Pre-Patch created dead keys that close the game on Mac, e.g. ^ and ´ with German keyboard settings

Hello guys,

in the WW Beta my game crashed on Mac after pressing ^. I hoped that this will not occur in retail but now that the Pre-patch has launched it sadly still does.

I’ve tried everything: re-installing the game, scan and repair, tried to change the key binds (which did not work because the game crashes at any instance when I press ^, even in the key bind settings).

Now I really hope that someone here has a solution to this problem, as I did not get any when I reported this issue in the Beta.

Thank you!

EDIT/ TLDR:

It seems like the game closes because of keyboard settings that are not US English creating dead keys (like ^, cmd + Q, and ´ on a German keyboard). The key bind setting is not the issue here, as the buttons close the game at any stage (e.g. during the loading screen).

The suggested solution is to change the language of the keyboard and thus the position of your keys to US English, stopping the game . While this fixes the game closing issue it also prevents you from easily writing letters like ö, ä, ü, and é, and thus making communication that is not in English harder, if not impossible.

14 Likes

I have the same exact problem. I have my autorun on this button, which makes this extremely annoying. Repairing the game did nothing for me either!

3 Likes

Other system keybinds like CMD+Q (equivalent to Alt+F4) come through as well, even with the option activated to disable them.

Same for me when I press the " ´ " key.
Very annoying.

2 Likes

I have this problem too, game exits when pressing the ¨ key. At first I thought it was shift¨ (to make ^) but the game crashes whether I press shift or not.

ETA I tried binding the key to something hoping that could get around the issue, but the game exits/crashes even when in keybinding mode, so that didn’t work.

I just changed the keyboard from German to English and it did not crash. Could the crashes be happening because of this?

My keyboard is already in English, but it doesn’t mean it couldn’t be a language issue.

Since patch I instantly quit the game if I hit ` key on my Mac. Very annoying as I have a specific trinket keybound to it and it’s crucial for my game. I do not get any error messages at all - game just close down instantly.

3 Likes

Me too! Its driving me crazy and I thought I was the only one with this problem.

It close my client pressing the same ` key as OP.

Since it also shares with [ on my keyboard layout (spanish) I cant even write macros or the game will close.

1 Like

same for me since the pre-patch update.
checking the “disable OS shortcuts” option does not help.

1 Like

Hey all,

I can confirm that this has been reported to our developers. While we don’t have more information than that at the moment, please do keep an eye on the hotfixes and patch notes of the News section of the main site. Thank you! :pray:

8 Likes

Yep, same problem here – same as other people, my working assumption is that it’s something to do with localised characters and symbols bound to that key on non-English keyboards. It works fine when bound with the = key on my British keyboard, but instantly crashes with the accent ´ key on my Swedish keyboard.

Thanks for the update from the Blizz side! :pray:

1 Like

Hello, since the prepatch v11.X when I press “`” button the game crash.
I am on Mac, Apple silicon CPU.

Best

1 Like

Since the patch today, my frequently used cmd+q key bind has started to close the game despite the “Disable OS keyboard shortcuts” option being enabled. So it’s just impossible to play.

1 Like

CMD + ^ (not Q) closes the game for me, it used to be the Stealth key combo for my Rogue.

Replying to my own post, the ^ key on mac seems to immediately quit wow (with or without simultaneously pressing the Command key)

1 Like

Cmd + q for me. Saw that support is on it, just sharing.

1 Like

Same here. Before todays patch, my game crashed when I pressed ˇkey, which is near ESC button and it was very annoying in some situations. BUT NOW the game also crashes when I press ’ button which I have had on keybind on all my characters since 2005 and this is extremely annoying, making my gameplay impossible. For example ’ is assigned for my hunters pet kill command. I use it all the time. Game is unplayable, because I have it on my fingers memory and I don’t want to participate in some weird psychological experiment of how irritated a person can get when constantly pressing a crash button.

I have complained about the ˇbutton for years, made tickets about it - nothing. Now they promise to fix the ’ button crash and i simply don’t believe it.

And yes, I do not use the US layout keyboard, i have a Nordic keyboard, language set to even smaller language, Estonian. I do not want to start using US layout, because it is totally strange and different for me.

Hey all,

So far, our developers haven’t been able to reproduce this issue.

Could you please make sure that you reset your keybindings in game please? You can do so by opening the menu > Options > Keybindings. You can also try to reset your interface completely:

If the issue persists after resetting your keybinds and your interface, please post any information that could be useful to reproduce this issue, such as:

• The language of your WoW client
  • The type / language of the keyboard that you use (QWERTY, AZERTY, etc.)
  • The type / language of the keyboard that you use in game (for example, if you have different languages set up, and swap between them)
  • The specific key on your keyboard that is closing the game

Maybe have the Devs use a Mac and a non-English keyboard and there you go issue replicated? Surely Blizzard must have such a set up for testing purposes?

2 Likes