Overwhelming amount of content to begin raiding?

I came back to WoW around 3 weeks ago with the intention of raiding in 8.3. I’ve done the war campaign etc, but now I’m finding that there is an overwhelming amount of stuff I need to do to even begin raiding, and to be honest I can’t see how anyone could have the time for it all?

I’ve been doing my best in Nazjatar which seems hopelessly overtuned to me as someone just coming back with bad gear. All of the quests and dailies for reputation take so much time to complete simply because 2-3 enemies can happily kill me, and there is such a high density everywhere. On top of this I need to do Mechagon and get both to Revered for the mandatory essences for my spec.

When I’ve had time, I’ve been trying to get Tortollan reputation to revered so I can get flying, and generally doing the emissary, and a chunk (but not all) of daily 8.2 content takes up all the time I have to play each day.

Now with 8.3, I did the introductory quest line and got into my first vision with the goal of killing 20 somethings, which I do easily. Now I’m told because I didn’t kill a boss (that the game gave no indication even existed) I am irrecoverably behind for the rest of the patch?

This amount of daily work, and it really does feel like work rather than a hobby, just to be able to begin raiding again seems way too much? Am I trying to bite off more than necessary here?

1 Like

Well, firstly it’s because you started multiple patches behind everyone, so there is some groundwork that needs to be established, and Blizzard hasn’t yet provided any real catch-up mechanisms. However, gearing should not be a huge concern for you, considering Nazjatar and the new 8.3 patch will give you free good gear for doing pretty mundane tasks, so keep doing world quests and in Nazjatar remember to use your pearls to buy gear (there is a npc that sells gear tokens, 385 ilvl and you can upgrade them further). On top of that, I got multiple +410 pieces from doing only the 8.3 cloak questline.

Now as for the second part about you being irreversibly behind, well, it could be true, but it could also not be true. Let’s look at what’s happened here. So people say that because you didn’t kill a boss inside a vision, you’re behind others when it comes down to the patch. Well, this statement is true, but at the same time it is probably not true in your case. The “slay 20 enemies” inside a vision happens to be a mini-vision, and not the real deal, and you weren’t supposed to kill any “boss” inside there. Let me ask you: have you gotten your legendary cloak yet? If you haven’t, you are pretty close, and it also means you couldn’t have messed up (yet).

See, the real visions are something that you do later on in the questline, after obtaining your cloak. In those visions, you visit corrupted Orgrimmar, and you’re tasked with killing Thrall while there, and you also have a bunch of other objectives. Now the people that are saying that you messed up are probably confusing this scenario with the mini-vision which required you to kill 20 mobs inside. See, once you’ve acquired your cloak, you can enter these horrific visions and Wrathion will have a quest for you which will reward you with an item that upgrades your cloaks “rank”. To complete that quest, you need to kill Thrall inside a vision and he will drop the quest item you need for the upgrade. Now, here’s the catch: if you enter a real horrific vision (the one in Orgrimmar, not anything else (next week it can be Stormwind too)) and you DIE by either, well, dying, or by having your sanity reduced to 0 before you KILL thrall, you will not get the quest item, and you will technically be behind. This can be avoided by going straight for Thrall and ignoring the other objectives, which will give you loot if you manage to clear them as well, but it bears the risk of you losing the cloak upgrade. Now this is what they’re talking about when they’re saying you’re behind, which I doubt you are.

If I was you, I wouldn’t worry about it right now. From the above you should be able to tell whether or not you messed up yet, and honestly, even if you did, it’s not “irrecoverable”. Just means that you’re behind on cloak ranks, for however many visions you screwed up, and the cloak does have a cap of 15 ranks so at some point you will catch up regardless. As for your gear, I suggest you keep doing the 8.3 dailies, and possible some Nazjatar wq’s while you work on your revered nazjatar + mechagon rep for flying. You get to decide what you think is worth your time. While there is a lot to do, it does not mean that you need to do absolutely all of it, you’re fine if you allocate your time to the most important tasks (again, determine by yourself what these are, but I would recommend doing the 8.3 assaults for gear + visions, and nazjatar/mechagon stuff as a bonus for now). As for the old reps, try to focus on the emissary caches, especially if you need rep for a certain faction, and this is only 3/4 wq’s a day, which is about 15-20 mins of work max.

Again, right now it might seem like there’s way too much to do, but as you cross things from your to-do list, it’ll become a lot more manageable. Focus on one or two things at a time, and don’t overdo it if you don’t feel comfortable doing that. I promise that in a month or less of doing just a couple things a day you’ll be on par with most people, probably even less than that. You don’t need over 10 hours a week of WoW to be competitive, you can probably do it in 4 or 5. Turned out to be a long post, but hopefully it’s at least somewhat useful. Here’s some reading about visions if you really want to understand what they’re about:

1 Like

Gear is not that problem, essences are. Keep trying Nazjatar and buy full Bethnic set, which can also be easily upgraded to 400. The rest will come doing world quests. Also, in 8.3 there are 410 BoA drops. You can catch up much more easily then you think. Flying and rep is different story. It will take significant time. Gl.

Thank you both. I don’t know if it came across but I was very irate when I wrote the OP and frankly didn’t deserve a decent answer, but you’ve bother come in and provided great information that’s really helped so thank you.

You’re right, it was the mini vision that I did, the confusion came from some miscommunication between my guild and I.

For now I’m just accepting I’ll be a bit behind for a few weeks, but seeing as Shadowlands is at least 6 months away it really doesn’t matter.

Thank you again

1 Like

You started 6 expansion behind so…
For now focus on 8.3 and get flying - rest overwhelming content you can do when you don’t have anything to do.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.