New player - couple questions

Hello,

I have few qustion. I just started playing WoW, brought BoA and upgrated my one character to 110 lvl. I know now that it was bad idea,
because I would like to go through all additions.

Do you recommend playing with a level 110 character, level it up to 120 and collect gear?

Or should I start a new one from the beginning (level 1)?

I also played demon hunter and death night and i noticed, that they start at much higher levels, they are bypassed by the entire alliance / horde story, they only have theirs.

Welcome to WoW!

Yes, I think that was a mistake - for most people, at least.

It’s not just about missing the story. It’s about not learning all the things the game teaches you along the way: geography, vendors, bags, travel, UI and addons and macros, XP, trade, communication, buffs, passives, roles. And trhen the systems you sign up for at max level are a bit elaborate anyhow, but when you have no grounding in the game before it, they really seem pointlessly complicated.

Instant boosts to 110 can be great for people returning to the game after years, or existing players who want another character, but not usually productive for beginners.

If you have played a lot of another MMO like FFXIV before, you will already have a lot of the concepts, and can likely struggle through translating your existing knowledge, but if you are new to MMOs, it’s very tough. Many people struggle with it and give up and start again from level 1.

However, that doesn’t make your 110 useless. :slight_smile: Most players keep several characters of different classes, races. You can make a new level 1 of another class, and play that mostly for now, while taking your 110 for a cautious spin now and again as well.

Death Knight and Demon Hunter are in their own “worlds” when the start, but after playing through their origin stories, they are let out into the main world to join everyone else. DK plays separately from level 55-58, and DH from level 98-100. Again, those classes are meant for people who have already played through at least that far.

3 Likes

Hey Lucras! Welcome to World of Warcraft :). Our knowledgeable regular Gráinne has already provided you with a fitting answer - thank you! <3

Personally I wouldn’t consider your personal decision a mistake, but I have been very vocal in the past that I do not recommend new players use their boosts right away, precisely for the reasons Gráinne lays out for you above. It can be an incredibly confusing experience unless you have a friend or experienced player taking you under their wing, and it doesn’t sound like that’s the case from your post. You can also end up playing a class you end up not feeling comfortable with, even something as flexible as a Paladin with all 3 roles available to it, and your boost is meant to be a final decision.

I would echo the recommendation of starting a new character just for you to get comfortable with some of the game mechanics of WoW. It doesn’t mean you’ll have to abandon your boosted character but you’re much more likely to feel comfortable with the type of play style, ability rotations and general world interaction when it’s introduced to you in the way we intended for a new player, by starting from level 1 with a few basic abilities instead of a much more front-loaded way through a boost to level 110.

That said this forum is the perfect place for you to ask any new player questions you might have, so regardless of what you choose to do please don’t hesitate to ask away! :).

Above all, have some fun which I’m sure you will!

2 Likes

Thank you all for answers, I really appreciate this :slight_smile:
I have one more: I see now, how many quests I have available when i discover a new location. I want to do them all - most of them are really nice to do, but I wonder if this will now make me to greedy…some location are from 1-60/16-50lvl etc., and if i will be doing all quests in every location, will i be able to done all “story” for Orc in every land, before getting max level and being useless on first, low-lewels lands?
Or maybe should i trust “Adventure Guide -> Suggestion content” and always follow this, when i end all quests in one location?
I really want to make all available story for my race, so that’s why i am asking this qustion.

PS. Sorry for my english

Your English is great!

There aren’t any - well there aren’t many - specific Orc quests. All Horde races can do the same quests. It’s just that Orcs and Trolls start in the same zone. Trolls have a few quests at the start introducing them to their people. But after that, they do the same quests in Duratar.

Orcs and Trolls do the same quests in Duratar from about level 5 to level 10 or 15. After that, they typically move on to Northern Barrens quests. In Northern Barrens, they will typically be joined by other Horde races also doing the same quests - mosutl Tauren, since it’s nearer for them, but also Blood Elves and Undead.

Apart from a few quests up to about level 10 at the start, races don’t have their own specific story.

Story in WoW works like this:

1. Each zone has its own separate story
  2. All characters can do every zone from level 20 onwards (except 3 zones in BfA that are reserved to the Horde only or Alliance only)
  3. In expansions after Vanilla, from level 60 onwards, the zone stories all join into a larger story of the expansion, which is only resolved in the dungeons and raids rather than the quests. This effect is stronger in more recent expansions. You will barely notice the overarching expansion story when questing in Outland (The Burning Crusade), but it is shoved in your face and up your nose in Legion and BfA.

There are many, many more quests than are needed to level. If you try to do all stories even in, say, Kalimdor, without ever going to Eastern Kingdoms at all, you will get to 60 with many (maybe half?) unfinished.

My suggestion would be after level 20 to pick some zone, complete it. Find another zone, complete it. I think you will hit 60 after about 3 zones, and then move on to Outland or Northrend, where you can repeat the process. If you stay in the game, you will inevitably make more characters. Think of the zones you didn’t do as left for those characters! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much for answer :slight_smile:
Ok, to be sure - I will not be able to do all available quests for Horde/Alliance, before I get final (120) level?
There will be always some content that I will not be able to finish, unless after 120 level?
Are players often going for such way? They do couple zones, reach max level, start to play late game…and if they want to start again, they just create new character, and f.e.: gain experience and do quest in different zones?
Did I understand correctly? Till 60 lvl even WoW BfA story and quest are ALWAYS the same like in Vanilla, but after this, is started all story from all additions?

