Playing battlegrounds as a casual

I think PvP should have arcade-y modes where you can just jump in, everybody is equal and you just do PvP based on skill based matchmaking. That’s how other MMO’s do it and they have a far more casual PvP population and it isn’t as damn toxic either.

Then keep the rated bullcrap for the people who really want to be competitive and try-hard all the achievements and ratings etc.

I could also start on how annoying pre-mades are in random battlegrounds and how much I hate it. But you’ll never fix that, because obviously this is an MMO and you’ll wanna play with friends / guildies. Annoying regardless, when you’re with randoms, facing an organized, voice-chat guided zerg.

Right now? I’m getting facerolled by MM hunters shooting me from ranges I cannot even reach and they do a ton of damage because of their gear. It’s absolutely nonsense. I can name other examples, but a lot of classes seem extra broken after Season 4 and they didn’t even do a lot of class tuning. I think it’s purely because of the extra gear and ilvl people get, pushing that stat gap we had before even further out.

I don’t think Blizzard know what they are doing with this. All I can hope for is that they are half-assing this to make Dragonflight better.

1 Like

even if u had the gear random bgs are plagued with fully geared premades so you get streamrolled anyway

4 Likes

I remember in Legion when my Pally hit level cap, I instantly went into battlegrounds, I was running around in greens and blues but still having an actual impact on the match, instead of being a burden.

A blessing for casuals. A curse for veterans. Obviously, a casual with scaled gear will not suddenly play better. They will just survive and annoy you longer. And it makes 2v1s, 3vs1s etc. almost impossible. I like the current gearing system and I think it is fair in regards to time spent and reward.

One of the problems is that new or casual players expect too much from honor gear and don’t know how to farm it effectively. And they expect to get away with not doing rated PvP at all. This is not how WoW PvP has worked for almost two decades. The Legion system was an outliner and ultimately not well-received. PvP is and should be a competitive environment. A fully scaled gearing system will make casuals happy, but put off veterans (loyal long-term players, mid- and high-rated players, content creators and streamers etc.).

So your reason for not having more balanced unrated PvP… is because you like kerbstomping inexperienced and low-geared players, whilst you’re in full rated gear.

The Legion system was flawed but if you actually read what I wrote: -

Effectively a Legion-lite system.

Under such a system, rated arenas, rated BGs and open world content would still have you kerbstomping lowbies, while BGs, brawls and solo shuffle - where the casuals live, would be scaled to promote a better environment.

Most fresh 60s and casual players wouldn’t be caught dead in rated PvP, especially without obtaining a few pieces of honor gear from unrated PvP first.

So your reason for not having more balanced unrated PvP… is because you like kerbstomping inexperienced and low-geared players, whilst you’re in full rated gear.

Yes and no. I don’t like scaling, because it just makes killing new/inexperienced/bad players a drag and takes aways unique pvp experiences (1vX etc.).

Obviously, I like stomping other players through a mix of skill and superior gear (which I earned btw). I think that’s one of the aspects of WoW PvP which make it engaging for invested players. But that going away is not my main concern.

Under such a system, rated arenas, rated BGs and open world content would still have you kerbstomping lowbies, while BGs, brawls and solo shuffle - where the casuals live, would be scaled to promote a better environment.

Why would I want to stomp players in rated PvP though? If anything, it should be the other way around. Rated should be more about skill and casual PvP should be more about gear (which also requires some skill to get ofc).

the first 2 weeks of this season were the most fun in bgs for a long time. most people got max honor gear and you couldnt tell at the start who will auto win. now every week passing will be more and more unfun back to the large gear gaps so you dont need to play anymore to see who will win.

even though you still get one shot, still better than with the ilvl gap

3 Likes

Can’t scale, if they scale again like in Legion, we’ll get complains that people cannot sell Boosts or do Boosting communities.

It’ll be fair for sure, but players are like the Ferengi in Star Trek

They don’t want fairness
They want to be the exploiters.

And like Ferengi in Star Trek they deserve to get bullied.

They could maybe use templates for when ur below a certain ilvl, and they could increase that every new season, u will still be weaker ofc, but not in a way that if someone sneezes on you, you’d die.

This whole Topic is usually onesided

If you join a Bg or an M+ with a freshly dinged toon you will have a bad experience.

You can get some gear and both your leggos just from doing the ZM questline and then start doing the PVP quests, like the ZM one where you can loot chests and get 500 honor, then do some bg`s it s still low gear but not as bad as doing something with a freshly dinged 35khp.

People will full 1800+ rated gear make up full team in bgs, usually.

atleast do as much as you can before jumping in.

How is it a curse for veterans. I’m a veteran and I never felt it a curse when half of my team isn’t running around being oneshots.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.