Please give clarity on the clone service

Hi,

Turning off character clones in july, while people were hyped for wotlk, in the vacation and with very little notice, was a weird move.

Me and my friend group missed it, and would like to come back after being done with wotlk, on our characters we invested SO much time in back in classic, time we had cause of covid. We were gutted to find out we cant, we genuinely all remembered the deal being, choose a free clone now and pay if you want the other later.

Way more people will be in the same situation the coming months and especially when wotlk wraps up. That will be the all time high demand for the clone service. Theres money to be made, subs to be saved, and valued customers to be made happy.

If its a business matter, please bring back the service. In our case its 5 people gladly paying 100€+ each for the clone and we will keep paying subs.

But if it really is a matter of it CANT be done, please put this all to bed by making a clear post saying there is a 0% chance of it ever happening (not very very unlikely).

11 Likes

These are Blizzard words:

“If you haven’t made a choice for any of your character since the last time you logged in to either WoW Classic or Burning Crusade Classic, those characters will be moved to Burning Crusade Classic. The Classic Era version of the character will be permanently deleted and unavailable for cloning.”

You can easily find this with a quick Google search.

Still, if you decide to start over in Era it is a great time for it, with a TON of levelers.

I know is not much of a thing to say, just my 2 cents mate.

3 Likes

Don’t forget that World of Warcraft is constantly evolving, you want a snapshot that is now almost 2 years old. I think it’s time everyone just moves on.
If you like Vanilla, just make a new character. Vanilla realms are not going anywhere, you’ve got plenty of time for leveling.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Its still hard to believe that this data wasnt backed up. I work at a small tech company and even things that will never be used are backed up, storage is basically free nowadays.

So a message from blizzard saying that someone has really perma deleted this data will slowly take me from denial to grief to acceptance :wink:

I can get some people have minor issues with others wanting to “invade” with clones. Thing is, for you its a minor thing you could get over, for us its a soul shattering realization of losing something dear to us we invested 100s of days played time in.

And if people want to rub in the fact they made the better choice; yes you did, i really am happy for yall.

3 Likes

The whole clone thing should have never happened imo.

All chars should have been made a copy for both, Vanilla and TBC.

The amount of fiascos this has caused over time has not been worth it.

5 Likes

It sucks, yes, but just start anew over here in Era. I did, and I’m having a lot of fun, leveling a couple of character simultaneously. One Horde, one Alliance.

4 Likes

I missed the window a well and don’t have the time i had in 2019 to level. It is fun but tedious. So no era for me. The fact my druid 60 is lost forever basically make me think it’s not worth the risk to spend hundred of hours again.

Shame they did not back up data.

1 Like

But Era is permanent mate, this is a BIG difference compared to any other WoW version.

In case you decide to give it a go, there are a TON of levelers right now.

And there is always demand for good druids!

Got exact same thoughts sadly. Lost 8 characters like it was a shady private server. I really love era and vanilla is the reason i was subed for years but i can’t take the risk of losing everything again. Unfortunately that incident created trust issues to me and many other people towards the company.
Even if i find the time to do everything from scratch i will still be stressed about it. Not to mention that the feeling of playing a role is diminished when you are forced to change your character and losing everything from it’s backstory.

1 Like

If you love it that much why didn’t you log in once during TBC to move your characters across to Era? You didn’t need to play TBC, just choose Era. Blizzard would have even given you a few free days to do it in.

1 Like

Life events both happy and sad (military service, wedding, chemotherapies). But my case is not important nor objective. I just expressed my thoughts and concerns as i have the right to do in these forums while i pay a sub to support my favorite gaming company.

Nontheless it seems to be a popular topic anyway so it feels right to be discussed.

1 Like

You couldn’t find few minutes to log in during the duration of TBC. This is not Gold edition of a single player game, it’s constantly evolving.

Would be able to find few minutes for sure if it was communicated better (like receiving an email like everytime i am informed that a new store mount is released etc)

No one here that lost the clone service claimed that did everything perfect. But it’s a matter of fact that communication wise was poorly handled.

If it was handled properly you wouldn’t get so many threads of players asking for the clone service.

But whatever the case is, this is a forum to discuss such things. If any topic is innapropriate to discuss it will be flagged and removed. As long as it isn’t against any rules it will keep being discussed as it seems it bothers a lot of blizzard customers.

2 Likes

Heres clarity: Cloning worked fine. I cloned my character with no problem while the service was available.

Hahaha.

2 Likes

i think it will happen you open the topic 5 days ago and there is no blue post yet. if it was certain they would sad with a blue post it will not happen. i hope they will made the backup and they will bring it…

1 Like

I asked in a ticket and got an answer.

1 Like

why dont they put that here to noone looking forums anymore?

1 Like

I think because they don’t come to the EU forums to do anything except ban people or Post “open a ticket” in CS, so they wouldn’t see the posts.

But 2019 Classic was supposed to be a permanent 60 museum as well. Not a “auto upgrade to wotlk / tbc server”. I did level in tbc as there was a snapshot. Quit before hitting 70 but dis not use the cloning service (which should have been free imo). TBC classic was a trap.
When the official deadline for cloning came i was unsubbed or i completely missed it if the deadline was public when the server did upgrade to TBC. So i missed out.

My point is: never think even Era toons will be there forever. I hope for you they will.

As for testing Era: For now i have ny eyes on D4 but might check out Era later on. I will have to check the meta though. Because playing feral kittybear that i love at 60 classic was challenging because of fury warriors class statcking back at late AQ40 and Naxx phases.

1 Like

I would like the characters i made in 2004. Why can’t I get the characters i played back in the days? Blizzard sucks, this is so unfair.

2 Likes