[Pandaria] [Event] 5th Celestial Fist Tournament

Gonna be singning up Jaguar Warrior Zul’khan for intermediate bracket.

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: I have two questions!

I usually get my lore from the online content Blizzard puts out, so maybe this is a novel thing, but how do jaguar warriors correlate to pandaren martial arts? Was there a founder? Or did the first jaguar warrior return to Zandalar after having spent time in a monastery on Pandaria? Or have I misunderstood and there’s a pandaren teacher somewhere in your character’s personal lineage that began immediately after the events on the Isle of Thunder? We need to know these little details because,

which does not strictly apply to pandaren who aren’t monks but practice martial arts nevertheless, but also to people and lineages that begin with a pandaren master!

If yes but recent, how long has the pandaren been teaching him for? If I’m not mistaken it’s been 3, maybe 4 years in lore since these events? If yes, how hard has he been training under new teachings since then?

Again, this is strictly so that we understand how a character’s competitive bracket factors into their background!

1 Like

Thanguron here signing up to be one of the referees again, had a lot of fun last time!

Hello, Joshi Jomin, signing up for Master Bracket ! :smiley:

There is unfortunately little lore on Jaguar Warriors, Zandalari have massive limbo in the coolest character classes. The way I interpret them is that they (at least mine!) followed Kimbul and given they learn from very young age to even be considered able to survive in their caste would already give them some experience. I also included a motivation that after getting his butt kicked the troll decided to mix his style with Pandaren ones to counter the monks in his desire for revenge in form of beating the strongest monks he can find. Being in his mid 30’s and training intensely after Throne of Thunder alongside the concept of “spiritual power” of E’ko I think he can cut it.

Apologies for the late reply!

First things first. I love the concept, and it has great potential to fuel long-term rivalries with monks that could persist all the way down to the EoL of WoW!

Unfortunately, however, your character’s background suggests that he learned from pandaren monks, but never studied under a pandaren school, let alone a master who chose to carry a pandaren’s teachings onward. We (including I, really) understand that this condition sounds convoluted and extremely limiting, but we believe it’s crucial for an event made to honor the teachings of Kang, and many other schools that followed in his footsteps, that these same teachings are indeed represented - and indeed honored.

We (again, including I) understand that this is frustrating as the Celestial Fist Tournament is the only unarmed tournament, and monk-centered tournament, and martial arts tournament that roleplayers have to flock to, but despite critique that we are already way too lax in whom we allow to participate (yes, really - that is a recurring critique), we work hard every tournament to give and maintain the Celestial Fist Tournament the identity it deserves.

That is not to say there is no room for revenge stories. There absolutely is. Rivalries between pandaren schools can be an extremely elegant point of entry for hatred and vendetta.

Having said all that, there is still hope. Valladia is currently organizing a Grand World Tournament (May 27th - 30th), which will be featuring single combat duels on the fourth day for monks to partake in as well!

I hope this message has cleared up any confusion on how we strive to decide on who is and who isn’t qualified for the tournament.

2 Likes

Appreciate the share, just a heads up it finishes on the 31st!

I saw no issue with orc warriors being in novice bracket or a anchorite being in masters bracket?? I was out there being a referee for you at that time, so I’m seeing the fair point of critique if specialized unarmed combat group member isn’t allowed to attend while someone with 0 experienced was. So I’ll be assuming this is a new thing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kenton Foy signing up for the intermediate bracket!

The tournament is kinda in a weird spot in that it really advertises itself as a monk tournament, with titles, names, locations, themes and so on, but the way the rules and brackets are designed means that characters often end up where you wouldn’t expect them to (and sometimes do not match the theme at all). You need to have trained any amount of pandaren monkhood to enter, but the amount has no bearing on your brackets, so master monks end up paired versus novices on the regular. For that reason I’ve always seen this as closer to a generic brawling tournament than one specifically about monk skills.

For obvious reasons it’s therefore not a design I entirely agree with, but it seems more or less set in stone by now and the only way to have it different would be if I made my own tournament (which would probably be seen as petty, and definitely feels like more competition than our already tiny niche can handle).

With all that said, Sey Li signing up for the master’s bracket. No promises but we’ll see if we can make this work.

1 Like

After a little discussion, we’ve decided to cook up something better than Sey Li in the master’s bracket :grin:

Stay tuned to find out!

And don’t forget to sign up. Be a monk!

Hello, yes! I’d like to sign Tomotta Windwaker for the Intermediate bracket.

Always wonderful to see you host these events!

1 Like

Hello there, Norwind Sparkspinner signing up for the intermediate bracket

Cant wait! :smiley:

1 Like

Although I can’t participate myself, it certainly is great to see the initiative make a return! I wish all of the hosts and those who participate in the event, the best of luck. :snake:

1 Like

Adrian Dawson signing up for the intermediate bracket!

2 Likes

Velravyn of the Thundering Blade signing up for the Novice bracket.

1 Like

:dagger: You’re on

Liao of Krasarang shall partake in the Masters Bracket

1 Like

Vixena of the Bilgewater Battalion signing up for the Novice bracket.

2 Likes

Strong Hou, signing up for the intermediate bracket!

I’ve never set a specific number of years to his age or experience, so he’s probably somewhere around the border between intermediate and master, but in terms of relative skill and how I’m able to portray him, intermediate suits him better.

1 Like