New Player - Want to try retail, is it worth it? (has level boost)

Hi, as the title says I’m completely new to WoW and grabbed a months sub to try out classic which im enjoying, aside from I get lost on where to go quite easily even with addons, but my question is: Is it worth me playing retail wow (no intention to buy BfA) or is classic where it’s at and retails dying out. I also have a level 100 character boost which is what made me consider trying retail out however I don’t have the time to level a char high so unless there is much fun to be had casually levelling would it be pointless or should i pop the level boost on a priest/rogue
I’m on EU and were considering going Alliance on Deathwing server as realmpop says it has a pretty even split between horde/ally
Thanks for any advice

“Completely new” and “have a 100 boost” are not consistent. The only ways to have a 100 boost are to have bought Mists, WoD, or Legion when they were current, or to be a returning player from long ago.

I’m not trying to catch you out, here, but what I am about to say relies on your statement that you are “completely new”. If you maxed in Wrath or something, that doesn’t apply.

OK, so first thing: If you really are completely new, do not, do not, DO NOT boost your first character. We’ve seen many cases here of people boosting their first, and then being lost and confused, and leaving, or starting over from level 1.

Next thing: It is not worth playing Retail unless you buy the current expansion. When a new expansion comes in, everything before it gets nerfed, and, after a couple of months, almost nobody is left playing it.

Retail is definitely not dying out at the introduction of Classic. I’m certainly enjoying Classic, and I wish it every success, but I’ll be surprised if Classic holds 10%-20% of the numbers of Retail. It is generally agreed that BfA has been a bad expansion, but Retail has an opportunity to improve next one.

Having an even faction balance is BAD for a realm. That may sound odd to you if you’re used to playing on pservers or something, but with CRZ and War Mode as modern mechanics, and no PvP realms, it is very true. If you do roll on Retail, choose one of the huge one-faction realms like Silvermoon for Alliance or Draenor for Horde.

5 Likes

i played for <2 months years back around the time of MoP but never reached over level 20 and when i checked my battle.net gifts it said i had a level 100 boost from the launch of legion,

Ah ok. So that does qualify you as “completely new”. :slight_smile:

Well, this is the best advice I can give you.

Please ask again if you want more detail or clarifications!

1 Like

thank you very much, ill take it in consideration, hopefully i can convince a few friends to start playing and then see if we prefer classic/retail as i’ve found classic to be very slow compared to other mmos. thanks for the heads up on picking a realm (: hopefully if i try out retail and enjoy it, ill level a char and if i make it to 100ish by that point i will be enjoying it enough to buy whatever the newest expansion is at the time

2 Likes

Retail is an easier, more streamlined and arguably less engaging game. It’s certainly not going to die because of Classic. As for how fun it is while leveling, well… depends on whether you need a challenge and how much you care about refined spec mechanics. If the answers are ‘‘yes’’ and ‘‘I don’t mind pressing the same 4 buttons over and over’’, then Classic is more likely to appeal. Because you have to go out of your way to get any kind of difficulty in retail but much more thought has been put into making specs distinctive and give them more mechanics. There’s also more reading/lore since quests are more abundant, and way more variety/flexibility when it comes to questing.

Honestly, they both have their pros and cons. Couldn’t hurt to at least try retail. Just don’t do it with a character boost and don’t fall into the trap of thinking that the game starts at level cap.

If you want to do max level content then you play classic as you will be left out in retail without BfA, you will be 110 and everyone doing the main content will be 120.

Classic, in my opinion, is more social especially if you join a guild. Just be careful which realm you choose as the queues can be horrendous. Look at this during the time you want to play before deciding.

The differences between PvP and PvE are more noticeable in classic. PvP can (but not always) mean someone will kill you many times for their own fun and Blizzard will not do anything about it.

You are afraid of leveling slow on retail when you wanna play classic? Leveling to 60 in classic takes equal or even longer amount of time than on retail to 120.

Idk if you would like retail or not.
There are more class and race options. Hundreds and hundreds of more mounts. Better graphics, bigger world. Better class balance. Content continued after the xpac ends, vs classic will stay the same.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.