Poor DKs, rework?

Death knight is probably my fave class but I haven’t mained since mop and wod.

I’d come back in a heartbeat but I feel both frost and unholy need a ground up rework.

Unholy should be more like demo locks and have tons of pets or have customisable pets. There’s way too much bloat and set up and diseased and strikes feel weak. Too many cooldowns!

Frost is too simple, boring and that breath move needs to go, has anyone enjoyed that?

With dks mobility they should be the hardest class to kill and Lethal in short range.

What would you like to see?

Main thing for me is pick what type of ghoul you have, more rune choices with competitive choices. Let’s us go banshee lol

6 Likes

All 3 specs feel kinda lackluster. BDK is at least somewhat viable and halfway fun to play. but all in all the class as a whole needs a complete rework from the ground up

3 Likes

Before even going into spec specific issues, I think the baseline of the 2 resource system (runic power and runes) feels clunky and outdated. Blood, UH and even frost (depending on build) are heavily reliant on having a lot of haste, and feel awful without it. This shouldn’t be the case.

Now as for spec specific, I’ll focus a bit more on UH as I’ve mained that for the last 3 expansions… Like you said, it feels so bloated. You know when something is over engineered but for no good reason? Sure everything is great if you align everything in perfect order, but if you do one mistake on the rotation we very quickly fall down the meters. Not very satisfying to play. All of our own attacks feel weak and aren’t satisfying to press, paired with poor and outdated animations, they just feel like filler until army, ghoul etc have all lined up again.

I would like to see a better use of the wounds system. Right now it’s build 4 of them for apocalypse, then just make sure there’s 1 or 2 always up so you can pop and don’t over cap. Ok they’ve added festermight which is quite a frustrating minigame on its own. I would like to see more gameplay around wounds, as right now they’re more of a resource or currency.

Maybe they also apply stacking dot? This way we get to plan around them more. Let’s say a boss or a pack of mobs have some sort of mechanics that require us to stay in range for a while. I’d look to build those up to max to get the most out of the dot whilst unable to melee. Maybe they pair with other diseases in some different way, causing even more damage once the synergy is correct. Generally, a build that relies more on diseases and dots in a fun interactive way not “press outbreak, apply 3 diseases and ignore until expires”.

The minion side, yeah sure it could be better as well, besides the well needed visual update. It’s a bit better with the dragonflight talent revamp but still frustrating. Too many CDs to press and ultimately things never line up nicely with army so we always end up having this bizarre lag before second army. ERW doesn’t fit the CD cycle neither. As a start, this CD thing needs to get ironed once and for all, so we can get better cycles. And please remove some of them from GCD (looking at you DT and apoc)… In terms of how it feels though that’s a different question. Summoning a horde of zombies should feel more chaotic… Would love to see some sort aoe side to having loads of zombies besides the DT cleave… Like imagine attacking a pack of mobs and your zombies slam and slash into everyone like the feral rabid pack of monsters they’re meant to be… It’s a bit too orderly right now.

Frost… Absolutely boring… Rework the whole thing from the ground up. Such an odd spec, should feel so awesome and strong yet it’s one of the most disappointing aspects of this class.

Blood… A bit odd, defo better this patch but still lacks something that other tanks do better. I would describe blood as “hey you’re nearly invincible but you otherwise kind of suck.” :rofl:

1 Like

I get so hyped watching old arthas cinematics and looking at dk artwork then i log into play and im like nah this just sucks.

The whole breath thing needs to go, i want to pull up chunks of ice fire it at people and impale them, remorseless winter should function like darkness.

I want to fell like an icy Juggernaut.

I think at this stage id even settle for turning unholy into a rangee necromancer and make frost melee.

Id rather see us turn back to the original vision though, tank and dps in every spec. Blood dps would be amazing.

1 Like

I am tired of Death Coil spamming play style…

2 Likes

death coils spamming is good it needs buffs and festering also

1 Like

I would rather enjoy massive melee hitting abillities than spamming outdated cringe Death Coil. Or a new strike which applies a new DoT.

1 Like

What if they changed out mastery to make dots tick faster and harder the closer they get to us? It would have to be Leathal though. The dots barely break absorbs just now.

3 Likes

death coil is only cringe because of the nerfs

Personaly didn’t enjoy pressing Death Coil since visual rework.

Yeah it would be interesting to have a more disease and dot based play style.

When on earth did that happen? Legion?

I almost forget that CS also has an animation too but it’s pretty lame. All dk abilities really lack in terms of animation impact. Obliterate at least looks cool as an animation. Non of our buttons feel good to press. Soulreaper is the worst one, it has this swooshy sound does nearly nothing, then 5 seconds later you get a small boom effect, that’s it.

Apoc is really good to press for sure, the rest are almost like paladins crusader strike. Nothing goes boom! That’s fine as the damage comes from our pets, and our dots I suppose. My only gripe is death and decay/defile being GCD/a death sentence at times.

Frost and unholy need a ret tier rework at least if not more, everything feels outdated from animations to gameplay. I only do pvp as unholy and having to setup my damage by pressing 4-5 differents buttons is not enjoyable + the wound bursting mechanic is miserable for what it does… There is so much more potential to the class but since its doing well in pve no one bats an eye

4 Likes

For sure. I just played a few games of solo shuffle as Unholy and it is impossible to win more than 3 rounds even though I had experienced in a 2200 rating in BFA expansion. Feels terrible if you play against two physical damage dealers. We are at the bottom of played specs with Outlaw Rogue in PvP. Just any melee than Death Knight feels better to play. Even wheel chair Retribution Paladin is better right now.

1 Like

I like pressing apoc but it doesn’t feel like it hits hard.

I think the wound system just sucks. There’s some interesting set ups in the unholy tree but seems out of place in modern wow. Back in the day it would’ve been fine.

I’d like to see more ghoul options, maybe even a lich.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.