Night Elf Dark Rangers

Let’s talk about the fact that the only reason Arthas hasn’t been brought back from the dead is because it would be incredibly hard for Blizzard to spin him into a pro-Horde character.

You know?

Blizzard literally had to share every Alliance leader, let Horde win nearly every in-game war and write a completely Horde biased, one-sided story for over 15 years to make Horde seem important.

And then when they committed literal genocide…they tried to brush it under-the-rug until the backlash got so great (Horde is an evil faction. period) they had to scapegoat everything onto Sylvanas, when in reality, the entire Horde faction participated in the genocide.

This entire game and story is bad because of all the pro-Horde nonsense, story and game-altering-wise, that just won’t stop.

Let’s not talk about how parts of the story don’t make sense.

If it made sense, we’d be raiding every Horde city right about now.

And now, they want to remove factions mainly to wash away the fact that the Horde is evil.

This company does not know how to tell a proper story.

It’s actually amazing.

1 Like

I can’t keep repeating what I’ve said. I stand by it. If you can’t see that it’s the same thing then there is nothing more to be said.

I’m not really interested in this crusade.

No no, its not the same thing… You are literally comparing melanin to war criminals… Like you have been given the lore above, so I am finding it hard to understand why you keep harping on about something that 1) has already been explained and 2) isn’t a good comparison anyway.

1 Like

I don’t believe it’s a suitable comparison either, but rather misdirecting. Alas, to each his own. At the end of the day people reading this will believe what they want.

3 Likes

Cant make this more simple bring lore and whatever you wish to justify alliance Dark Ranger but If you pretend be Dark Ranger at alliance side it is just plain wrong. For all alliance hunters with red eyes i say ok you are now like nathanos simple as that. Loyal to sylvanas till death.

And If you still wanna Be night elf, worgen, human Dark Ranger go for it but sametime you are totally fine that teldrassil got burned down. Just Minor thing ofc just little bonfire and im sure tyranda and other night elfs welcome you with open arms

i will link the thread. Personally im not the type of person to judge, I saw someone claiming to be a Orc roleplayer in Stormwind and i waved back. to me i dont really care about that stuff just want people to feel comfy roleplaying what they like.

Dark Rangers in Stormwind City - RP - Argent Dawn - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

Hardly anyone really does this, kind of reads like a blind assumption.

The quality of RP hinges on adherence to lore and when people actively stop doing it it’s very easy for a group of 6-8 players in a single guild to completely ruin the atmosphere on a RP hub like valley of honor in Orgrimmar.
There used to be an average of 5-6 guilds there actively roleplaying, they have all left because nearly all members were tired of that one group continuously breaking lore.

People going against lore actively scares off most RPers from a hub, turning it into a desolate place, This then snowballs into new players not being able to find where all the RP is, it’s not in the hubs where they usually expect it, they can’t find anyone and then give up.

As you can probably imagine this is a vicious cycle, a lot of RP realms have died from a combination of people just outright not RPing out the lore or going actively against it as well as an influx of people who either had 0 intention of ever RPing and instead griefed it or never had the intention to even look at the lore and just treat it as secondlife.

The lore are kind of like traffic rules in RP, if everyone keeps to it, you should theoretically never see an ‘accident’. People actively not keeping to lore is very capable of killing an RP server. If everyone starts making up their own rules, there’s carnage and bloodshed and tragedy.

This is by the way true for any roleplay community in any IP
It’s also not like witch hunts are being held or people will just /spit on dark rangers in SW, it will mean that their characters, some of whom they RP as having families that were victimized by Sylvanas or the Forsaken (think lordaeron survivors/gilneans) that simply will not take kindly to Dark Rangers in character
This doesn’t mean that there is some hatred to the other player on an OOC level, it’s just people trying to RP their own characters to their trueest nature, which is what RP is kind of about.

