New to Wow, Need some adivce/confidence for m+

Hi all, so I’m a new player, only been playing about a month ish and my main character is 372 ilvl, I’ve read a lot on the forums about m+ and the general toxicity in the community but the only real way for me to get more gear is to either raid or do M+.

I’m worried I will let my group down or get yelled at by people because I had a Traumatic brain injury in a car crash a few years ago, so I process information a lot slower than most people which makes me make mistakes, even in open world content. I want to push higher content but with this limitation I am just anxious if that makes sense. What can I do to help ensure our group has an easier time in dungeons?

I’ve spent the past few days researching dungeons, when I can use my soothe and interrupts, etc. But from what I have read it’s very much a “Someone makes one mess up and the whole key is bricked and it’s all your fault” type of community. Any advice is appreciated.

4 Likes

find a good guild with chill people or join the chill mythic group don’t do pugs

1 Like

Fair, My guild is mostly rp but, I know a few of them actively run M+, maybe I’ll ask them if they wanted to join and help teach me.

at start level there isn’t much if any of that…high mid level is where it gets feisty and slowly into the one mistake key rekt territory.
I hear it gets better at high level where they dont even talk, they just disband in silence, all salty. lmaoooo jk jk xD

you might even get a carry by overgeared ppl because you’ll have a low key and they’ll want valor out of it.

Fair enough I suppose, I just don’t like to let my team down. I was going to play a healer but all the threads I read pushed me off that track. Is there anything hunter specific I can do to help my team out more? Like, special pets or something? I know I heard something about spirit beasts but I didn’t understand what they did exactly differently.

I’ve literally played for a month, You can look in the armory, this is my main character at 372 like I said. So to answer your question, No. I see a lot of mixed information about hunter pets, like how they used to have special abilities, but they got rid of that, but I’ve also heard something about spirit beasts having a heal or something.

If you’re not going to help and just going to be a jerk, then don’t reply.

2 Likes

i started that reply with something along the lines of:

you would do best for your grp if you learned what your class does

(some pets give 30% haste for 30 sec)

Interesting, I thought they got rid of all that, Alright I’ll look into it. I need to figure out where to find them though x-x Thank god for petopia

I think that the level of toxicity is often exaggerated. Most groups will want to get through the dungeon so they can get on with their evening. Anecdotally, I found that the actual toxicity starts when people are anxious to get to Keystone Master ratings (key 12-16 ranges). Really low keys are more often than not pretty chill runs as there is very little to gain outside of valor.

What helped me with my dungeon ancxiety was to group with a friend. Just one person you trust already makes a world of difference IMO.

Edit:
The pets that give the bonus are “Ferocity” type of pets. Cats usually are Ferocity, as are wolves or raptors. I see you are a Gnome, mechanical pets are all “Cunning” type, you’d have to go get a meat-pet for this ability in case you’re playing around a mecha-theme :smiley:
The spell is equivalent to a Shaman buff called “Bloodlust” (commonly referred to as BL or “lust”) and will trigger a 10 minute fatigue debuff. As long as fatigue is up you cannot benefit from that buff another time. So best practice is to just ask the group to tell you when they want BL. Putting the spell on cooldown/giving everyone fatigue on the first pull (unless the tank pulls big and requests it) will upset people, as usually people will want it for bosses or on very tough (or big) trash pulls.

I see! Alright so I need to look out for that then, Okay, I will do some research ^^

Not sure if mentioned yet but there are a few m+ communities you can join, you’ll find the thread here too with a name or two. They’re friendly, do chill runs and willing to help. Good luck.

in the many many many dungeons I have run, I did not encounter a lot of toxicity actually. It greatly depending on your attitude as well. Once someone says something or blame someone then the toxicity starts and within the next minute someone will leave the key.

Well while nobody is perfect, you should also know your limit. The amount of time people do not know ANYTHING about the dungeon on keys above 10 is actually crazy and frustrating. Those people often still get carried and then even move to the next higher key to annoy people.

So as a tip:
Move up your score slowly by playing all dungeons on +2-7, learn the mechanics, read some guides if you are not aware of some things. Overall there are a lot of mechanics over the 8 dungeons and you just have to practice them several time.
Some mechanics are not so obvious as others, especially if you haven’t played older expansions.
E.g. in AV first boss the whole party needs to clear the trees to with their circle explosion or group will just wipe. Often these wipes won’t happen on a +2 but once you move higher all these mechanics become one shots.

