Night Warriors and what they are not

Man I loved A Good War’s depiction of Malfurion. Dude was scary.

4 Likes

Mmm. I don’t think so.

She was already walking away. “This is your victory. None of this—not this battle, not Malfurion’s defeat—would have happened without you. You have earned this honor. Take a moment, if you’d like, and then take his head. I will meet you in Darkshore.”

And with that, she disappeared over a rise to the north.

Saurfang felt numb. You have earned this honor.

He looked down on Malfurion again. “I truly am sorry.”

Malfurion turned his head. One eye looked up at Saurfang. He rasped, “You have led your Horde in the service of death. You will regret this day until you die.”

“You fought well, Malfurion,” Saurfang said. “Rest in honor. You deserve it.”

He lifted his axe. And hesitated. Seconds passed, then whole minutes, and Saurfang could not bring it down.

He felt light and warmth shine upon him from above. It held sorrow, hope, and love. Perhaps this was Elune welcoming Malfurion to the next life. Perhaps that made this acceptable.

But this kill is not mine.

Perhaps it would be honorable to let Stormrage live.

In Sylvanas’s care? It is more merciful to end him now.

Still his axe did not move.

And then, very suddenly, he could not move at all.

Bright light enveloped Saurfang, paralyzing him, making it impossible to twitch a muscle. A mighty blow slammed into his head, throwing him five paces away. He hit the ground hard. The wind left his lungs in a single rush as he tumbled to a painful stop. When he looked up, he saw the light of Elune, in all its fury and beauty.

Tyrande Whisperwind .

In A Good War he’s stood for minutes with Malfurion, not moving, unable to bring his axe down, until finally Tyrande paralyzes him.

2 Likes

While Lorash was amusing while he antagonised Malfurion, he was a Shadowsteel the Hedgeheg tier character. He’s probably my most disliked thing about the entire thing.

2 Likes

I see. I misremembered that part. That said, Malfurion was bleeding to death. So Saurfang would still have done that.

I liked how it showed, for all his power, Malfurion is as mortal as anyone else when caught unawares. It’s like when Sylvanas got filled with lead in Cataclysm by Godfrey.

1 Like

:pray: :triumph: :prayer_beads:

4 Likes

Genn, Jaina and Nathanos seem to have no problem with that, tho…

And they get flak for it.

Dumb cape :poop:

1 Like

At least Jaina is super mage. What’s Genn travelling by, the power of being old?

Yeah, that’s because of human potential

2 Likes

They’re followers of the wrong Prophet…

HAIDENE GANG!

2 Likes

'ate Tyrande
'ate Black Moon
'ate 'eretics
'ate Forests

Luv’ Haidene
Luv’ Elune
Luv’ Suramar

Simple As

5 Likes

H A I D E N E G A N G!!

The audacity to be a Dark Eyes

1 Like

I always thought the only real reason for a “Night Warrior” Nelf to be in Stormwind was to be radicalising the refugee population not chilling in the Blue Recluse or w/e.

Is the whole transformation something you can reverse so to speak or have Blizzard not clarified?

1 Like

Sadly, it was never specified, but I’ve seen people RP losing their blessing / not receiving it in the first place when they simply don’t feel these strong feelings of retribution and vengeance. That’s a fair reason to not have it / lose it, in my opinion. I don’t see a night elf, who doesn’t embody any of the traits of the Night Warrior, having that blessing.

One example of a kaldorei that kept normal eyes was the NPC from the leatherworking quest. She kind of fit the bill I described above and was called by other night elves:

T’lara = warrior armed only with words

In the end, it is head canon / speculation, however.

1 Like

More than anything in the story, I despise him because of his age.

Previously we had some semblance of understanding how elf lifespans work. Somewhere above 3000 years was understood to be the h/belf lifespan, probably a bit more but nothing extreme, suggested by Anasterian ruling for just shy of that, Anasterian being an old cranker and the number of kings Quel’thalas has had in its history before him. It never was anything solid but it was something we could use as a base.

In comes Lorash, who is like 7k years old at the very least and is healthy as a pie.

It threw a few of my character ages completely out the window. One of the reasons I don’t really play Ashiraya anymore is that I frankly have no idea of how old she is with this in mind and it creates huge headaches. With how physically old she is, she should be older than Lorash… And yet, she definitely was never a night elf! Or was she? Urghhhhh

4 Likes

His mother only died in the Scourge Invasion btw

…So are blood elves immortal or something? What about the super santa elves from the comic, were they already old night elves by the time of the exodus?

How has QT had so many kings in just a few thousand years if they live as long as night elves?

It’s a mess.

I think it’s more to do with when they were born.

The more generations came, the lesser the age range became and the more dependent on magic they gained. But this is all headcanon.

Especially when you look at Nightborne who were far far more dependent on a source of magic than the Highborne/High Elves, and they all are over 10,000 years old.

I don’t think it’s hard to believe that High Elves (and Highborne) can live for so long.

The problem is that they tried to establish a age range but sort of threw it out the window.

1 Like

To be fair just having a big beard doesn’t mean you’re old by the standards of your race. It just means spending a lot of time growing it.

There’s a similar problem with Dwarves, because Chronicles placed the War of the Three Hammers at about 300~ years ago, but Dwarves are supposed to live for 200-300 years, so was Thaurissan the son or grandson of the original? How close are Magni, Muradin and Brann to the “ancient” Bronzebeard kings?

Of course it gets even worse when you look at the “are actually immortal or at least live for 30.000 years or so” Draenei and how one ship’s worth populated Draenor with millions in the span of what is to them less than a year in human terms…

1 Like