No Surge of Insanity nerf, I beg you Blizzard!

EDIT:
After playing the 10.2 patch on PTR (mostly duels and dummy testing) my fear is confirmed. It feels really stressful and unfluid to play.

Constantly having to hard cast SW:D above anything else in order to keep that Mind Bender and insanity build-up going so you are able to cast DP twice just to get 1 good Mind Flay off.

I never really had any problems with the so called “button bloat” because everything has it’s rightful moment to cast in current patch, and there is really no problem with the damage rotation at all. In 10.2 I actually DO stress about the button bloat because you have to focus on that SW:D just ALL THE TIME.

Shadow Priest thrives on using it’s utility right, but now it actually feels bad to use your utility because you need to build so much insanity to get a big Mindflay and you constantly need to spam that SW:D to keep your Mind Bender going. Ontop of that you also have to constantly think about using or saving those SW:P stacks, which just adds up to the stressy rotation for me.

Another thing that feels really bad is the fact that the extra triggers of SW:D have a lot of delay, which really does not fit in the ultra fast gameplay of today.

SOLUTION?
Don’t change Surge of Insanity but make the set bonus just one extra SW:D trigger.

ORIGINAL:
I just read this on the 10.2 patch notes:

** Surge of Insanity now triggers from every 3 casts of Devouring Plague instead of every cast of Devouring Plague.*

• Developers’ note: The rotation has a lot going on and much of that is due to the frequency that Mind Flay: Insanity and Mind Spike: Insanity are available, so we’re adjusting the frequency of the effect.*

I BEG YOU BLIZZARD, DON’T DO THIS. Priests are so broken and tired of your constant changes to key elements. The spec is in a good place now. If you play with the right comp it’s good, if not you get deleted, just like about any other spec.

After the removal of Damnation this is literally the only thing that allows us to do some burst damage against melee and burst classes (which is almost all of them), and also about the only fun thing to cast besides Void Torrent.

Most duels and arena matches go so incredibly fast that if we need to build up insanity for 3 DP’s before we can do some damage, should it get interrupted (which it will) we have nothing left and the fight is over.

The only way I could MAYBE see this work is if they make the affected spells uninterruptable or we go back to more instant casts. But that’s a BIG MAYBE. The spec also feels clunky and cast heavy already. It’s so frustrating that you can’t even get your dots or void eruption up against melee matchups, sometimes the entire fight.

I can totally live with the mass dispel changes although some other defensive buffs will be needed here if we have to suffer the nerf + a the loss of a PvP talent slot to have decent MD’s.

4 Likes

Well looking at these set-bonuses makes me wanna go bananas… just at first.

Shadow

(2) Set Bonus: Shadow Word: Death triggers 2 additional times at 50% effectiveness. Triggers again 1 additional time at 50% effectiveness if Deathspeaker is active or your target is below 20% health.

(4) Set Bonus: Each time you take damage from Shadow Word: Death, gain a stack of Death’s Torment, increasing the initial damage of your next cast of Shadow Word: Pain by 250% or the damage of your next Shadow Crash by 50%, stacking up to 12 times.

Well Blizzard does not know anything how to FIX shadow and does not care about the forum where we are posting. This will be an thread where they dont even read it.

The whole Shadow “rework” is a downfall for shadow… We are going back to be healingbots again…

My suggestion to change shadow would be:
PI: Castle on the priest itself, 20% haste, 20sec duration. 2min CD.

Shadow crash: puts VT+SWP on all targets but does like 60% less dmg. (this is so we can actually do AOE as other classes in big groups).

make VT+SWP instant cast or remove either of them and make the other double the dmg instead.

SW: Death: Always do 250% dmg, increase the CD. no backlash dmg.

Make our mind-bender a pet as pets for hunters. But maybe do less dmg than now.

Mass dispell 1min CD and no damn talents to change the mana-cost, cast time etc.

Rebuild the Devouring plaque to be a 24sec debuff, lower initial dmg. no overlap dmg buildup.

Make a talent for VT+SWP+DP to be instant cast togeather on targets.

I rather see a less frequent buttonsmash class, but focus more on just having our dots up and improve the Mind Flay/spike dmg rotation. with like some other stuff.
Just to make us more linear like other classes… But as it is now, we are bursting our way up to dmg meters…

Our DPS is pretty much: -^--^-___

1 Like

:question: why? We dont need to be nerfed even more? Why would you suggest that?

Again…why? Do you know what an absolute aids it is to get the cast of in pvp even with current improved md? You do need the cast time trimed…and no …we dont need that as pvp talent…we have way too many options to pick from…we dont need another bandaid fix for an absolute moronic change they made because of 1 season of m+.

PvP I really dont care about personally as I never ever do PvP. But for that, designers can put PvP talents / change how the spell works when in arenas etc. Its not that hard.
As for now, its only tuned to be even worse in PvE and PvP.

The new Tier set for example is just an example on how BAD design is when it comes to priests. 3x SWD instantly. You push over 200k DPS on singel target without Hero/PI sub 20% of targets health. Before that, with this new set about 120k DPS (with low lvl gear on Beta. For me it goes to 450ilvl.). But in Mythic+, you rely on Shadow crush to hit all targets, else you are screwed DPS wise. And with running tanks, you cant do anything.

Best would to redesign the whole Class-talent tree. I think the gameplay is fine overall and fun with keybashing. But it makes too little for too much.

I would be more like:

• Mind flay removed.

• Mind spike: Insanity removed.

• Increase Mind Spike dmg by 30% to compensate for the Insanity loss. But increase cast time by 0.2s.

• Mind spike dazes the target by 40% for 1.5sec, renews with every cast. (this to compensate for the mind flay slow)

• Mind spike now decrease the cooldown of Mind blast by 1sec per cast.

• Mind blast damage increased by 30%.

• Devouring plaque is now a 24sec debuff. (lower the tick dmg to be on pair with DP as it is now). Same initial dmg. DMG does not stack just renews the DP with increased initial dmg when already affected by DP.

• Shadow Crash as been removed.

• NEW: Shadow Nova, 11000dmg on all targets, decrease after 5 targets. Also applies Shadow word pain and Vampyric touch to all targets. 15sec CD.
    (shadow nova or whatever we wanna call it just gonna be the new Shadow crush but with no aim and point to make priests more on pair with other classes in AOE. )

• PI: 50% cast on ally targets, 100% on yourself. 20% haste, 20s uptime. PvP: 100% both to caster and ally.

• Mass Dispell: 2min CD. 1.5sec cast. PvP: 45sec CD, 0.5s casttime.

I would feel to make the priest dmg more linear would benifit more and make it alot more fun to play.
Ofc I have not been overthinking this, but well. The point to do something to change from the bad state we are in now, to something that is more fun.

There is simply no rework needed, only a bit more counterplay options against full melee comps.

No need to nerf MD as indeed it’s hard to get off against good players and it’s our only way to survive a good retridin.

All the rest is also fine and fun as it is now. But yea blizzard will just ignore this and keep “reworking” it till no one wants to play it anymore and they have the melee only pvp that they want. I’ve read many ppl say in fb groups and forums they’re completely sick of it, and so am I.

I play shadow main, only doing pvp.
If the surge of insanity change goes through, I am just done playing. Who actually thought of making this change? Just incredible that they want to slow down and make shadow boring again.

Posted my experience from the PTR in the topic. Anyone have the same or a different experience?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.