Not all Roleplay is valid

Agreed, I also think racial themes are good, for instance, a human is unlikely to know the ins and outs of a “demonic alien spaceship”, where as a draenei would, a human is more likely to be the sword swinging, tin suit on a horse type (Kinda GoTish, but more fantasy ofc) lean into those racial themes abit, they seperate themes, from more space ish stuff to more grounded stuff, I play mostly humans and while they are slightly more high fantasy than what you would see in GoT, they certainly wouldnt know the ins and outs of a draenei spaceship, or the specifics of elven magic or the historical knowledge of the explorers league

That would indeed be a good start.

Been here almost 9 years now and still not in it, something must’ve gone wrong.

Not everybody will ever get along and it’s impossible to get a consensus going with a majority agreeing to something.

Sad times.

Okay carry on.

I get not roleplaying the “main char” but there is a certain charm to adventurer rp, I havent delved into it much, but I see the appeal, in a world like Azeroth there would be plenty of adventurers. (If I could be a$$d to start DM’ing/GM’ing again I’d likely make an adventurer guild myself and start running events in raids/dungeons ect, but alas had a year long campaign elsewhere and have been burnt out for ages.)

One does not have to exclude the other though. I have known a guild on Alliance that used to do exactly that, heroic stuff that some would argue, the main chars did too, but they still kept it low enough so that they did not become literal walking demigods. Heck, Des himself, despite being a capable and experienced, but nowhere near super special paladin, has been to Argus. Yet he’s still not the main toon that beats everything effortlessly. ( My terrible rolls at the World Tournament were testament to that).

5 Likes

Yeah ofc, I think though in comparison, some adventurers would seem almost demi-god like compared to a basic footman/soldier/w-e, example, you get some Paladin who’s been fighting in nearly every war for the past 15 years, 7th Legion the lot, fought demons/scourge lords/Horde champions ect, he’s gunna wipe the floor with a basic footman, its not even going to be remotely competitive imo, an incredibly one sided affair, imagine a world champion fighter who’s dominated his division for ten years against an amateur who’s just starting pro, that kinda thing, its a mismatch, Ive seen ppl who insist on rping average af types try n go toe to toe with characters they likely wouldnt survive 10-15 seconds against, but their OOC ego takes over and they forget they are rping a basic soldier type and their opponent some powerful DK/Dh/Paladin or w/e

But then you have to ask yourself questions like: Why do I roleplay this very experienced character? Are they powerful for the sake of being powerful? How do I build my character’s credibility? What is there to be roleplayed when my character’s glory days are in the past? Do they suffer from PTSD, perhaps, or do they have an oath to fulfill? What drives them, and what makes the character interesting to not only roleplay but also to interact with?

Concisely put, good TED Talk.

I’m of the opinion that the biggest hurdle to the quality of RP is not the new folks that come in and want to play their snowflakey concept in a place it doesn’t belong, but moreso a general trend in RP that “conflict bad” that allows it to fester.

I love crossfaction events with all of my heart but I will always find it monumentally weird to go to one and see a Void Elf and a Blood Elf being chummy with one another like one of them didn’t just betray their kingdom and go to war against the other. I understand why it happens but I feel like there’s a trickle-down effect that leads to people believing it’s cool and fine to RP a Nerubian who is best pals with the Stormwind Guards.

Oh and, if you curse in RP I do not respect you. However if you replace the word Hell with Fel like nobody has ever said the former in Warcraft before I also don’t respect you.

6 Likes

Nothing will stop people roleplaying what they want. Not to be that guy but “thou dost not pay mine sub” is a completely valid retort, as unfortunate as it is. The only places that can validly enforce a “standard” - dubious term tbh, are roleplay servers that are not officially blizzard owned.

The issue is we as players shouldn’t be trying to enforce anything really. If Jeremy Lannister and Gerovit of Rivia wish to engage in their low-brow fantasy indulgence then… all power to them? Cutting them out of your rp is also valid but that means they aren’t going to change at all. Rather hostility often hardens peoples attitudes against one another.

So perhaps instead of being divisive next time you see Bobby McStabface the rogue who really doesn’t know how rogues work - try to get along? Maybe roleplay with him, offer some friendly advice once you’re done? I’ve coached a good few dozen roleplayers over the 12 years i’ve been on Argent Dawn, even some have become close friends of over ten years of happiness.

There is worth in reaching out with an open palm over a closed fist.

4 Likes

I generally dont rp that powerful of chars, I imagine alot of people do it for the wrong reasons, people who dont wish to ever lose an IC fight or w/e, for me Im content rping fairly mid tier fighters n taking an L now n then if it makes sense, but for some who rp powerful characters with a tonne of experience, I dont mind indulging it, my chars likely would avoid the fight or fight incredibly dirty and likely ultimately lose, I dont mind an L, but some chars just dont make sense beating others imo, if your rping a basic footman/soldier, you got no business beating some 7th legion paladin vet or some DK/DH in a one on one imo.

1 Like

I would go so far as to say you need a healthy mix of both RP concepts to keep things fresh and exciting. I’ve done events where the group cut through hordes of enemies with ease and other events a single enemy provided an enormous obstacle that left half the party injured – I think both concepts are fun for different reasons. Both concepts also allow different characters to shine and different stories to develop.

In the end, all characters are both “main-characters” and “side-characters”, since it all depends on the specific storyline. Some events we engage in new storylines for ourselves, sometimes we guide others to theirs. That’s the beauty of a collective hobby like WoW RP.

2 Likes

I agree, the hostile attitude gets no one anywhere, it just becomes a pointless argument where neither convinces the other and both are left feeling negative after, I agree if ppl wanna rp this or that, let them, dont engage if you dont wish, like you said, we pay our own subs, we arent obliged to anyone

2 Likes

For me rp combat I usually just try using actual strategy/dirty tactics/fight IQ to try and win, instead of “pure powah”, I try to think more out of the box especially when matched up against someone who likely has a couple of advantages over my own char, but to each their own
Edit: My main has two hounds with him at almost all times aswell as being abit of a jack of all trades in regard to sword/bow, so “1on1s” are 9 times out of 10 heavily in his favor lol(against other “normie” humans/helf/dwarfs ect, he’s yet to have to fight some hulking 12 ft tauren or a Dk/Dh ect)

I can only partly agree with this.

To me the issue comes from a place of “I could interact with this person, but this wouldn’t be a pleasant interaction IC”, usually because realistically it’s concepts that my character would attack on sight, and then I’d have to deal with loldodging and godemoting and backhanded holier-than-thou attitudes from them and their friends, whereas simply ignoring the character would force me to break character.

Despite the fact that the recipient of my character’s hostility logically shouldn’t even be in place X because guards are still a thing, even if they are not roleplayed.

I feel put between a rock and a hard place by these situations.

2 Likes

Lol it is annoying, the /loldodge “better luck next time kid” Naruto runs after power emoting your chars death such people are better off just avoided, and you can get abit of a vybe off if they’ll be that type in the first few interactions (comments/emotes), just walk away if they are that type.

1 Like

In my experience its always better to be daring than timid. Even if they do act out and behave dumbly, they can learn from that. Well, some will.
I am cursed with refulgent optimism in my fellow roleplayer. I know, it’s not very vogue these days.

Absolutely, though I do think these kinds of encounters are overstated. They stick in people’s minds -because- they are absurd however.

2 Likes

Same, ive not actually encountered that many types in all fairness, they are rarer than people make out.

1 Like

Just
‘Rogue undead’
‘Rogue death knights’

PAIN…

2 Likes

Technically anyone outside the jurisdiction of Turalyon is a terrorist, “rogue” or not.