Preparing new main for 8.3

Hi all after mainimg a holy priest for rated bgs and m+ I feel I have lived the holy priest experience. I am very happy with my holy priest and especially the greater heal in bgs and Arena.

For the 8.3 I was thinking to main a resto shaman for rated bgs and some mythic +. I am currently leveling my shamman and I love the class. What is not clear is what I would have to prepare before patch 8.3 to be more ready to have my new char as main. Focus on grinding heart of azeroth?Grinding new essences or just going for higher ilevel? I would assume that after 8.3 launches old gear will be obsolete so I do not think it will make much sense to keep pushing only just for higher ilevel. Also I do not have time to spread through all zones so perhaps doing specific dungeons raids will be needed. What will be your suggestion?

Thanks Alex

Get to 120 -> get a little gear -> Chill. Go outside.

5 Likes

Essences will probably last you quite a bit + most healer essences are just dailies/wqs for 10 minutes a day.
You’ll probably be able to gear and do your essences unless your playtime is very limited. Having gear already will make gearing in 8.3 a bit easier though

Resto seems to be pretty solid up to heroic for raids if you ever want to give it a try in 8.3

It’ll be easier in 8.3 but your goal in 8.3 will be to reach lvl75 and get your last essence slot. If you don’t mind try to complete a weekly conquest cap and a weekly mythic+ to get azerite and items from both chests.

Requirements will be nerfed by a whole level for 8.2 rep essences so try to reach revered and have some ressources to buy the rank 3 essences (cost was lowered too). Try to get a few rank 3 essences as 8.3 will only add …3 per role iirc ? One from the raid, one for rep and i don’t remember where the last one comes from.

+30 ilvl so anything past 415ilvl in 8.2 will be better than catchup gear in 8.3. It’ll also help to have a decent gear for the vision (pretty much required content in 8.3 and your main content for progression systems)

Mechagon trinket (with the laser active) seems to be extremely effective in the 8.3 raid but i have no idea if it’ll be needed for m+.

Mechagon rings will be available through m+ and seem to pretty much be BIS for some specs so you may want to give it a try in 8.3. Oh yeah and the mechagon essence seems to be pretty strong for DPS in the raid (90% of the mobs are aberrations) so one more reason to go there.

what about any titanium residuum points I might collect? Shall I purchase some armors or just betttter them for 8.3?
What will be blizzards plan for farming azerite levels for the neck for new players?

Your residuum is lost in every patch, so you can amass 100k, but you will start 8.3 with 0 nonetheless.

ok then I have to buy aggressively

I would strongly suggest it. ^^
May your rolls be as lucky as I was in Firelands yesterday.

2 Likes

any updates on how 8.3 people can farm for for hearth of azeroth? Getting that high looks very tough for a new starter.

They’ll be reset in 8.3 (you get 1 or 10s per TR iirc) so just use it if you need or keep it for pocket gold

You get a free lvl35 neck with the 8.2 essence questline and you should need about 40k azerite iirc to reach 70, which is the current cap in 8.2.5.

Every week Blizzard will reduce the azerite needed for all levels by 30% up to the minimum of 1k /lvl which means that if you take a break it’ll be easier to catch-up. (It also means that the efforts you put in azerite now will be meaningless in a month)

Edit : You can get these 40k azerite pretty quickly if you do :

• your weekly m+ chest (about 4~5k iirc)
  • a conquest cap quest and open the weekly chest (3.5k with no rating, increased pretty high if you take part into ranked PvP)
  • your island expedition weekly quest (azerite from the islands themselves + 5k weekly quest + tresure map)
  • WQ and daily emissary (Look out for world boss WQ, they usually reward you with 750 azerite + can drop azerite)

Lastly paragon boxes (10k rep after reaching exalted) give 3k rep too but it’s out of reach for new players.

1 Like

Pretty much everything but Essences and your neck level will reset in 8.3. Your neck gets set to level 35 when you do the Nazjatar introduction quest chain, and from there you can get to 60-65 pretty much just doing random stuff without even noticing. Maybe do the Island Expedition weekly if you feel up to it. So focus on Essences and try to get some 420-430 gear to get a good start in 8.3. But mostly Essences. Don’t go overboard on them tho - Rank 2 should be sufficient, especially since the ‘meta’ essence builds might change in 8.3, and on top of that Nazjatar and Mechagon essences will be a bit easier to get.

If you don’t have a ready group for M+ you would have to grind out RIO. Some people, often even don’t look on “main” score.

Do as much M+ as possible to get to know you spec and master healing M+ with a Shaman. Also to get starting gear, RIO, one of essences etc. Plus run EP for essence and if you have a guild/group or luck with pugs 3/8 Mythic for nice gear (azerite gear, at most you will manage to buy 1, maybe 2 from residuum if you push hard every week in December till early January).

Key is locating your good/best essences. If they are in “easy” stuff then you are lucky if it’s some more annoying like mechagon farm then get a contract and do mechagon zone stuff daily :frowning:

What will be the ilevel required to start the lower keys?

M0 is doable with something like 340. So just buy a full set of Benthic armor, do the Nazjatar intro quest to get a 370 weapon, and you should be ready.

M2: Around 380+.

M10: Around 420+.

I think I will be easily 410 so I can then try plus 2 to plus 6. I hope it will be doable.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.