New to EU, need help choosing a realm

Hi guys!

I used to play on the US realms for years, before taking a break in BfA, and moving to the UK. None of my US friends play anymore, so I decided to start from scratch on the EU!

When looking up realmpop, Silvermoon came up as the biggest Alliance realm. I’ve been playing there for a bit, and the experience is quite different to what I’m used to on US. I was wondering if this is just because of the particular realm or just how things are in the EU?

• Trade chat seems to be 99% just selling boosts, without any conversations.
  • There have been almost no random guild invites, and even when one pops up, there’s been no friendly whisper like “Hey Owlen, our guild does this and that, we’d love to have you!”
  • Almost no one responds when spoken to in dungeons or the open world.

It all just feels very, very alienating to a new player like me. Are all realms like this or is Silvermoon just too, I don’t know, “high end” raiding and gold making?

Any other English-speaking Alliance realms you could recommend from personal experience? I guess I’m just looking to find friends since I don’t know anyone here (yet :slight_smile:). Not looking for any serious raiding/pvp just yet as I’m starting all over again and have so many things to re-unlock xD

Thank you, have a wonderful day :heart:

Welcome to Europe :smiley:

They’re pretty much all like that, except that Silvermoon has really excessive boost spam. CRZ broke realms. I’m kind of suprised to hear that things are much different Stateside.

Try Argent Dawn. Yes, I know, RP realm. Still, try it. If I could send a note back in time to myself, it would say two things:

1. Start WoW before Cata
  2. Roll Alliance on Argent Dawn.

https://www.argentarchives.org/

You will find European retail servers pretty quiet. People aren’t as chatty as on US ones and a lot less social.

You might want to join a social guild, crack a joke, wipe a raid, this sort of stuff.

You can also try the badboy spam removal addon.

@Owlen: Greetings and welcome to EU region!

The thread above comes highly recommended, if you are looking for new friends.

As for invites… This is not 100% fact, but I suspect that Blizzard’s fairly recent actions that took down CP and CPC, while actually targeting the ability of addon makers to create LFG-tools for Classic, also killed many of invite addons, because according to what I have read in Bringoutyourdead’s notes on fixing CP, several of those actually “stole” parts of CP code (even including HIS working notes within the code). :frowning:

EU region has a bit different “personality” and unlike Gráinne, I do not find that particularly surprising. That may or may not be due to the fact that I recently became an English major student at my home town’s university and I have been exposed to several excellent native English speakers from the US, UK and even Australia among my professors. :slight_smile: As an example of information… US has around 350+ different significant language (group)s… Most EU countries have around 168, some even less. Those numbers are not set in stone and you will find more than the listed number of languages in use (upwards of 500 even in a small country like Finland), but in small countries those extra few hundred languages may literally have only one or two native speakers.

You will also discover (, if you have not done so yet) that EU region does not “love” things as much as many US people do. Sometimes the differences are subtle, but even if one does not recognize the accent, there are sometimes clues… and my phonology professor tells me that in some cases those clues can be quite strong. According to him, I sound very much like what I am, an older (most of my peers are literally 20 to 25 years younger than I am), male Finn. Some of those clues even sneak into written language, like the above mentioned use of “love”. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.