Pet Project: Theism in Warcraft

Hello there, forums.

It’s been bugging me for a little while that, to me, in the Warcraft Universe, there’s a distinct lack of dedicated, theistic religion - sorry Trolls, you’re exempt from this. My druid follows Ashamane above even Elune, but the Wowpedia page for the Ashen is an entire two short sentences in length.

Thus, I am considering starting something of a pet project - one that I hope will prove interesting to others. Blizzard have established the primary religious and spiritual organisations of the setting - the Church of the Holy Light, the various sects dedicated to the Loa, and on the list goes. What I’m planning to do is make a small compendium of possible deities and figures for characters to follow on a smaller or more personal scale.

Disclaimer: As this is intended to have a lot of emphasis on individual characters and their practices, I can’t promise that it will strictly adhere to the written lore. I won’t add anything that disregards it, but this is something of a ‘headcanon’ project.

I’m going to be starting fairly small on this and adding more to the thread as it comes to me (and hopefully as people contribute their own thoughts!).

Some initial examples that have interested me:

The Wild Gods

Ashamane

For those who revere her and seek to pay her homage, Ashamane, the great Panther Ancient, has several key traits and lessons that can be taken from the stories of her life:

She was a peerless huntress; no predator, animal or otherwise, could challenge her and no prey could elude her.
She was possessed of great resolve; in her battle with Ronokon, and despite her exhaustion, she was able to sacrifice her own life to slay him and save Suramar from his army.
She was a fierce individualist; she hunted and lived alone. Any challenges she faced she did so alone - even Freya rarely saw her.

Thus, the followers of the Great Panther must strive to echo these traits; they must walk her path and endeavour to meet their own fate with the same resolve. Ashamane represents the apex predator of Azeroth’s ancient world, the pinnacle that all hunters must aspire to reach.

The site of the greatest importance to these Ashen is the place of her violent death in battle; Ashamane’s Fall, where her fangs were once held - before being taken for use in the war against the Legion.

Goldrinn

It is said that Goldrinn, known to the Tauren as Lo’Gosh, was among the first to Azeroth’s great wilderness; a wolf of surpassing strength and power, born of a noble heart and of savage bloodlust. His is a story of defiance, against Elune and against his own violent impulses - two foes he could never defeat. From him were born the Druids of the Pack and, eventually, the primal worgen.

Azeroth’s myriad races whose civilisations reach back to the War of the Ancients, tell of Goldrinn’s iron will and aggression as he defied the Legion’s armies. Though the legends vary, one truth is shared - he died in battle, but his unconquerable spirit lived on. His presence was felt even on Draenor, driving the instincts of the Orcish clans.

Forever after, to those who walk his path, the Wolf Ancient exemplifies passion and nobility. From fury comes the strength to defend those in need, but it must always be tempered. To lose oneself in anger and its adrenaline is to sacrifice one’s heart and honour. There must always be a balance; the vicious worgen in their feral state stand as a testament to the risks one must face when serving the most untamed of the Wild Gods.

The Dragon Aspects

Malygos

Although the Aspect of Magic was slain by the heroes of Dalaran at the conclusion of the Nexus War, that does not mean his noble cause died with him. The Spellweaver was right; the mortal mages of Azeroth cannot be trusted to wield the Arcane. They are reckless and dangerous, corrupting the world around them with their vain pursuit of power. Groups such as the Kirin Tor and the Highborne are enemies of the sanctity of the world and must be stamped out - alongside any others who would misuse magic.

Although at first glance, it could be assumed that no mage could side with this ideology, the Mage Hunters employed during the Nexus War were originally members of the Kirin Tor and agreed with Malygos’ noble goal. Any other mortal of Azeroth who has seen what destruction the uncontrolled use of magic can cause might find themselves sworn in service to this unfinished war.

Malygos himself continues to represent this battle, his beliefs and conviction passed down to those who carry his torch. He was unjustly murdered, and to win a final victory in the Nexus War in his name is the truest way to pay homage. On a smaller scale, working against the various magocratic organisations of the world is an admirable endeavour.

The Pantheon

Aggramar

Although the true nature of the Titans has only begun to be unravelled in recent years, those who know of the ancient architects of Azeroth’s civilisation know of their mighty Champion of the Pantheon: Aggramar the Avenger. Once Sargeras’ chief lieutenant, he took the Dark Titan’s place after his departure from their vaunted ranks.

For eons he fought to destroy and imprison the vile demons of the Twisting Nether and, eventually, succeeded alongside Sargeras. His massive, flaming sword Taeshalach was the searing bane of his foes; no demon could escape his burning retribution. He faced the darkness and evil of the universe but never wavered or fell - in this, he is greater even than his former leader.

Although the common denizens of Azeroth’s societies know little of the Pantheon - let alone Aggramar - and their true nature, for those who have come to learn of his story, Aggramar may yet prove a symbol of inspiration and courage; an example of rigid determination to scour all wickedness that exists.

Perhaps even their faith in the righteousness of Aggramar’s own burning crusade may yet give them access to their own inner flame; the holy fire of the Light. To follow Aggramar is to bring light to the shadows that infest the world; it is to take his lead and destroy the demons of the Nether, wherever they might be found.

