PC Slower after cleaning :P

Cleaned my GPU after getting crashes during bgs, I had perfectly normal fps, played smooth until unexpectedly crashing. next morning launched WoW again to see if the problem persisted and if so, what the problem was, again, normal fps, fan got louder, and eventually crashed again. So I decided to clear out my gpu, tried using compressed gas but there was a thick layer of dirt, so I delicately, using a very small and thin screwdriver I loosened the layer of dirt making little contact if any and manually took it out, then used compressed air to again clear out as much dust as possible and assemble it back into my PC.

After launching, the fan had gone considerably quieter, no crashes, but very low fps, staying below 30 and very frequently (every few seconds) dropping to below 10 when moving around (previously my fps being stable at around 60). Checked my GPU temperature using ‘openhardwaremonitor’ software and ‘msi afterburner’ and my temperatures weren’t showing anything abnormal, 65-70C.

I have went from playing WoW at quality lvl 8 graphics, having tabs open in the background for Music/Videos/Films, and Steam and/or Discord to now; barely even running graphics quality lvl 5 (putting it down to 1 or 2 makes no visible difference to performance from 5) and without any tabs or background software. The loading screens have gotten much longer too.

I’m wondering if anyone know what may be the problem? and if so, if there are any solutions?

Thanks in advance.

System Information

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Predator G5900
BIOS: Default System BIOS (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4088MB RAM
Page File: 4948MB used, 4514MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, no HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
GPU: GeForce GTX 470

Its a weird problem youre describing, double check the settings of any programs you used to troubleshoot, I know MSI afterburner allows you to configure power output and fan speed, most of these programs also allow control over the GPUs performance so those would be my first bet
Maybe a reset to default option in those programs, maybe outright removal or a reset on driver settings to factory values

4GB RAM sounds a bit light… you sure you haven’t got more & some of it isn’t seated right?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.