I know that there are a lot of question, but the more I play WoW, the more interesting it becomes and I just want to get more knowledge about game :grinning:

Technically, yes. And no.

IF you were to try to do all quests for your faction on one character, which I really suggest you don’t, here’s what would happen:

1. You would get to 60 after completing 3 or 4 zones in Kalimdor amd Eastern Kingdoms. That would leave … er … about 24 zones, intended for up to level 60, to be done.
  2. As you continue with them, you will still gain experience, but much more slowly, though levels 63, maybe 64, and then no more experience (they all “go grey” for you) as you continue through the next 20.
  3. When you finish all that, you start on Outland, at level 64 or so, and you probably hit 70 in the first zone. You will do one or two more zones before you hit 80. You then do the other 5 or so zones, again gradually creeping to 84 or so.
  4. You start Northrend, but you are already too high level for all the zones there, so no more XP.

… and so on. You get the idea.

If you stay, you WILL make more characters. Leave something for them to do! If you really really want to do all the zones now, make at least two more characters and level them together so that you are never stuck in the dreary state of grinding zones that are too easy for you and give you nothing.

Yup. That’s what we do.

Not quite like in Vanilla. Zones up to 60 were reworked in Cataclysm. They are the same zones as in Vanilla, and have most of the same characters, and many of the same themes, but new stories were added and some old ones were removed.

After level 60, all the zones are almost exactly as they were when each of the expansions finished.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer :slight_smile:

So to sum up - after finishing a given zone, simply choose the one that I like and which I want to do, because in the end - I will not do all the zone before driving max lvl?

However, if I want to do those that I did not make with an earlier character - just create a new one and start in other zones 1-60 / 20-60 etc. than before?

For example, I have zone 1-60 lvl. I ended all quests there and i have 22 lvl. Should I go to the zone 20-60 lvl, or maybe 1-60 lvl? Or at least, it does not matter?

Therefore, I have question - I watched a lot of movies from WoW, plugged in as if in the gameplay and probably in the plot (?), So I will not miss most of them, by playing just as an Orc, and doing couple zones?

Yes.

Yes.

Whichever you prefer, as long as your level is high enough to take quests in that zone.

I don’t know. What movies?

1 Like

I mean, a lot of game play from yt.
As an Orc, I will not be able to go from 1 to 120 thorugh all plot, to begin with first and end this last addon?
I have another question - I am looking for an option to show above my character my nickanme and the guild name, do you know how to set this? Because now, I dont have anything above my hero’s head :grinning:

How can I explain this any better? You can, if you really insist, do almost all content on one character. Some content is Alliance-only. Some content is Horde-only. A small amount of low level content is specific to races. A small amount of content is specific to classes.

But trying to do everything on one character is a very bad idea, as I have already explained.

Other people can see your name, just as you can see theirs. Seeing your own name is just a nuisance, but you can play with what is viewed in

Esc->Menu->Interface->Names.

2 Likes

My kind of guy :slight_smile: I always play with my character’s name shown. Do as Gráinne said. I would also say to look through all the settings In Interface options to see if there are other things you like to have on or off.

1 Like

:smiley_cat:

1 Like

Thank you all for answers :slight_smile:
I now realize, that imho the best way to level up your character in early levels (like me), is to do random dungeon with addition bonus.
~ 2 dungeon done and I can level up from 36 to 37…increadible fast…it seems that if you are not interested in doing quest, just go for dungeons
I also checked worldofwargraphs, and there is described that players often choose blood elves for mostly all avaible classes…why is it like that? They are so strong? (8 out of all 12 classes available are played mainly by blood elves)

They are a very popular race. At best the difference is 1% between worst and best racials so just play whatever you like.

1 Like

There are couple of reasons. They had a strong racial but it was changed so it might not be such a big factor now. Another reason would be the aesthetics. Pletny of people just wanna play character that have close to humans look and look sexy because if they are going to stare at someones butt then let it be sexy female.

Laslty might the combination of aesthetics and class choice. Wanna play demon hunter on the horde? Gonna go Blood Elf. Wanna play Paladin, you have blood elf, tauren and zandalari. The choice is limited and Blood elf had this option for the longest time while zandalari are locked behind rep grind.

Of course some races are better at some thing than others but as mentioned the difference is very small and not that important unless you want to be one of the top 100 players in the world.

1 Like

Ok, thank you, now I understand :grinning:

Have you had times, that you started to play one character, reached on him some lvl, and then playing him became boring, so you just wanted to start another character, without setting the maximum level and completing the whole story??
I actually have similar problem…

That’s a well known syndrome called altoholism. No known cure. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have last question - can I develop my character early in the game (intentionally or not) that then he will be weaker at max lvl?
I mean some choices that can’t be undone later.

No.

It is NOT POSSIBLE to make any choice or mistake at low levels that has any unchangeable effect on your character.

All choices are reversible for a character.

The three things that are not changeable are:

Choice of Realm
Choice of Class
Choice of Race/Gender

and even Realm and Race are changeable later, but require you to pay money.