Outlaw Rogue - Contemplation

I mean, for years I played my favourite class of Combat Rogue and now I painfully see that the Rogue has been turned into the Pirate.

In my opinion, it would be much more relevant to create a samurai/ronin theme for the class as a prequel to the combat rogue.

Both to the class design and back story should be upheld with this, pirates just don’t fit the scheme.

What do u think guys?

Kind regards

Subtlety is the only true rogue.

2 Likes

My god, do you not understand what a Rogue is? Pirates are practically the definition of a rogue–ruffians, cheaters, liars, completely self-serving.
What have you brainwashed yourself into thinking a Rogue is?

5 Likes

Everyone has freedom of opinion to question the class design. For me it doesn’t fit and I express myself decently and objectively. For you it seems to fit and you see a sense behind it. Just because one does not agree with you does not mean that we have mental difficulties!

So either behave or get out of my post.

3 Likes

Mate the samurai were basically japanese knights - quite the opposite of a rogue in terms of alignment. If anything, they’d fit better under the paladin fantasy/archetype (or possibly closer to warrior in terms of mechanics).

If there were to be an asian-inspired rogue spec, surely “Ninja” would be the go-to staple, no?

1 Like

One can already argue that Subtlety is a ninja spec, too.

2 Likes

Make a Panda arms warrior with spear or katana. That’s about as samurai as it gets.

My opinion is this: the best thing right now would be continue to listen to years long community feedback and to give a little of something from devs to everyone.

Instead of cutting things, just leave the old and add new aside to choose from. Enrich , expand instead of taking away and forcing players to enjoyed something entirely new, but not necessarily better, they don’t want.

Give more cosmetics choices to design your rouge as you feel right: vials of poison on belts, an option to finally wear hood with googles, like dhs, a weapon on back or by side, a hook or shadowstep to close to an enemy. Give some ability to choose from and replace the existing one if it would fix the balance (for ex. Recuperate instead of Crimson Vial, Expose Armor instead of Find Weaknes etc.). Give back a possibilty to choose Gouge for all 3 spec.

Don’t like to be a pirate? Be able to switch beetwen Outlaw and Combat iconic abilities, or when it would be to hard to balance / implement, just do the glyph / cosmetic to be able to change between at least a feelling to play one or another.

More bleed based abilities were in both Assa and Sub? Go ahead and let both spec beeing able to choose from them again. To hard to balance? Again, do at least cosmetic choices to respect old builds and class fantasy feelings or replace existing one ability to balance it.

1 Like

A Samurai/Ronin which imo would far better serve being a spec for Warriors branching off of Arms due to the ‘master of arms’ and all that jazz.

Samurai is a life of dedication, serving one master, total self discipline and very, very strict ethics. ‘Bushido’ - something a rogue would know very little of.

I love outlaw and it’s pirate nuances - it fits for me what is a traditional ‘rogue’. Though my rogues definitely lack that buccaneer twang. You’d also likely smell the rum before you see them. Or the gingivitis.

3 Likes

For Some reason i hate sub , i dont know why:)
Assa feels kinda boring after playing a few weeks .
Shame Outlaw sucks for raiding .

The original name of “Combat” for the Spec was extremely lazy. This game is a combat game, with some other stuff in it, but mainly everything we do revolves around being in combat. The name itself offers no way of providing an identity or style to the Spec. “Outlaw” was a fitting name, and while one might argue it leaned a bit too hard on the Pirate theme specifically, it is rather fitting in the context of Warcraft. They could’ve gone with more of a Highwayman style as well, but the main idea of being a criminal, who is all about the money, not too bothered how they get it, that worked out pretty well.

I think if they ever did some Glyphs for the Class, some Rogue specific Transmog, that could help with selling the fantasy better. Hopefully the new Talents allow for enough flexibility to allow us to be the kind of Outlaw we want to be.

The Samurai were the elite class of warriors. Ideally, they would be closer to Paladins, but in reality, depending on the period, they could’ve just been bored nobles playing with swords. A Ronin would be a Samurai without a master. Even then, they wouldn’t be a roguish character, but instead closer to a wandering Knight, so Warrior and Paladin would be the closest analogues for both Samurai and Ronin.

The Ninja, or Shinobi, would be the closest thing to a Rogue. They were Assassins, Intelligence Agents. They would commit sabotage, spy on their targets, and use stealth, disguises and subterfuge to get past guards in order to assassinate their marks. Their weapons were often poisons, and small blades, concealed weapons. In Warcraft, we see both Assassination and Subtlety fit this fantasy pretty well.

_

Honestly, the one thing WoW Rogues don’t have in their kit is the ability to sabotage, which translated to game mechanics would be something like traps and explosives. Using smoke bombs and firecrackers to distract, stuff like that would feel fitting as well. A good place for Aesthetic Glyphs to modify existing Spells, like Distract and Smoke Bomb.

1 Like

Personally I love the chance of having a rogue character that is not stricly a silent and stealthy assassin. A pirate with a gun as well is funnier for me to play and, as a matter of fact, yesterday I decided to create a gnome outlaw and see if it is funny to play as I imagine!

1 Like

“Duhhh me invisible so me ninja man.”

Well, that’s was one of the main reason to play Combat / Outlaw in the first place, which is a great example how a rogue fantasy could be variously interpreted.
That’s the beauty here. If Blizz could go further this way (again, not by cutting thing, but adding an alternatives), that would be something.

1 Like

Aesthetics seems something that bothers people in regards to the spec as a whole, though it can be easily changed with the addition of glyphs;

Would love to see a glyph to hide the 2nd weapon for a more fencer/duelist look, or… change pistol shot to dagger/axe throw;

Maybe even change grappling hook to something more akin to a ‘graceful’ heroic leap, like warriors have

2 Likes

Outlaw is probably the safest rogue spec to play with a healer in the current 2v2 meta where most classes dump so much damage on you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.