New to RP: Need some advice (Nightborne)

Ever since I was little I’ve always been writing little stories and coming up with characters and such, so today I finally decided to take the plunge and try out RP (on Argent Dawn). It’s fun, but I’m worried about being one of those people that just write stuff like “my character is a literal titan and can therefore kill you in one hit and parry everything you do and steal your everything”. You see, when I write for myself I never had to incorporate other people. For example, while it is said that the Nightborne are an extremely long lived race it feels weird to say I’m thousands of years old (currently settled at 3625 years old).

Basically, I need an intro guide.

2 Likes

Long lived and immortal species tend to view time and age differently
Different vallues and such
But not necessarily
If you are familiar with Dr. Who, take the Doctor for example; tho’ he lived lifetimes, experienced loss and joy, still capable of caring and in his character, his age is not really important. Christopher Eccleston who played the 9th Doctor once mused: “He has two hearts . Does that mean he cares twice as much?” and its perfectly describes the character that lived minimum a thousand years (but probably more)
Peter Capaldi’s 12th Doctor asked several times “Am I a good man?” and in the end he relised the answer: “I am not a good man! And I’m not a bad man. I am not a hero, and I’m definitely not a president — and, no, I’m not an officer! You know what I am? I… Am… an idiot! With a box and a screwdriver, passing through, helping out, learning.” wich describes exactly a long lived character
Not yout age what matter, but the personality, your values etc. Age is just a number. Sure, there are ups and down, but be 100… 1000… or 10000 year old, those years are passed - sure shaped you, but those are the past - what you play is the present. It’s not really a question, you are 3625 years old, but how that 3625 years of expereince shaped you to the person you are.
So you have your Nightborne, what you need to “know”, how he became the Nightborn he is today, whats happened, important events, persons in his life etc.; not a long several book long history, just guidlines for yourself, to know ‘who you are’?
If you are uncomfortable about longer lifespan, make a bit younger; Suramar was full off little Nightborne children so you could be young too!
If you choose to stay lets say 3625, that means you never saw anything just the shimmering Dome above you, just read about the sky, the stars or learned about them from the astromancers illusions , never saw Elune on the sky or felt the warmth of the Sun on your skin. When the shiled colapsed, these things exploded to your reality! Similary, the food you ate was mostly conjured magical food and tho’ it felt real, you maybe instinctively knew or felt, something was off, something was not right, not real, tho’ never knew how should it taste, maybe just read about it, or had the rare and wonderful opportunity to attend a party where the elite served real food, a real apple for example and experiencing its texture, taste, smell at the first time you were owerwhelmed…
These are the little things I think what are important when palying/making a member of a long lived race; little things, important things, personal things that are “anchors” and makes it “alive”, “real”. Grounded to reality and prevent you to make demigods and titans
The little things and flaws
The personality
Sure its my two copper, but I hope helped a bit

Just wanted to add, a Nightborne can be 10.000+ years and remember the life before the sundering, so a few thousands? No problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.