Processor for Dragonflight

So im looking to build a new rig for Dragonflight and other games on a budget and being not very well versed in this sort of thing i’m looking for some clarity regarding a processor that seems to be in every budget gaming PC at the moment.

specificly the i5-12400f, 6 cores but with its base speed of 2.5Ghz am i correct in thinking that will not be enough for Dragonflight despite its boosted 4.4ghz? DF minimum specs says 4 cores and 3Ghz

thanks in advance

1 Like

12400F is the current best value among the cheap. Going more bleeding edge would be Ryzen 5800X3D which with cheap DDR4 can beat i7/i9 paired with expensive OC DDR5 kits.

Also in a month or two we will get new AMD and Intel CPUs. AMD will move to DDR5 so it’s still unknown what the total cost of the platform will be, while Intel next-gen does look better as well so 13400F instead of 12400F could be an option as well. Price and availability may play a role as well…

1 Like

12400f seems to be absolutely everywhere, but my main concern here is the base clock speed and dragonflight.

i’m not a man of particularly refined tastes, i can still play with 1920 x 1080 resolution or less, no shadows and the OG water effects and not bat an eyelid, however processor is to my understanding the games most important component and i do not want to make (another) mistake this time.

dont think i’ve had a more depressing experience in gaming as i did with my then new PC struggling hard in nighthold, which i later discovered was due to the garbage cpu id bought :frowning:

Don’t worry about that. The CPU will not be at base frequency when some app or game is running, it will use it when idle and alike.

based on your advice here and some from a few other sources its looking like ill be going with this CPU after all.

many, many thanks for your time

1 Like

I like to watch out for new wow cpu tests from this guy:

https://youtube.com/c/HardwareNumb3rs

He also did a video one year ago on how to figure out which part you should upgrade first, if you dont know what is your systems bottleneck.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.