New players in dungeons ( a veteran perspective)

My bad.
I meant LFD and TW.
Forgot that pugging is Mithic + scenario.

Cheers.

The mechanics or the players?

So the real underlying problem is that your progression is tied to other players.

I ahve not come across someone say “i want to expirience something…”, however i can see why people would kick them. Its harsh but you have to understand that the influx of new players is minimal and the game is overall filled with veterans who have seen these dungeons and would rather not wipe on trivial bosses because someone wants to spend time and figure out the things by themselves instead of just asking whats going on.

LFR is whole different beast. Its a failed experiment where you will have a very unhealthy mix of newbies and veterans. Lets disect teh problem, starting with veterans are somewhat inseentivised into LFR, previously for tier sets and in 8.3 for essenses and corruption currency (im not saying that was optimal but i saw alot of people going the LRF routhe), now these players know what a joke LFR is and cannot be really bothered with other people, also the newbies in LFR are just… I mean cmon you have a big shiny button at the center of your screen and a sanity bar how hard is it to press when the bar is near empty.
Problem No2 with LFR its discustingly easy and incentivises people that dont want to raid to raid. So many people really do care about that quest that wants you to kill 1x Lich King due to completionist reasons, but they really dont care about raiding and would rather just go in there ignore mechanics and hope that the boss dies fast.

I get why some people like LFR, be the wing structure of it or their inability to join a raiding guild due to IRL schedules and what not, however there must be better solution to this issue and Blizzard have failed to come up with one.

Overall the key issue with LFR is that you mix 2 types of people from opposite spectrums and opposite expectations. It really was the same in BGs in BfA where people went in because of BotE not because they wanted to PvP, I was in the same boat as those people i dont like PvP and could care less about it, however even i knew that you had to stand in the pool thing with the balls in the MoP BG. This is really an ongoing problem with WoW that Blizzard are refusing to adress (we are seeing it in SL aswell), people feel forced into content they do not wish to participate in due to good rewards. Sure have an incentive for people to try new things but dont force people that know they dont like a certain content to participate in it constantly due to BiS ring or whatever.

There’s many types of players, but to make it simple:

• There are the ones willing to improve.
  • There are the ones that are not willing to improve.

The first ones, will always try their best in any scenario: LFD, LFR, Mithics, Raiding.

The second category will never learn because they are not willing to.
They will AFK most of the times, complain about others, won’t use their interrupt, because it’s others fault, find their way to get carried to higher content.

I don’t think the developers can design a system around this. Because both spectrums play together.

The game wouldn’t need a kick system if everyone was trustworthy.
Unfortunately that’s not what happens.

Cheers.

The should have a newbie friendly system to teach u the skills or some of the game mechanics :
For example once every 10 lvl’s an npc summons you , the monk has something similar but it’s to simple .

2 Likes

But the post is about new players. New players who are not taught in Exile’s Reach what Interrupts and Dispels are, and yet are thrown into Dungeons where these can make or break a run given their design. Specializations do not even need to start with having an Interrupt in their toolkit before level 20.

Also some of the class quests where they teach you how use your abilites are misleading and lead to wrong rotations. For example the shaman one that tells you to only use your ranged abilities when the enemy is at a distance and to use primal strike when you are its at mele, I saw a lvl 45 elemental shaman doing that same rotation while questing.

1 Like

I was going off topic.

But I already discussed that topic.

Cheers.

1 Like

LFR is whole different beast. Its a failed experiment where you will have a very unhealthy mix of newbies and veterans. Lets disect teh problem

Yes, Let’s start with the negative attitude you are spouting.

I mean cmon you have a big shiny button at the center of your screen and a sanity bar how hard is it to press when the bar is near empty.

Everyone has theyr UI layd out differently by the time they do LFR so no, its not the simply ccase of ‘big button at center ffor most’.

Problem No2 with LFR its discustingly easy and incentivises people that dont want to raid to raid.

You will find the problem is psychology that other players put on those players. I mentioned positive vibes earlier, and it will help alot.

