Problem with 128 SSD

Hi all,

I have a problem with the 100 SSD requirement for SL. Now the only program I voluntarily put on the SSD is WoW but still the downloading of the patch has been interrupted for lack of disk space (with a Wow folder size of 79.3 Go).

Thing is the rest of the SSD seems to be filled with things that can’t really be moved like Windows files.

I am not a computer expert so I do not know what I can move from the SSD to the Data disk to make room. Or if I should just put wow on the main disk. Or if the only solution to play SL is to buy another computer (something I am not considering).

Any help / advice please ?

Buy a bigger SSD or move WoW to another disk. No need to buy whole new computer unless you want to. And SSD is only recommended, though obviously you will experience longer loading times without SSD.

128 GB SSD is just too small if you want to keep both operating system and large games on it. With WoW installed (even if you temporarily move it to another drive for updating) you are likely to run into problems when updating Windows in the future as it needs more space during the update as well.

Thanks - then I guess it would have been more clear to advise a minimum configuration of 256 GB if in practice you can’t fit Wow on a 128 GB SSD :slight_smile:

It’s a laptop though - is the change as easy as this for a laptop if I go for the upgrade of the SSD ?

Minimum is just that, minimum for the game. It does not include other stuff you have. If you have WoW on 128 GB SSD alone it should fit there just fine: eg. I have Retail, PTR and prepatch downloaded and it takes about 90 GB of space which is less than the required 100 GB.

As for the update itself: most likely but it depends on the exact laptop model. Most oder laptops use SATA drives. Newer and higher end (and lower end nowadays, too) might use drivers with M.2 connector (which includes both old style SATA drives just in different form and faster NVMe drivers). In both cases replacing is possible though how easy depends on the laptop.

Some laptops might have soldered storage which can’t be replaced.

I’m not expert myself but maybe you made page file for your OS which is so big? It’s basically reserved place on disk if your cpu is trying to think and you are out of ram. I have 512GB SSD and i have to juggle my games, i’m thinking about upgrading to second 512GB, if you can afford, go for 512 already.

In my opinion, even a 256GB SSD is rather on the small side. They are cheap nowadays. You can get 1TB for around £100.