PC specs for someone who has no clue

I need to buy a new PC as laptop is not fun anymore on 10-30FPS, if I’m lucky. I want something that can play the game the way its supposed to be graphically; 60-120fps, short loading, max graphics outdoors etc but also not cost me a bar…

I am a complete noob in pc specs but been told I need a decent graphics card and i7 cpu.

Would this do for what I want?

|Processor (CPU)|Intel® Core™ i7 12-Core Processor i7-12700F (2.1GHz) 25MB Cache|
|Motherboard|ASUS® STRIX B760-I GAMING WIFI (LGA1700, DDR5, USB 3.2) - ARGB Ready!|
|Memory (RAM)|16GB PCS PRO DDR5 4800MHz (2 x 8GB)|
|Graphics Card|12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP, LHR|
|1st M.2 SSD Drive|250GB KINGSTON NV2 NVMe PCIe SSD (3000MB/R, 1500MB/W)|
|Power Supply|CORSAIR 650W CV SERIES™ CV-650 POWER SUPPLY|
|Processor Cooling|PCS FrostFlow 120 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler|

Thanks in advance

The set is quite good, although not really that powerful, and could use some optimizations:

If you want on the budget side then i5-12400F but if you want better then Ryzen 5800X3D. If you want bleeding edge Ryzen 7800X3D.

16GB is fine for most games, but if you are into a new PC that should also handle upcoming games or Chrome you could look at 32GB of RAM.

This is quite low in terms of GPU power. Like 1080p with some 1440p. Depending on your budget I would strongly recommend getting something one tier up here (3070/4060Ti) or getting a good price on like Radeon RX 6950 XT which is priced around 3070 while being a much stronger (and power-hungry) card.

GPU sales are very low so each vendor is bit desperate and price cuts are all over the GPU lineup, especially for AMD and Intel graphics cards :smiley:

For RTX 3060 it is fine, for a stronger card I would recommend 750-850.

250GB SSD is really bad in terms of performance and value. Decent 1-2TB NVMe SSD isn’t expensive and offers really good performance.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!
Why would you suggest the i5 over the i7 is it the GHz?
Ryzen isn’t an option for where I am buying the deal from.

Someone suggested a Radeon 6700 XT instead of the 3060. The 3070/6950 XT are just out of my budget range.

Due to value you get. 12400F is very well priced for what it offers, while i7 and i9 nowadays have a lot of cores and are something between gaming and workstation CPUs while most games not using so many cores (mostly the latest AAA single-player games can utilize large core counts).

12700F will be slightly better for WoW than 12400F but only slightly. For running multiple apps or some computing tasks it will be noticeably better due to a larger core count.

And if they don’t have Ryzens then check other shops. The best value is the best value.

6700XT would perform similarly to RTX 3070 so it’s a good pick as well.

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips. I did find Ryzens after all but it just pushes my budget up.
So I’ll stick with i5, 6700xt, bigger PSU, 32gb ram, 1tb ssd which all seems to be what’ll work for what I need.
Appreciate it. Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.