People who love retail wow, but hate classic, tell me your reasons

So i am a person who really hates retail wow and what it has become. I could go over with a fine comb of the individual things i like or dislike, and tell blizz why i believe they are good or bad, but at this point it seems a lost cause, and i can just go to classic for a game i like. Thanks blizz. But why do you love retail wow so much? What really makes it better than classic? I want to understand these reasons, so don’t be shy, tell me why, and the more long posts i got, the more i got to read while farming.

1 Like

I would say that picking between 2 bad choices is actually not a choice.

20 Likes

For me it’s just that classic is way to easy. There’s almost no mechanics to worry about and it’s just a time sink, you don’t actually have to be a decent player to clear any content.

Sure I went back to classic with my friends when it launched but I just got so tired cause there’s no difficulty involved, and yeah you could argue retail isn’t super hard either but at least it’s harder than AFK pressing 1 button for 30-40 seconds until the boss is dead

12 Likes

Thread titles like this, classic Andys :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

Because classic raids are a massive joke

10 Likes

I have reasons to like and dislike both of them. Neither is anywhere close to perfect.

In retail I dislike that I feel I am being rushed to complete tasks at a certain time limit as well as to do regular chores.
But I like how retail has flight, a large variety of locations, more dialogues, cutscenes, and actually intuitive questing order.

In Classic I dislike not being able to be summoned by the meeting stones, how it need a questing guide to not end up without quests to do, how there is all that downtime due to limited power resources (mana) and how some classes are just worse than others.
But I love how the way classic is made encourages the formation ocommunities within the server that can have fun while helping each other. I like how the joruney to max level feels like a journey and not an obstacle.

3 Likes

For me it’s the possibilities, in Classic it ends because of nothing new or exciting to look forward to, we know what the game is and we know what raids are available, what then?

Although I have issues with retail at present, I am still hopeful that SL will be a good expansion :slight_smile: So for me it’s what is coming and even though for me personally Wrath was the best expansion, if they brought out Wrath I would be all over it and play for hours/days/weeks/months, but if I am honest I am not sure I would continue with it because once I had done everything I wanted to do, then what? So yeah for me it’s the excitement for what happens next that keeps me in retail.

I’m glad classic WoW got released.

It immediately shut down the people crying “WoW is too easy nowadays”. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

i dont hate classic, i dont even dislike it, but its just not for me anymore i guess so im indifferent about it. good for those who like it and for those who dont. each to their own, i dont judge.

its just, its…slow and boring. it doesnt offer anything new. that its not very challenging doesnt help either.

with a few exceptions, i have never liked questing in any game. i ve always preferred group content like dungeons or raids or anything that hasnt anything to do with questing. i think questing is boring and mind numbing and a necessary evil, especially when you autoattack or sit down and drink most of the time.

this is why i love the new leveling system of retail so much i guess.

if classic had some serveral serious qol overhauls, i think i could bring myself to play it again.

classic isnt very challenging, which is okey in its own right, but i as a player have evolved. i am not a child anymore who doesnt know what its doing and the mmo world is new and exciting. hence i love a challenge. raids have so much more mechanics now and i just love m+ because you can actually challenge and push yourself if you wish.

for me, the view of endgame has shifted. i dont see leveling as huge part of the game anymore. leveling feels rather like a waste of time to me.

im not saying that retail is perfect. its actually far from it, but so is classic.

i suppose that…retail is ever evolving and classic is not. well…it somewhat is but…its all the same and we know what is to come and i have done it a bazillion times already. so there is nothing to look forward to for me i guess.

i dont want to be stuck in the past either. the players have changed thus the “vanilla feel” isnt there anymore. it lasted like what? maybe a month or two? thats why the chats are filled with booster ads just like retail is. it just feels like retail but a way downgraded version.

the “real deal” is never coming back and i have come to accept it and i cherish the moments i had over a decade ago.

7 Likes

I dont play Classic/vanilla. TBC is my first wow.

Still no try play classic. But, if I guess TBC was a bit same Classic.
When I don’t like hunter need feed for pets. If come hunger, it run away.

Also hunter run out bullets/arrows.

1 Like

Classic is not Vanilla, that’s why I don’t like it.

3 Likes

That is indeed a low point of the older versions of WoW, along with the hunter deadzone

I don’t “hate” classic…it’s just a case of been there done that.
Classic is missing one major component of Vanilla and that’s the fact that it’s not a new experience (for me). After the first month my “nostalgia cup” was full and I have ZERO interest in pursuing an endgame that’s been done 15 years ago.

Retails is far from perfect but at least is something new.

1 Like

Transmog, nuff said :3

10 Likes

I play both, but I hate playing lots of elements of Classic because of spell batching. I hate playing an unresponsive game. For me it ruins:

• PvP
  • AoE grinding as Frost Mage
  • Playing several classes (hunter, warlock, druid)
  • Tons of small annoyances and bugs that the lag causes

I still enjoy raiding but god damn. Nobody needs a 0.4 second delay. That’s worse lag than what we had in 2005.

I’d taken a break from WoW - 13/14 years and when I came back I was confused as hell. But I persevered and started to enjoy it again but then the opportunity came to play Classic and I was so hyped to go back.

And I did go back. And it wasnt what I had remembered. To be honest the problem wasnt Classic, it was me. It took me all that time to realise that it wasnt the game itself that I was missing or lacking but the players that I played with in Vanilla, it was them that I was missing.

I’d like to think I’ll take another trip down memory lane but the next time I’ll know that if I cant stay the problem wont be with the game but with myself

4 Likes

I think this part is true for a lot of players Farkleberry :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To me the reason is simple, WoW without draenei does not exist.

4 Likes

Classic is a walking simulator ?

Spec with literally 1 key to raid , frost mage and warlock ?

U do all the dungeons they become very boring without something more ?

My eyes are closing when i do most stuff in classic …

I got no hate towards it i played in the past i played this year to just incredibly dull and boring game .

I enjoyed the hell out of vanilla when it was current, total addict but when I went back to classic after having played retail for so long I just found myself thinking “this is tedious af” and just did not enjoy myself as much anymore.

Couple that with the way the people around me acted, freaking spell-cleave nonsense and the whole “go go go!” mentality it was an easy choice to go back.

Retail also looks better, plays smoother, has flying, transmog, good(and bad) QoL improvements, more races and way more content to play through.

3 Likes