an idea - they can be jack of all trades and have some fun shapeshifts. You can smash face in feral, or stand and damage from afar as Moonkin form. Alternatively you can heal or decide to tank too :slight_smile:

Don’t forget you can also use the Class trial to check out different characters at 110 to get an idea how they feel after you’ve levelled them some :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d be tempted to say this might be the way to go.

Healing druid brought me back to retail, and fire mage kept me here.

The Druid is such a fun class to play, you can do anything in game and do it pretty well!

1 Like

I’d love to, but i don’t have the latest expansion so it’s kind of counterintuitive, i find myself switching between low lever chars so much these days!

Just in case you’re still stuck;

Try These

Fury/Arms/Prot Warrior. Okay it can feel a bit spammy but the trick is getting priorities right on fury and not just hitting any old button on arms, it’s got a nice bit of depth to it. The class is extremely fluid and has next to no downtime. The numbers are tasty and the class feels great with a giant leap and charge.

Windwalker/Brewmaster amazing mobility and lots of amazing actions. Combo/Energy so you have to be mindful of what you do and when. It removes said spammy feeling of warrior and makes you use your noodle a tad more Imo. Plus you get a tank/healer/DPS in case you ever fancy dipping your toes in something else.

As you said Enhancement shaman is also an extremely fun pick, though they tend to suffer in one area or another they do have a very solid feel to them and the totems just add to the experience. Not to spammy but a bit RNG reliant. Elemental however is a bit turret based.

Thanks for the reply man! Since then i leveled to 120 with a Shaman, i have a Warrior at 110 and working on other classes. I feel like every class i’m playing has something to it that i like but then end up leveling so many char and not sticking to one. I feel like mostly every class right now is build/spend. There is little difference between specs and the GCD is something i never had to deal with in any other game and feels awful.
Right now i’m trying to find a profession to stick onto and gather/craft things but so much to catch up from every expac.
Leveling a Druid, Paladin and Warlock now. I hate too much the moonkin form, but Druid seems very fun to play with shapeshifts and such, but i’m lvl50 balance and jesus christ it’s boring.
What are the classes that in your opinion play well in every end game content and feel good at 120 with decent ilvl and essences?

I found balance extremely boring at low levels. For me, it came into its own at max level, and I love it now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.