Problem with Render Scale option

Disclaimer - This issue was not present on Dragonflight launch. My spec: Ryzen 7 7800x3d, 32gb ram, RTX 4090, Windows 10 - everything fully updated (nvidia driver tested - current(552.22) and with was on Dragonflight premiere (526.98)). My resolution is 2560x1440 and with Nvidia Reflex my FPS is auto locked on 158fps. I’ve used Render Scale option to “crisper” image more because I have headroom with my rig. Now is funny part, when I use Render Scale option to downscale from 2560x1440 (100%) to 2517x1416(98%) my fps go down to 131 and game start stuttering when camera panning, when I use Render Scale option to upscale from 2560x1440(100%) to 2602x1463(101%) my fps go down to 143 and game start stuttering when camera panning. This was never an issue, I had 120 % render scale without any significant fps drops and more significantly without any stuttering. Yes I have different rig when Dragonflight released but this not an issue, I tested this on my “old (which is ryzen 5 5800x3d and 3080ti)” pc and is this same problem (with different fps numbers of course). Anyway, changing one option by 1 or 2% causing too many stuttering with suspicious fps drop is strange, especially since I usually had a change of 20% not 1%. I want to add more, when I lock the game let’s say at these 130fps (to see if it stutters because of this) there are no such problems, for me is clearly something wrong with Render Scale option. I hope, this is somewhat clear, what I wanted to say.

edit. This was tested without any addons and on clear WTF folder with only Render Scale option changed. (with addons there is the same problem - nothing changes). I’ve only seen one post on Reddit on this topic: “The culprit seem to be resolution scaling. Any render scale under or above 100% drops a ton of frames. It’s running better at 100% (4k for me) than 33% (720p).”

1 Like

Renderscale has been broken for months now and Blizzard hasn’t said a word.
So usually it takes them about 4-6 months to fix something like that, if wer are lucky :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If your client runs with max fps in native mod, why would you want to render scale it?

Maybe you didn’t read his post fully, but increasing the renderscale above 100% is basically supersampling, thus increasing the image quality by alot.

EDIT: Renderscale still bugged with the new patch 10.2.7

Damn, I missed that “knowledge”, thanks for answer. Let’s wait then…

This need to be bump.

Was on 92% render scaling (quasy videos config) Was stutering like crazy. Did make it to 100% again = Stuttring like 90% less…

same problem, liquid cooled rtx 4090, 14900k
lowering render scale to 98% lowers fps but also lowers Gpu and CPU power draw surprisingly.
Maybe Blizz should give one of his senseless answers
PD Add dlss meanwhile