Not all Roleplay is valid

Man couldn’t handle the unlife and copes by fishing for some semblance of normality.

(He was later killed in a drive-by shooting)

4 Likes

On his tombstone it said “Nice guy, never hurt a fly”

1 Like

bit weird to just lash out at random
did you feel as if the OP described you or something?

17 Likes

As someone who tends to be a bit more lenient towards outlandish stuff and also made embarrassing loreblunders and later fixed them with the help of very kind and patient people:

Good thread, well put.

5 Likes

When I started ESO I was the same, had a load of lorebeards teach me that my concept ultimately wouldnt make sense, so made adjustments, fit into the world, dont try make the world fit you

2 Likes

Given what WoW alchemy is like, off-brand geralt is valid.

1 Like

Cant wait to have my dracy potion drinking monster slaying dragon riding, sister wife having, stiletto wearing super chad roaming around the Norf and killing all the low fantasy types

1 Like

OP, you put the points over very well.

Way back whenever I came to discover MMO`s (*cough everquest 2) I assumed that everyone I would meet in the game would be fully immersed in a fantastic character concept that fit the theme of the game setting. After a few hours playing it quickly became clear that most people chatted in say about what they had done last night or what other games they were playing and probably did not even have even a basic idea of what RP was.

And then when you did meet someone who was playing IC, and thought you were getting somewhere , the RP from them would often quickly go… so…you want to go somewhere private and do more adult stuff?

So shortly after I started Wow, joined an RP realm, and assumed well its an RP realm, everyone will be RPing now. Shortly after I discovered it was pretty much the same story though, lots and lots of OOC talking and random gnomes coming up asking if I wanted to suck on something I really didn’t

I kind of learned to filter it out so it would not ruin my wish to play a character in a fantasy world and act in a way that my character would react, and sometimes you get surprised and random RP happens , but mostly if your character reacts to something that is happening nearby you get whispered to go away as your disrupting a scripted plot, ignored completely or various other responses which will probably tick all the banned words you can’t put on the forum.

I get all of the points you make, the problem is a lot of people RP to live out a vision they have and don’t much care if it fits with the setting of the game, is viable or is just plain stupid, and sadly I don’t think that will ever change in any MMO, sad as it may be.

13 Likes

Ironic - I intend a rogue death knight as someone not aligned with either the EB or any other faction, being therefore rogue. Nevermind, we both agree here: you can have the lone-wolf death knight and no one is going to hunt them down because of that.

You’re right, we are on the same page here: I intended rogue death knights as death knights with no affiliation.

Warcraft itself draws inspiration from all of the above. And many others.

In general, it will be hard to pin-point a non-vague spirit for Warcraft - and while there are important and recurring themes, which we could call major themes - I think it’s a bit of a far-fetch to claim that someone’s second life RP is invalid because it breaks the spirit of the game (devs themselves have no problem using second life RP to create pet characters).

In general, I believe this is blaming the surface of the problem. For example, disregarding the GoT noble RPer, I think that DKs in taverns may originate from players who want to role-play their character with other players and, at the same time, being unable to find consistent levels of role-play beyond Stormwind.
Mind, I’m not defending it because I think it’s good RP, or saying that it should be done, I just think that it’s a symptom of a lack of, let’s call it, offer for role-play.

And same goes for people being unwilling to enter in a conflict situation - it has left a sour taste in their mouth so many times, that why should they, as players, do what has left them dissatisfied over and over?

In the end, if this is what a lot of the community does, there is a cause behind it.

Its not random. For someone who lurks in the forums so often, you should know I always envisioned the concept of banding together and deciding what is good or bad RP an element of harm towards our community.

Oh yes, Zaphius is actually the son of a human noble, Tywern Lannistros, and the last in the lineage capable of riding dragons. His last mount being Droggun, a black proto drake with guns on the shoulders - hence the “gun” in the name. Fear not, for he shall break the wheel.

alas im afraid my participation has been plummeting of late
at this rate sig’s gonna reach 10K posts before I do :pensive:

I am aware yes, but that is neither what this thread is about nor does it justify getting aggro instantly i would say personally

1 Like

Why even do it if it’s not weilding cannon sized flintlocks in its tiny wing-hands?

2 Likes

Not before my Dracy does, my exotic looking Dracy male with his 5 different witch-sister wives, atop his steed, he shall kill the son of Tywern Lannistros and rule as Chaegon Targyrinsworth, first of his name, ruler of the Eastern Kingdoms(Norf) and it shall be glorious for all to see.

1 Like

Nah, a ‘rogue’ death knight if you REALLY want to use that term is one that’s going around slaughtering villages and raising them as mindless undead.

Not one that doesn’t belong to either faction or the ebon blade.

1 Like

I doubt it, other than today my own activity has dropped, due to irl things, I doubt I’ll ever get the 10k accolade
Edit: Also I dont really argue as much as I did, so even if I come back to wow more actively after my fathers funeral I doubt I’ll ever have a tonne of posts, as that only tends to occur with the constant back n forth bickering of the forums, something I dont wish to engage in anymore

1 Like

I had a civilian undead fisherman called Barnabas (friends called him Barnaby or Barnes) back in early MoP who was in denial about his unlife and refused to believe he was dead from the trauma he endured. He resolved to cope by returning to his life of fishery to engage in a semblance of normalcy and reclaim some agency back in his (un)life.

He was murdered by some Kor’kron RPers who randomly walked up to him and chopped him to pieces and dropped him into the Southfury River because he wasn’t “contributing enough to the war.”

18 Likes

Poor Barnabas :pensive:

10 Likes

I’ve never met Barnaby in my life and yet I miss him tremendously

10 Likes

It’s exactly what this thread is about: telling people what is valid role-play and what isn’t:

It’s low-key call for action about regulating role-play through mass consensus.

To be fair the idea of some kor’kron extremists killing a Dk at the time because they wasnt “contributing enough to the war” doesnt even strike me as odd lore wise, those Kor’kron under Garrosh were savage af, that situation doesnt shock me.

1 Like

See, sometimes you just have to rip the bandaid off and tell it how it is without trying to dance around hurting someone’s feelings.