"New" player - some questions

Hello :slight_smile:

Not really new but I only played Vanilla and TBC and Classic and Classic TBC:P
And in the vanilla times I mostly did dungeons and light raiding so I’m not a wow veteran :stuck_out_tongue:

I want to try the official hc servers and the new season of something next year but in the meantime I want to resub and jump into retail and do some casual exploring of old expansions.
See the old dungeons, raids, zones , farm some mounts and transmog etc. I’m not really interested in current expansion things like raids and mythic +. At least for now.

What old content can be explored as a solo player? You can’t do shadowlands raids solo right now right?
Can you do most dungeons from past expansions up to shadowlands as a solo player?

Any class that would have a problem doing this?

Can I just level up to 60 doing the bfa quest line and then get some crafted gear from the AH to solo old stuff?
What item level would I need right now to do this?
How much would a set of crafted gear cost me? I know it will depend on the region but would it be 5-10k gold or 100-500k gold just to get some crafted green of blue items.

The AH is now region based right? Every server in say EU has access to the same AH correct?

Any tips for what professions would be good for this type of play style? Would things like tailoring, leatherworking, smithing give me access to some cool transmogs?

I will run max two characters and yes I know you can buy the boost but I rather buy the token to get some gold and level up the normal way.

cheers o7

P.S. Note big correction on armor prices.

I want to clarify that there are 4 difficulties of raids: LFR, Normal, Heroic, Mythic. LFR starts in the last raid of Cataclysm. Mythic is introduced in the last raid of Mists/

1. At level 70, with pretty early gearing like 380-390 ilevel,

You can solo all content before BfA very easily, so Classic, TBC, Wrath, Cataclysm, Mists, Warlords. Legion is soloable, but the last raid Antorus has one boss Eonar that is very tricky to solo on Mythic because you are running against multiple add entry points, each of which has to be stopped in time, so the difficulty is much more about speed than raw power.

Battle for Azeroth raids have not yet been changed to be soloable. Most of the bosses are soloable, especially on LFR and Normal difficulty, but several bosses are not, especially on Mythic.

Shadowlands raids are not soloable, at least not for normal players.

All dungeons are soloable up to and including Shadowlands.

I’m not sure what the gradient for classes is like. Obviously, classes with tank specs will be most capable overall. Squishies like mages will have more problems.

You could level up to 60 doing the bfa quest line and then get some crafted gear from the AH to solo old stuff, sure, but at 60 you will be nowhere near the power of a level 70. Legion would probably still be soloable, with some difficulty, but I expect BfA would be out of the question.

At level 60, the best crafted gear would be somewhere around ilevel 260.

Gold? Think 100-500 gold per slot, so like 5K-10K for a set. Will vary a lot by server. Big servers obviously better. See for example https://undermine.exchange/#eu-draenor/search/cat=4.4.1

Prices for decent level 60 gear ilevel 230-260 cost like 2K-8K each. So 30K-100K for a set.

Your Token gold will go farther on big servers.

Biggest Alliance server is Silvermoon.
Biggest Horde server is Draenor.

Levelling is nothing these days. The World record levelling time is like 5 hours.

Not correct … exactly. Stackables like mats and potions are region-wide, but non-stackables like armor and bags are confined to the same server.

Crafting professions would allow you to make your own transmogs, sure, but you can also buy those on the AH or from anyone with the profession who has the pattern. There is probably some soulbound craft that has to be made by yourself, but I can’t think of any now.

And if you are crafting, you still need to get mats, so either do your own gathering or, again, buy from the AH. Personally, I’d take gathering professions and sell mats on the AH to pay for the transmogs. Gathering is not what it was at the start of the expansion, but it is a small but steady stream of income,

1 Like

Thank you very much for all the answers. :slight_smile:
I had no idea the level when up to 70 so when I said lv 60 I meant ‘current max level’ :wink:

Sorry big correction on the Gold front.

The listing I found has the levels wrong. The items I was looking at in that link have a required level of 66, not 60 as shown n the mouseover!

I just logged a 60 of mine on Draenor.

AH pieces for ilevel 230-260 cost like 2K-8K each. So 30K-100K for a set.

I jave a 60 ilevel 230 Rogue.

Checked BfA dungeon: forget about it. A tank might wade through Normal eventually, but mobs in dungeon are level 59 and not really practical.

That is cool, the game has so much content I don’t think I need the option to run ALL raids and dungeons up to shadowlands :stuck_out_tongue:
There is enough content to keep a casual explorer like me occupied for some time.

Again than you very much for all the info :relieved:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.