I wouldn’t suggest running M0 because many mechanics won’t occur. Even M2 is currently kinda waste of time to learn mechanics because people are massively overgeared and just join +2 to speed run. Meaning most bosses and packs flop over in 2 seconds leaving out 90% of important mechanics

Welcome to the game mate!

You shouldnt need to worry too much. Mythic 0s and +2 keys are a good place for you to learn mechanics and stuff without stress.

You will find some toxic people but you will also find some very nice, friendly and helpful people as well. Try to befriend them and maybe find a guild that you can play with who understand your sitution.

Lastly who gives a crap what toxic idiots think, when you find them put them on ignore and let them continue with their sad lite lifes.

2 Likes

As a Bm hunter main since the last two expansions I would reccomend using ferocity pets for M+ and solo PVE a like. The leach you get gives you high survivability and “Primal Rage” gives a nice group buff in M+. Dont play much PvP but I think Cunning would be a better pick for that.

Spirit beasts are exotic pets and thus can only be used by beastmaster hunters. I don’t think it’s enough of a reason to change specs, you should play what you enjoy.

As for what pet to go for I suggest either ferocity or tenacity. With a ferocity pet you have leech which makes you more self reliant, but if you trust the healer to keep you alive you can play a tenacity pet for more health and an extra defensive (fortitude of the bear).

Then there is the bloodlust argument. The bloodlust classes are shaman (bloodlust/heroism), mage (time warp), hunter (primal rage) and evoker (fury of the aspects). Any of these effects gives a debuff preventing players from benefitting from similar effects in the next 10 minutes. If you don’t have a mage, shaman or evoker in your group you will probably be expected to bring a ferocity pet to use primal rage.

hellow fellow hunter

we usually use pet with bloodlust
but if someone ellse have BL we use spirit pet (heal and defensive option)

you might want to check petopia to check out
trueshot lodge discord is coool place for hunters to learn and ask

it may be hard to belive someone played 1 month in 20 year old game :smiley:
but i belive you

/e check my character profile
get this spirit moose from legion zone highmountain its ez to get

and the bloodlust pet u can get from taming guarm in trial of valor raid

these 2 pets are close to eachother in same legion expansion zone

I absolutely 2nd getting into the right guild. Playing with the right people can make the difference between having a great experience or simply quitting the game.

Reading further down the thread, learn your class and spec! The game itself is pretty terrible at teaching you anything so you got to look elsewhere. Wowhead and icy veins are a great place to start. From there you can then join the class discord (found in the aforementioned websites). Slowly you’ll get the hang of your rotation and how your class utility can help with certain mechanics.

Finally, sorry to hear about that accident, sounds like it was tough. Keep plowing through all this toxicity, you will find the right people to play with. To give you an idea of what great communities I’ve come across so far through the years : deaf/hard of hearing raiding guilds, autistic and other neurodiverse people guilds, lgbtq focused guilds… You name it, they’ll exist. There’s an official guild recruitment forum which you can have a look into, otherwise Wowhead has a section too. There’s a website called guilds of wow as well though I think this one is more relevant to raiders, higher pvp and m+.

All the best buddy.

leech doesnt work well on BM your pets dont transfer leach to you and you not use damaging skills by yourself its garbage

and if u will want to do higher key (+18) u will get rekt without spirit beast defensive cooldown we DO NOT have a great defensives. every bit helps

Sorry to hear about your accident.

If the above is the case then I wouldn’t recommend M+ unless you can find a regular group of friends who don’t care about you making mistakes and slowing the group down.

You’ll probably get away with pugging 2-10’keys where nobody really cares about tactics anyway. So mistakes wouldn’t matter so much.

Just like in real life, you have needed to get used to your new limitations.

M+ at high levels is fundamentally incompatible with slow reaction time. In fact, all high-end WoW content is.

The only way out of this is to simply stop playing it. RP, play low-end content, level, or play Era! Era is much slower in PvE, so that could be the ticket.

Or persevere. Perhaps the damage is temporary. Perhaps learning in low keys can retrain you - I have no idea. I’m very sorry to hear it, and I’m also sorry about WoW’s incredibly fast pacing and high difficulty these days, to the point where it’s a signiicant topic of discussion and frustration even for perfectly healthy people. It has been transformed into a game that just isn’t for you, though it used to be.

I should also point out that a very large amount of games are designed explicitly around slow reaction speeds - even RTS which can be notoriously fast. I think I might recommend you Homeworld - or all the D&D RPG’s.