Problem No2 with LFR its discustingly easy and incentivises people that dont want to raid to raid. So many people really do care about that quest that wants you to kill 1x Lich King

Not sure why’s that not relevant wit hthe point I am making as to why its not a problem at all?

If peopel dont want to watch a video doenst mean they are not willing to learn. These people generally do want to learn, they however want to experience the stufff at first, blindly, without watching a video 1 time (I wouldnt even do that, I would have ot watch a video 10+ times) to understand whats going on as to what someone else is doing. Most people are better off experiencing it first hand.

This is also going a little bit off topic but it was mainly ment as an example of comparrison.

This still applies to new people joining the game and doing theyr very first BFA dungean, or what not. XD

Here’s two main issues here:

• The amount of dungeons new players needs to experience and grasp is huge, and increases for each new expansion.
  • There are no way to sign up as a Newbie in LFG

There’s isn’t much to be done about the first but letting the new player decide which dungeons he want to try, either random or specific ones. There are hours of new experience awaiting should the player desire to visit all the dungeons.

And for the latter, new players signing up should be able to sign up Dungeon Finder as Newbie. And people who wouldn’t mind playing with newbies in a chill run should be able to do so - with increased reward when completing the trip.

This will help avoiding newbies getting grouped with impatient players who only is in for speed runs.

What negative attitute ?

Its still a big glowy button,whereever it is.

What vibes ? Its as sillent as a graveyard untill the first wipe happens.

You dont have to watch a video, all you need is to open the dungeon journal, most dont even do that.

And like i said, if you are new say you are new and need help, problem solved.

If they follow the basic rule when new to this game. Kill everything that’s not your party, they’ll be fine in the BfA dungeons and should only run into real trouble when grouped with a “veteran” who goes to skip a group by taking a creative route past it.
That always causes problems even for full no-lifer groups.

Actually I found that being grouped with new people on more difficult contents helps the seasoned character. In fact I am currently spending a good chunk of play time running pug normal dungeons.

Hear me out…
I mostly play as a healer/tank (for dps this might not be the case). Having people not knowing the tactics is making me a better player as I am constantly looking out for things that might go wrong. It is a great way to test your character’s limit and figure out class disadvantages.

At the end of the day, one can also explain to new players the mechanisms of the dungeons or what they can do with their class. I have been playing WOW for a very very long time now and have experienced all classes. I usually just private message someone, with pointers (for example I messaged a rogue that he can use Clock of Shadows to remove specific debuff.

Everyone needs to start from somewhere, and if we want to keep the game going for more years we need to tolerate and help new people

1 Like

yeah mix 10s with 50s in same dungons … All you do is to learn them become lazy

Has five chars at max level. Somehow, he cant find the words to help out newer players.

When everyone had a bit more tolerance towards new or ‘bad’ players then the world would be a better place.

every one can buy level 50 boost now days …

Also, some people just get demotivated, and won’t want do it again, if they do 1 or 2 dungeons and they feel like they are being useless or doing something wrong. Couple that with the fact that Heroic, Mythic and Raids are harder, those players will probably want to avoid that content out of fear of failure, fear of being kicked, etc, etc… It’s not the same for everybody, I know, but there’s people like that, I know some and I’ll admit I was one of those in the past to some extent. I was never demotivated to do instanced content, but I’d wait longer than needed in order to queue (basicly over gear myself, etc).

This is one of the problems no doubt, due to some toxicity in the community ( mean gaming community in general, not just WoW).
People fear that by telling they are new they will either be kicked or be the one guilty when anything goes wrong, even if it’s not their fault.

1 Like

Well, classic dungeons offer no mechanical complexity but I have to agree that BFA dungeons are quite too hard for beginners. I think Wotlk is the best middle ground.

atal’dazar

terror screech fear dinos, gl if fighting both
not interrupted? 5 sec fear which pulls the next pack
then the mid pack
wipe

reset
screech not interrupted again - may even be because of panic
f
noobs in group all bad (except me) /bye t-ards

been there
seen that ;d

2 Likes

You can be the one interrupting, of course. :slight_smile:
And why is it so bad to wipe a couple of times and explain?