When the response to potential conflict however is claiming you have a personal permit from Anduin himself (which is really really bad conduct in any RP communty in any IP to RP major lore characters, which claiming you have a permit handed to you personally by them falls under) which states that they’re allowed to just go through the stormwind graveyard and have their pick of corpses to raise… (very specific example) that’s when most people get that sensation of stubbing their toe on something really really annoying which often just makes them want to leave the hub where it’s happening (as has happened to Orgrimmar)

The arguement is then that if DR’s start pulling this permit RP then basically most who don’t do permit RP hates with a passion will just ignore them entirely.
It’s not that if you play a dark ranger you will get spat upon. If you really take it apart the arguement is ‘if you don’t stick to the lore people are less likely to interact with you’, which honestly has always been a thing. Mostly because someone who RP’s by the lore is not compatable with someone who does not RP by the lore and vice versa. It’s not out of spite either, it’s just that RPing two characters operating from entirely different loresets is really cbt for both parties

Big text but I hope this explains why this conversation isn’t as black and white as people try to make it out to be. It’s really not ‘oh I am aliance dark ranger woe is me’
Many RPers however would love to interact with a Dark Ranger who actually accepts the facts that there can be consequences to RPing that (just like how there would be consequences to RPing a blood troll) rather then actually just being a socialite in dark ranger skin whose better connected then your average maffia boss.

It was bad enough to have the story told exclusively in books but not in games, if the lore would truely work this way this would be an extra step down from there. It just feels like kind of a cheap, not well thought through ‘Ha, gotcha’ take.
Some random NPC that isn’t Tyrande saing that it’s up to Tyrande doesn’t equal Tyrande accepting the dark rangers back into the fold.

If you ask me why alliance got the dark ranger appearances, the answer is really simple:

• If Alliance wouldn’t have gotten the Dark Ranger appearance, they would’ve had a lot less this patch (remembered dark iron) where Horde got 2 new customizations for races which a lot of the current alliance playerbase racechanged away from.

Look inside yourself you know it to be true.

2 Likes

But as I always say though, this is all entirely dependent on how much they want to story they want to give to the Alliance Dark Rangers.

The fact is, we’ve got no names of significant dark rangers who have left to re/join Tyrande. We’ve only got 1 who is in Alliance custody and she is a Dark Warden.

I honestly don’t think Darkfallen lore is going to be big on the Alliance, if it becomes anything. It will be like Shen’dralar Highborne - might be there, but not relevant.

Tyrande welcomed them back into the kaldorei society. So yes it is possible.

Did she now ? Where ? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh did she?! Can you show me where because I think I got the wrong questline, think her speech actor was bugged for me, as was the quest text… Look!

.imgur.com/a/s3JCYDu

See it says “If she will take them back”!

I’m sure that while being busy somewhere in Ardenweald she somehow found the time for a fast travel to Azeroth just to say yes and then go back to the Shadowlands. Amazing woman, I’m telling you.

1 Like

Tyrande works hard these days, but I tell ya, that cutscene and quest where she totally accepts the dark rangers, gives them a hug and tells them they are now free to become bartenders and cuddle with Humans in SW was epic, best cutscene ever.

1 Like

As we are seeing partly with the story of Calia Menethil unfolding and her journey to find acceptance and integration into the Forsaken.

To me, there seems to be a lack of clarity around night elf dark rangers.

They certainly get raised without prior choice, whether their choice regarding continuation of undeath is meaningful, or just Nathanos taking liberties to turn them into war tools (as maybe Lor’themar has put his foot down with using dead blood elves ?) idk :woman_shrugging:

I don’t see how someone can make a meaningful choice in such a short time and circumstance. With domination magic likely being part of the mix, there is more chance of the undead night elves being victims of circumstance. :woozy_face:

What is interesting is that this situation increases the variation in motives and perspectives away from simple Horde v Alliance faction thinking.

An nelf dark ranger may return to the Alliance, but be less inclined to want to kill undead indiscriminately, as there is a connection.

Similar to an undead human feeling hurt from their families rejection and fear, but despite this unwilling to kill their own wife and children.

Yeah it’s a bit of a mess lorewise, at this point I hope they pick it up further in a dragonflight (or sooner) questline so that the status quo is a bit more clear.

That said with the absence of any coherent answer and an actual single example of a dark ranger being accepted back into the fold (at the very least this would warrant a questline imo with a dark ranger actually being taken back in if this is the route they’ll take) I would simply go with, they are currently all Forsaken by proxy (not kill on sight by the Horde) and there are likely a few who have a desire to go back to the alliance and will be given the chance to by the Horde (will not be persecuted as traitors for trying) but are unsure wether or not the alliance would actually take them back.

