Oxidized Leachbeast and Paint Vial: Lemonade Steel feedback

Let me start with a simply statement: I like very much both zones added with 8.2 and their corresponding mechanics, achievements, challenges and lore.
Since I like them so much, I set my mind on completing both meta achievements (Undersea Usurper and Mecha-Done) together with most of the new content of 8.2 such as essences, quests and so on.

Now let’s jump directly to what I consider is the issue: Oxidized Leachbeast. For those not aware, it drops the “Paint Vial: Lemonade Steel” which is needed for the “Available in Eight Colors” achievement which in turn is needed for the meta achievement.
To make it spawn you have to do the following:

1. Wait until the Weather Alteration Machine, a small tower in Junkwatt Depot, spawn. It has often been associated with the spawn of the rare Mr. Fixthis but still not confirmed. Once used it has still an undefined cooldown before spawning again.
  2. When the Weather Alteration Machine is up, kill any mob in the Junkwatt Depot to drop Exothermic Evaporator Coil. According to WoWhead, the drop chance is 1.2% and 1.4%, and we are talking about elite mobs.
  3. When you have the Exothermic Evaporator Coil, activate the Weather Alteration Machine and it should start raining in the Depot. The rain has two effects: it turns all elite mobs to normal mobs and it spawns Oxidized Leachate, small neutral oozes.
  4. The last step is still unclear. To spawn Oxidized Leachbeast it seems that you have to kill the small oozes (Oxidized Leachate) until a certain threshold. Or the Leachbeast has a chance to spawn instead of a group of Leachates. Or it is totally random.
    I killed about 15 Leachbeasts so far and I experienced the full spectrum of situations: from the spawn right after the activation of the Weather Alteration Machine to not spawning at all after 30min farming small oozes and forcing to restart the process from scratch.
  5. When you kill the Leachbeast, the paint has a 16% chance to drop (according to WoWhead).

You can clearly see that the process has four different layers of RNG (points 1/2/4/5) with most of them having very low thresholds. I am sure I am not the only one in the situation that I killed about 15 Leachbeasts without still having the drop and, to be honest, not only it fills like a duty anymore but it is slowly eroding my will to play and get the achievement.

In my opinion this is due to a very simply bad design that went possibly under the radar since the patch was massive with a lot of new content. My feedback is that there are several and very easy solutions to the problem. Either:
a) Increase the drop chance to at least 50%. This would make spawning the rare still difficult but way more rewarding in the end.
b) Make Oxidized Leachbeast spawn instantly after activating the Weather Alteration Machine (eliminating step 4, the least understood and most tedious one). This would simplify the process keeping the high RNG only at the end.

Theres worser rng. Caustic Mechaslime

1: It requires the drill event, which means you cant even get it daily
2: Drill event 73 has to spawn, and its one of the rarest of them all. On a bad day it might never spawn. Once waited multiple hours for one.
3: Super low chance drop of the Ulility Mechanoclaw from the Caustic Mechaslime.

In comparision Ive seen the Oxidized Leechbeast a LOT! Just join a group doing spare parts farming at Junkwatt depot. Dont try to do it alone, thats most likely your mistake. Goes so much faster in a farming group.

Yes, I always do it in group while farming spare parts to maximise the loot. However, my main complain was the four different nested levels of RNG together with low chances for three out of four levels which feels like a bad a design for no particular reason.

For comparison the Caustic Mechaslime has “only” three layers of nested RNG (right day -> shared drill -> drop) and the drop rate is 12% higher (from 16% to 28%).

With a simple tuning of those numbers they can all be much more enjoyable events.

Caustic Mechaslime, the only Mechagon rare I’ve never seen yet.

Because its from drill event 73

best option for this is a spare part group with rain.

regarding normal drills. there seems to be some rng which is rarer than the others. i had two occasions when one of them was on a more rare timer. didnt spawn for hours and suddenly late night (one of the two times i experienced it) came up…

I gave up after 4 weeks grinding for the lemonade paint, 100% positive its just not worth the time, same with the 2 blueprints & music sheet from the data anomoly, that zone is far too fiddely and just not worth the effort, no idea what they’re were thinking with those metas, probs too busy getting classic ready and just left the proper wow at a standstill i guess.

im enjoying the clean mechacycle, it is worth the effort. dont give up.

1 Like

Seems I’ve been lucky, had a drop from mechaslime, leechbeast and the data anomaly without specifically looking for it. But I’m still missing the triumph of gnomeregan and orange paint vial, they are driving me crazy.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.