Norgannon

For the many curious and enlightened souls of Azeroth, the pursuit of knowledge is the noblest cause of all. To unravel the secrets of the universe is a quest that may take one’s whole life and beyond, but it is perhaps as much about the journey as it is the destination. With a greater understanding of the Pantheon and the Titanic creators of the world’s civilisation, comes an awareness of the finest scholar in existence: Norgannon the Dreamweaver.

Archaeologists and intellectuals; wizards and philosophers. Any who aspire to learn all that they can about everything there is may find themselves honouring the Titan of Lore and Magic. Even engineers and scientists may uphold him as the pinnacle of his profession, for the Titan’s understanding of mechanics is unparalleled; Mimiron himself was infused with a fraction of his incomprehensible mind.

There is both wonder and duty in his path. The passion to covet knowledge, magic or otherwise, but also the wisdom to know how to use it. Norgannon’s servants and followers strive to understand this lesson well, as they do all things.

The Holy Light

Tyr

For humanity - and particularly for the Church of the Holy Light - Tyr is a name spoken in measures of awe and reverence. While the true origins of his life were for many years lost to the ages, the oral tradition of mankind has ensured that his importance has not died with him. The Silver Hand, Tirisfal Glades, and Tyr’s Hand are named in his honour.

Those who have remained abreast of the various discoveries and uncovered mysteries of recent years may know of the truth - Tyr was one of the Titanic Watchers, charged with courage and valour by Aggramar himself. His story is defined by two great sacrifices; first his hand from his battle with a terrible and unspoken monster, and finally his very life against two of Loken’s C’Thraxxi.

However, for those men and women who pay homage to him, Tyr is still shrouded by myth and the millennia that have passed since he walked Azeroth. He is an example of courage and order, showing those compelled by devotion and conviction that true justice may only come through sacrifice.

Tyr was the steward of early humanity, an exemplar of everything mankind aspires to. To serve him is to serve the Light’s justice.

Further examples may include, but are not limited to, the Wild Gods, the Loa, the Pantheon, the Dragon Aspects, the Titan Watchers, and more.

So - what do you guys think? Good idea, or largely pointless/not of much use?

Would it better if I was more succinct in writing these? Am I not writing enough?

Does your own character already follow a faith, creed, or ideology that isn’t necessarily heavily-represented (or represented at all!) in your own roleplay?

Perhaps they have their own interpretation of how to honour Goldrinn, or Tyr, or whatever figure they swear themselves to. This isn’t necessarily about religious faith and devotion; it could just as easily involve seeking to replicate an awe-inspiring example set.

I’d be 100% interested in adding other people’s takes to this little list of mine, to make it something more of a collaboration than simply my own crazy, rambled typing.

If nothing else, I’d be interested to see any discussion about it. :eyes:

26 Likes

Don’t see why not. I’d like to se more such stuff represented in RP as I think it’s a great idea. WoW has such a wide myriad of interesting cultures and religions which are rarely if ever focused upon in RP, which is a shame.

1 Like

Anything that is killable are not really a God/Godess
At the moment, Azeroth and the Warcreft universe is a bit lack of gods (Elune is a special case, from renegate Old God to primodial Naaru to a fabeled Ligth Lord/Lady ala Void Lord she could be anything incloding a he)
Except the… Old Gods
Well they have it in their name… but not really divine in nature. Lovecraftian Aliens/Entities outside such trivial things like moral, time, life or death… they are practically Gods
Heck, even the Titans aren’t immortal… and Aman’thul ripped Y’Shaarj in to pieces, yet after a some eons (and with strange aeons even death may die…) there are hints he is baaaaaaack (hinted with the Wriggling Mass -quest)
Sooo…
Worshiping something that a bunch of murderhobo could (and for some pocket change gladly would) kill… is… a bit silly
But I do love the idea… and Damien considers Goldrinn the Worgen race’s patron ‘God’ (untill find something better than the Ghost Wolf, that is - so far he not really done anything for the Worgens ^^’)

Still Damien, don’t forget that these powerful beings, although killable, are also viewed as gods by most mortals. It is highly possible that due to personal beliefs most ordinary people would believe in their eternal nature and worship them because of this and the power they possess. Especially as many of those beings can actually come back to life after a while, even if they are killed. Like the loa and the wild gods for example.

2 Likes

Adopt the crypto semi-canon lore of the Light being a God.

Not necessarily. It all depends on definitions. The germanic/norse gods were still mortal beings subject to injury and death, sustained by Idunn’s golden apples.

Something so intrinsically tied to the fundamentals of the universe and its metaphysics as the Old Gods and Elemental Lords are functionally gods of their respective spheres of influence and the titans shaped worlds beyond the imagination of lesser creatures despite falling to internecine conflict.

Even then, all pretentions of divinity, valid or not (Elune?!) stand and fall as challenged, worship not universal and the superiority of godlike power alone does not automatically warrant nor deserve worship. The being’s state is independent of its followers, Elune being Elune even if all her mortal followers perish and her faith is forgotten.