The question wether they will be accepted or not is still open, it could become a yes, it could become a no, but for now at the very least it isn’t a yes yet

I’d also be curious about the overlap, there’s a bunch of new nonlordaeron forsaken or new faces like Calia who wasn’t raised in the conventional way through death and nearly all of them say something along the lines of: we belong here with other undead in our undeath which yeah does heavily imply some form of kinship born from the state of undeath. So yes it would be very possible that these future alliance dark rangers (if it becomes a thing) would indeed still retain that kinship

Edit:
This would mostly count for night elf dark rangers yeah but thats what the topic was about.
Velf dark rangers don’t really exist IIRC but I might be wrong, they probably just got the appearance because high elf dark rangers do exist and void elves are basically the carrier race for the high elf appearances.

1 Like

I remember Tyrande saying something along the lines of them being able to stay with the elves but not sure if it was a quest of cinematic. I will have to look that up when i have some more time.

This doesn’t work. .imgur.com/a/s3JCYDu

While that is true Velonara explained that some Kaldorei dark Rangers decided to stay in Undercity, while some who want to return back to the alliance are free to do so. Which means there are some who do want to go back, it’s right there explained in black and white. The only thing we aren’t shown is who accepted them into the alliance but knowing Blizzard they probably forgot.

Not relevant? They fought during the Battle of Darkshore and teleported a few survivors outside Teldrassil.

It’s not like they were ignored since Cataclysm, to which I might have agreed. They are as Relevant as the Shatterspear tribe of trolls, so not BIG in lore like the night elves are, but still there from time to time when it’s relevant for them to shine.

Also they are personally my favorite group of Night elves, if you can’t tell from my Night elf mage.

2 Likes

The issue is currently that there is no real lore on Tyrande having taken them back
at best we know that as stated in your imgur link Desolate Council member Velonara gives them her blessing if they wish to try, which I personally interpret as; they will not be treated for traitors if they choose to walk this path, but the actual confirmation that Tyrande accepted them is not present within the game

Delaryn who you linked actively stayed with the horde IIRC, running the no place amont the living arguement most of the newsaken seem to do.

AFAIK however there is no content ingame where Tyrande has made a statement, it’s currently an open storyline
I just hope it’s not an open ending

On a general note, ofcourse unless you do RP the context of this arguement doesn’t (and shouldn’t) mean anything to you.

It is an assumption to assume they have already been accepted, at best we know there will be dark rangers who will try in the future and they will have the blessing of the dark ranger on the desolate council which I believe means they will not be branded a traitor for doing so (but even this is really an assumption on my end). That’s the only real tangible lore we have atm.
As I said earlier, maybe they’re saving some of the resolution for a dragonflight storyline

2 Likes

Maybe. But I doubt they would add Night elven Dark ranger customizations without the plan or intention to introduce some to the Alliance, especially after what Velonara said.

The void elf dark Rangers on the other hand were probably added simply for the sake of it. As Velonara haven’t even mentioned them. That I might agree with

I would say they added the dark ranger customization in now because well… the quest for it was introduced now.

Mind you I’m not stating my beliefs or even my wants or hopes, I’m just stating what we have hard confirmed in the game right now either through NPC dialogue or quest text, the only assumption I’m willing to make here is that because Velanora says ‘they’re free to do so’ they will not be prosecuted as traitors but even that is fantasy on my end because that’s not hard confirmed anywhere according to my own standard (claimed in quest text or npc dialogue)

I do believe that the endgame is however acceptance because as you say why would they make Night Elf darkfallen skins on alliance if they were canonically in every way Horde? My arguement is simply that there is no quest text nor npc dialogue indicating that the acceptance has happened yet and as someone who feels like they should stop putting main plotline lore in books (sidestories are fine) but put them in the game instead; I really hope their new way of telling the lore isn’t just adding new customizations and letting us just freely interpret whatever it could or couldn’t mean
That would be very detrimental to roleplay as a whole

In the end it’s up to you what you do RP wise but if you’re gonna set up a whole bunch of things for it that acceptance is already there only for blizzard to turn it into a multi expac plot point where we won’t see resolution until 10.3.5 or something then yeah you’d basically have shot yourself in the foot

Hazzikostas has also said in regards to all classes for all races (I cry) is that not everything makes sense yet but they are looking for ways to do so
It is very much possible in my mind (but again this is assumption tier could be fullblown fantasy) that Dark Ranger is also one of the things they’re gonna try and give statisfying lore for.

3 Likes