Opinions about Vampire Roleplayers 🧛

Assuming the Blood-Thane and san’layn are one and the same in terms of curse, that means they have two means of spreading it to others. Because the latter demonstrably do transfer the curse to others through bites, whereas the Thane applies some nebulous crimson mist to get the job done.

A lot of enemies aren’t correctly classified as what they should be for one reason or another.

Which doesn’t necessarily mean it was the same curse. The San’layn undead elves raised by the Scourge, Lucard obviously wasn’t raised. But considering what he is, he is most likely undead in some fashion.

After all, a stake was driven through his heart and he survived it.

Yes, it turned most of them into blood-crazed, feral fiends. Only their captain is an exception because of an amulet given to him by Lucard.

Most of them are very boring. Strain Strigoi > generic Dracula.

And in more than one setting vampires break these tropes. Including the latest Dracula series.

How are they not vampires? They rock the Gothic aesthetics and consume life force.

He’s a vampire transforming into a more vampiric form, the gargoyle model is simply re-used.
https://www.wowhead.com/spell=16467/kirtonos-transform

Transforms Kirtonos into the form of a vampire.

Why does a setting need a form of vampire that is the vampire of the setting? Very few settings do this. There are hundreds of different forms of vampires in Elder Scrolls, for example. That is the case with Warcraft as well - Kirtanos, the San’layn, Lucard, the vampirates and the Venthyr. All of them are vampires, because this setting doesn’t have a kind of vampire that is the vampire.

While I agree that it doesn’t have to be the same curse, there’s something to be said for the notion.

Headcanon time!

Set a torch to the wretched beings to create a vampyre.

6 Likes

Their preferred instrument is the vamlyre.
If we made them out of hobbits they’d live in the vamshire.
I’m going to stop now, this post is pretty vamdire.

6 Likes

Vampshire.

It was probably an edgy Vrykul teenager who wanted to make their original character for a wizard school fan fiction.

OG’s might know what I’m talking about here.

2 Likes

Takes a DEEP breath.

This entire village must be purged.

1 Like

Ebony Dark’ness Dementia Raven way, you say?
Well the times she remembered how to spell it.

2 Likes

Enoby

4 Likes

Snap and Lupin.
B’loody Mary Smith.

4 Likes

Here’s a tangental, unpopular opinion - not unpopular among forum goers but the larger RP populace of AD.

I think that using WoW and particularly AD and its outer-world community to RP what are essentially concepts copy-pasted from other settings, cringe. Inspiration is a fine thing, and the Warcraft setting is really flexible, but there is definitely a thin and mostly implied line between inspiration and literally outside lore just ported into Azeroth. Recently encountered an oneiromancer as an example of this.

In the case of vampire, you ought to be fine as long as you stick to WoW vampires. The categories of vampires in Warcraft lore are as follows:

• The Scourge-made San’layn.
  • The pirate vampires from that one shipwreck in the viking zone in Legion that I forgot the name of; they mostly translate to a vampire variant of feral worgen in terms of temperament and sentience. As far as I recall, they became ‘vampires’ by the influence of some entombed vrykul lord modelled after the traditional real-life vampire archetypes. Who is dead now, and whose existence can likely be attributed to some offshoot Void pact.
  • Dreadlords for their usage of vampiric spells - the term vampiric being in WoW lore used to sometimes loosely describe a variety of effects based around draining life essence - and all similarly associated dark sorcerers, mages, warlocks, or death knights. This could possibly extend to a Blood DK perhaps holding the title of Vampire after his preference for using such abilities, for example.

Basically, no imported vampires from the Witcher lore, with their mist-like teleportation abilities and nigh-invulnerability to all threats physical and magical, is what I’m saying.

1 Like
3 Likes

This is true, but sorting through who has and who doesn’t have their actual creature type is exhausting and pointless, or at least I feel it is.

Finly certainly seems to think its the same strain seen in blood elves.
which is the connection we have, but finly also makes a strange assumption that the stake will solve the issue, despite the fact we never used stakes to kill san’layn before.
Personally I subscribe to the notion Sir Finly is wrong, since the stake didn’t work it only further begs the question if he is also wrong about the origin of the vampyr strain effecting the blood-thane, its to many unknowns to be certain of anything, if you ask me.

As for the stake in his heart, if we assume his creature type is humanoid and not undead, then maybe he survived because of vrykul resilience, I for one could accept that maybe one stake in the heart of a 3 meter? tall giant muscle bound warrior isn’t going to kill them outright. That is however speculation.

Agreed, I once read a list of compiled weaknesses if vampires where to have all the mythos mixed together and once you realize how many limitations they have, they quickly go from terrors of the night to minor annoyance in the late evening.
Picking and choosing which of the pop culture strengths and weaknesses you want your vampire to have helps in making them worthy of the terror they should inspire in my humble opinion.

It is very much in,
to break the stereotype and subvert expectations, this does not surprise me

You misunderstand, I am saying if we don’t count venthyr as vampires, because they are nothing like the san’layn, what are they then if not just hardcore larpers?
I think they are vampires and they are just as much vampire as san’layns are or dreadlords.

He is without a doubt themed around a vampire, but in setting that makes him very unique, as he is the only case of a humanoid taking the form of a gargoyle, you don’t see that behavior anywhere else, not the san’layn, though their queen rock some cool wings, not the blood-thane, and not the venthyr. Arguably the Dreadlords do it, but they usually take the form of a swarm of bats.

Kirtonos is a strange anomaly who could be connected to the same curse as the blood-thane and san’layn, but since he is gone and his story was never expanded upon, we don’t know.

You misunderstood me then.
I am not arguing for a defined vampire, this entire time I made the case wow doesn’t have a single defined vampire, but a group of vampyr and that they are not some special kind of undead necessarily but rather a label even you the player can easily adopt and use, if you meet the basic requirement that is “can you drain life energy?” all the rest is seemingly optional if you want to RP one.
The most barebones lore friendly vampyr character you can roleplay could be John Doe the warlock who likes to drain the life of animals instead of eating normal food.
you don’t need to dress or act like Dracula from popular fiction, you don’t need to be a venthyr who hides from the sun, you don’t need to be a san’layn or even a dreadlord
you don’t need to use blood magic, and you don’t even need to be undead.

You can be inspired by Kirtanos, Lucard, the vampire pirates, san’layn and the venthyr, but its optional, and not necessary to justify your character being a vampyr in RP
The material we have is obscure, scarcely connected and opens room for lots of headcannon, which is both good and bad depending on how hard you go into it.

I hope I explained myself well enough.

1 Like

Whats wrong with an oneiromancer?
A Green dragon describes himself as one and I believe one has a name close to that too.
It’s not something exclusive to say The Witcher or some other story or game.

1 Like

I tend to avoid them as otherwise most of my characters would be putting them down for use of blood magic being Paladins or reporting them to the authorities.

My RP and a Vampire’s rp are usually at odds and I hate emote fights.

I play a Blood DK.
Same thing, without the teenage melodrama that follows it. They function practically as close as you can get to one within the Warcraft universe.

Plus you get all the fun of trying to balance your sanity/insanity with your monstrous/mortal side. Just without the baggage.

1 Like

Well, she was not a green dragon. She was a human who invented a culture around oneiromancers being common, and feared, and taken away from their families, et cetera.

Okay not being a green dragon is fine, but the rest here? Seems a bit much.
The reading of dreams is truly terrifying! Take them away!

I am dreading the Sigmound Freud oneiromancer who is adamant that your dream is a sign you are envious of a certain :eggplant: shaped body part.

1 Like