Gods are defined as such by their worshipers, earning mere ascended animals and spirits of Azeroth the title of gods. Worshiping titans grants them the title as with Sargeras, the dark titan god of the Legion. At that point, the god’s existence isn’t up for questioning but the divinity and title of godhood can certainly be challenged.

The requirements of godhood being an eternal being of unlimited scope and influence has more to do with specific contentions of theology within certain faiths than it does the practical worship and definitions throughout history and the context of other mythologies in particular.

10 Likes

I really love the idea of branching out on personal beliefs and ways to practice their faith for these dieties and might I call them patrons. Even if the lore does not specifically flesh out a lot of ‘canon’ things, it is always alright to have your own personal way to do something because not everyone has to adhere to the ‘strictly’ canonical or common way to practice a certain belief.

I think to me it would be interesting to explore the Goldrinn worship a bit.

1 Like

Goldrinn was already high on my list to add, but I imagine his precepts would involve fury and passion lending strength to those who choose to wield it. He was known for his unyielding ferocity and bloodlust.

At its best, those who follow the lessons imparted by Goldrinn would strive to use their fury for the good of others and to defeat their enemies - like Varian, they would overcome their urge to commit senseless violence. Conversely, at its worst it involves giving yourself to those feral impulses - like Ralaar Fangfire/Alpha Prime and his Druids of the Pack.

Given the nature of wolf packs, there can probably be a case made for cooperation too. Something something the lone wolf dies something something the pack survives.

Yeah, that’s my thinking. There’s so much potential for personal interpretation of the Powers That Be in Azeroth, but we’re given very little to work with at times.

1 Like

Still worshipping god, eh?

Last I heard he started worshipping me!

Woof!

2 Likes

A lot of real life religions, including some of the daddies/mommies on the block would disagree. Including one of the big ones, you know the one, fella on a cross. He was an Avatar of a God, as in the Physical manifestation of a God, same as N’zoth is. Gods can die, they have done since the dawn of human belief.

Bear in mind, that whilst we all like to think of ourselves as murderhobo’s that is not our role in the setting (As in the player character, not what we RP our characters as) We’re not just the person who collected ten bears bums, we are Hercules, we are Lugh Samilidanach, we are Barbarossa, Siegfried and Ulysses/Odysseus, We are Bran the Blessed, Achilles, Huitzilopochtli and Hanuman.
We are -exactly- the sort of mortal heroes that kill Gods. That is our role in this setting. We are the world’s hero.

That’s our avatar, our actual character we play, is none of those things, hopefully.

I always find that one hilarious, people running around pretending to be all Templar about it “Lux Vult” “No it doesn’t” “Heretic!” “How can I be a damned Heretic, do you even know the words you are spouting? I -can’t- be a Heretic, unless I share your belief, but differ in a certain way, if I don’t share your belief, by definition I can’t be a heretic! Eeesh, learn how to religion, religious types”
People who equate the Light, to ‘god’ are hilarious. As my Gnome would say “It’s a frickin’ source of power, it doesn’t -care- if you are naughty or nice, Sure I believe in it, the same way I believe in Gravity, or cats, or tables, Those are all going to be there whether I believe or not. If I stopped believing in tables, I’d still have something to put a tankard down on.”

2 Likes

No, he was the son of god and a mortal woman, thus a Demigod.

I despise religion and even I know this.

Catholic dogma would argue otherwise…

I’m sure christianity as a whole might, considering that Jesus Christ gave zero bum-bums about christians, since y’know, he was a jew.

Very true, and an interesting starting point for a religion, few others have went “Yeah, the figurehead of our religion wasn’t actually of this religion” It seems to be an Abrahamic thing, Christianity came from Judaism, Islam came from Christianity and suchlike. Bizarre fact, Jesus is mentioned in the Qu’ran more times than Mohammed,

Although I fear we digress…

I’m more of a Bran the Broken personally.

Anyway, I’ll be reading up on any replies today and maybe/probably writing up a few more examples that interest me.

Once I’ve written enough I’ll start to organise them into sections.

I see what you did there…

I meant Bran the Blessed, who was a giant amongst men, and fought against the perfidious Irish, defeating Evynissien and shattering his Cauldron asunder, with his death, Evynissien had Bran poisoned as his troops bore him back to England, and at his order, severed his head, and buried it at White Hill, where Ravens for evermore kept their watch, in later years the Romans came, and set a great capital on that place, Londinium, but the legend of the Ravens keeping watch over Bran’s resting place endures to this day.

Lux Vult is absolutely ridiculous.

Luna Vult, on the other hand… . . . … .

A certain persona that I wholeheartedly believe would have some worship surrounding her is Calia Menethil, perhaps as a very much prophet-type figure.

After all, in Before the Storm she gives blessings and even cures Ol’ Emma, while also proceeding to come back from the dead due to the Light as an undead despite the best efforts of Sylvanas.

A number of parallels can be drawn to real life from supposedly giving out blessings and curing to rising from your own grave. Hope that provides a bit of food for thought. :slight_smile:

She does have weird undead eyes, though.

I’ll put her on the list!