Player returning after long break

So I need somewhere to start. I haven’t played the game since Cata. I have re rolled my character and I am looking for a starting point to getting back into Raiding. I have a’lot of experience raiding in TBC, WOTLK & Cata.

I know I can start doing dungeons etc, whats the best/quickest way to rack up gear these days to get ready for raids?

Are their any specific achievements needed?

Any help is appreicated.

TIA.

Welcome back!

I laid out the basic roadmap for a fresh 120 in this post:

BfA is dfferent from the expansions you knew in that, instead of being purely about gear from dungeons and raids, you also have to deal with a bunch of bureaucratic systems at the start. I’ve noted the main stages of those in that post.

In your case, as an OG raider, you might - or might not - be especially interested in the Mythic-Plus dungeon system, with which you can work your way up to very high gear very fast if you have the skills and/or friends.

You can find more specific info about the routes and affixes for each of the M+ dungeons on YouTube (search for name of dungeon) and Raider.io which is the site that keeps track of everybody’s score.

This is a more general guide to gearing up:

Having said all that, the actual “best/quickest way to rack up gear these days” is to whip out your credit card, buy Tokens, sell them on the AH, get a bunch of gold from that, and use it to buy high-level BoE gear and/or boosts.

But even so, you still have to go through the check-list of things I noted in the original post.

Rough ideas of progress:

1. All raids but the current one (Ny’alotha) are now obsolete.
  2. Item level dropped by raids is 445 (Normal), 460 (Heroic), 475 (Mythic)
  3. Everybosy expects you to be overgeared in PuGs … so no change there :stuck_out_tongue:

Please ask again if you have any more questions or followups!

2 Likes

That is perfect thank you :slight_smile: I’ve done a few dungeons today and already greatly improved my item level plus doing some of the quests to be able to Fly in the BFA Regions. Already hit item level 332 in just a few hours to next to do a few more normal dungeons so I can move forward into the Heroics.

1 Like

Don’t neglect world quests!

From your armoury, which may not be up to date since you’re moving so fast, you just need some quests in Nazmir (Talanji’s Expedition) to get Friendly there.

You MUST do World Quests for many things you need, like more rep, levelling your Heart. and opening Nazjatar to move toward Essences. As I said, gear alone doesn’t do it this expac. (Also, WQs will give you vety quick and useful gear up to 415.)

When you are Friendly with Talanji’s, the quest to open them will be waiting on the Ship.

Wheres the best place to pickup the World Quests? or are they random each day etc?

From the post I linked

Once you have your Talanji rep to Friendly, get the Uniting quest at the ship. Assuming you have also done your three footholds (and maybe your Island tutorial - I’m not surre that’s still needed) you get your Flight Master’s Whistle. The World Quests will then appear on your map when you open it. See

for an example.

Oh, and by the way, the main sites you need to know for basic info are:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons for addons

https://www.wowhead.com/ for quests and items

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/frost-mage-pve-dps-guide for the basics of your spec - in your case Frost Mage

1 Like

Ah must of misread that bit haha! my bad. Yeah used to use those 3 before so am doing so currently, they have been a huge help since the game has changed so much.

1 Like

Welcome back, Eckiemage!

Good to have you back with us! Gráinne’s given you some great resources to help you get up to speed, things have changed a lot but we hope you’re enjoying your return to Azeroth!

Yours,

Arythwinn

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.