Pet peeves: The return (Part 5)

Frankly they’re pushing their limit at allowing Halfling.

Edit: Their decision on Gnome is completely understandable because I too have ran the other direction when it comes to the existence of Gnomes. Not a vibe in anyway. They feel like tinker/inventor Dwarves which is just something I give to Dwarves.

Can’t ban the Lucky guys! Nothing is better as a player than hitting that nat 1 and simply saying “no” to turn it into a hit (or even rarer, a crit).

1 Like

Curses you to endure a Halfling Extra Lucky Feat Chronurgy/Divination Wizard. We’ll see if you change your opinion after the 10th re-rolled diceroll each combat.

1 Like

can someone explain to me why people love tieflings so much

2 Likes

Of course.

Half-elves and tieflings are exactly the core races that don’t exist in my original world (don’t steal).

Remind me to never ever deal with the terminally online in any of my hobbies. Especially a game of pretend elves that they somehow turned into serious business.

Yes please, I second that.

1 Like

It is unknowable to me and honestly the fact the terminally-online associate the devilspawn with Queer people makes me feel even weirder about them.

2 Likes

horns are cool and imposing

For the Hypothetical Dodger Setting that I’ve been idly thinking up worldbuilding for these past couple years during my commute, the focus has so far largely been on orcs, the vampire imperium (the vampyrium, if you will) and the history and difference between human and elven mages.

Elves and humans themselves haven’t received much in the way of worldbuilding yet other than the human nations being the most populous race and one of the kingdoms got conquered by the vampires from the inside to create the quote unquote Vampyrium and its human population has been assimilated into their culture; their hearts growing dark and twisted.

They’re extremely hot people who are othered because of their innate traits, despite having never done anything wrong.

It maps extremely easily onto queer identity for a lot of people.

Also they can have any skin colour and

So you can go nuts with making your OC wild and wonderful. Their charisma boost encourages them to be things like bards, which leads into horny bards/sexual liberation stuff.

3 Likes

i see i see i see

i’m taking your gay card for even asking

1 Like

i wasn’t gay in the first place hunty

1 Like

this reminds me of how many times i used to drop mine while at school

i’m so glad that my classmates were always looking out for me back then

4 Likes

Half-elves being similarly othered as not part of either society is a thing. The basic list saying “never” to either one can be interpreted uncharitably.

Meanwhile Half-Orcs are similarly othered but they’re not as conventionally hot so people can just overlook that they’re allowed, apparently :+1:

Yes.

I’ve played D&D since 2018 (granted, most of that was Adventurers League), in person in my city’s tabletop game club. I’ve played with dozens of different people, many DMs, I myself have DM’d many oneshots and a couple of short campaigns, and our memeplex has been completely different from the twittersphere’s D&D memeplex.

Aw, but dragonborn are cool! They do exist in my world, though their culture differs from the PHB default.

That’s because 4e turned tieflings into offbrand draenei.

As a lesbian I’m completely bewildered by this meme and I’ve never played with people who include it in actual play.

Also homophobia doesn’t exist in Faerun anyway, so your quirky OC with sidecombed garish purple hair just feels out of place with no relevant cultural background any more than it makes sense to throw a pride party on the Argent Dawn version of Azeroth.

These people don’t speak for me and I don’t want to draw parallels between my orientation and being literal fiend spawn.

I have a soft spot for Adventurers League because that was how I was introduced to the game, and it’s how I introduce new players to it too, but it’s basically hostile to any kind of meaningful character-driven storylines because the modules are written in a “headcanon your own reason why your character is here” way.

But creating an original storyline is so much work, especially when the system basically asks you to write most of the mechanics yourself. Published campaigns seem like a good middle ground. I have fond memories of our year-long Storm King’s Thunder campaign.

1 Like

Its convenient to the narrative they want to see really (also Half-Orcs tend to be more othered than any other race and even then only barely, theres actually barely any othering in faerun and tieflings are just seen as normal people and often time the heroes of the setting so uh. . .)

I just wrapped up a Dragon of Icespire Peak game that started in the beginning of February 2023, now moving onto a fully homebrewed world (this might be a terrible decision for a 2nd time DMing but we’ll see) and honestly DoIP was fine imo, a bit shallow but its a 1-6 tutorial adventure so I can’t fault it for that.

Speaking about D&D, and by extension WotC - despite making statements being all “no we’re not gonna do AI” after they were caught out using it in Bigby’s book.

https://x.com/MarcoMA4PS/status/1743593367336833415?s=20

it’s being used in MtG promo stuff.

they’re usually not fiend spawn

I was about to write an analogy about being half-human half-dog for the instincts and mild weirdness for both peoples that can result and then I remembered furries and got distracted

did you not play baldur’s gate 3 or

That’s its own can of worms with the long history of unfortunate implications and parallels to racial anxieties that’d make Lovecraft cringe. Gamers are weird, man.

Excluding one but not the other is sure to raise questions. I don’t agree with the twitter mob but I see why they might be frothing mad in want of details.