Priest gameplay

How deep and advanced (game mechanics) is the gameplay of all 3 priest specs?

I am still looking for a new alt that could grow into a fun main over time. I don’t care for numbers, when making this choice, as they change all the time. But how deep is the gameplay?

Shadow’s not complicated per se, but it is punishing. It doesn’t ask much of you, but with a strong focus on always casting, little in the way of “A to B” mobility, and a sustained damage pattern that means every second matters (Unlike a spec like fire where as long as you combust right you can basically afk for the next minute) a lot of people find it difficult.

And on a fight like queens court or zaqul it has a lot to manage with all the multi dotting.

Shadow’s a spec that rewards you for good, clean, consistent play, and the complexity comes less from the rotation and more from the need to do it flawlessly alongside any mechanics the fight has, without cheap mobility tools like shimmer or teleport.

3 Likes

While I wouldn’t call any Priest spec “deep”, Disc is probably the closest. It has a reputation for being the most difficult healer to play in raids because it has to ramp to actually be able to do good healing. Holy is pretty much the polar opposite. Both specs are easy to play in M+ (and have been consistently bad at it).

1 Like

Thats a very clar and clean reply…

which makes me wonder if thats the class spec i would really get into…

I prefer specs that change directly based on the situation around you …and. having the right RNG… but not blindly reacting based on RNG…

One of the classes i like to play for example is Unholy DK… much more then for example Enhancement, where the procs dictate your actions.

1 Like

Shadow currently doesnt have any “real” rng. You don’t have to react beyond target switching and getting dots up etc. It’s all on how well you have to do the mechanics of the fight and optimise your uptime, because any loss in uptime hurts your dps a lot.

1 Like

Holy and Shadow are both very fun, deep and advanced. Discipline is just … frustrating.

4 Likes

You want something that requires more than 3 buttons, thats my Holy Priest…options situational choices, live or die by what you choose with plenty of skills at your disposal…yep Holy Priest

V

I main elemental shaman, and I’ve looked a while to find another ranged spec I really enjoy. I do enjoy my BM hunter, but it’s not a casting class.

I couldn’t get into the warlock specs myself, and mages are also not really my thing. I was surprised how much I like this spec, shadow.

I was holy before, and disc in Legion, also fun to play, thanks to Blizzard, I didn’t want to obtain the healer essences AGAIN, so I went shadow, and have to say, not regretting it. It also looks very dark, which is what I like about it as well.

I point this out to everyone who starts shadow on the forums, but buy a highborne compendium of storms off the AH for a couple thousand gold. It’s a phenomenal dps trinket for shadow and will see you through to the end of this tier, easily, unless you end up mythic raiding.

It’s that good? wow!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.