Private Messages...?

A cpl. times today I got a ‘gentle nudge’ to “reply to more people in a thread… or send (who I want to reply to) a Private Message”

When did these get added & how do we send them…?

I’ve seen this too. I think it’s just a meaningless message they copy/pasted from somewhere else. Afaik there’s no support for DMs.

Private message ingame i suppose. Otherwise there is no option to direct message other than being a mod.

Nor did I… but thought it coulda been new. Mebbe the Forum engine supports it, but Blizz switched it off.

Oh, well…

It supports it as the system can DM you as can the mods. Its probably switched off because we all know how this could end.

3 Likes

Its the new thing if you under your settings in your profile it gives you helpful hints unless you turn if off.
Discorse does have DM/PM but they have been turned off .

to

Preferences

to

Interface

“Skip new user onboarding tips and badges”

Avoid… sending ‘Private Messages’ to Forum peeps that don’t want them, is likely to end badly.
I get what Blizz were hoping for with those notifications… however I’m fairly certain the result would not be what they intended.

1 Like

Where a Forum doesn’t openly promote DM’s to other users, I doubt I’m the only one that would ‘build a wall’ (so to speak) if a non-sytem message appeared out of the blue.

1 Like

Thats all it is nothing more .

You can turn if off

1 Like

I just wasn’t aware it existed, due to being offered the option… CBA to use it if too few know it’s there. Nor do I WANT to use it (same reasons).

Given that the automated messages pop up if you are debating on one thread or with one individual quite a lot…the idea may be to prompt a break from that conversation…since following the advice of ‘taking it private’ is imho, actually more likely to aggravate a debate.

2 Likes

I noticed it as well, if you click on the option it just takes you to the person’s profile but there is no option for private messages.

My theory is that blizzard figured out that if people are responding to the same person X amount of time it is most likely an argument that probably needs moderation so they added the pop up hoping people would click and leave the thread thus leaving their argument and ending it without needing mods to become involved.

1 Like

It is a feature of discourse, but it’s not active for us because you can tailor it to suit your needs. Those messages seem quite obnoxious when you are replying to someone who has quoted you and you’re just answering them.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.