Profanity filter, when profanity isn't allowed, why?

Well, it differs between cultures and societies. For instance, take the football fans vs cricket fans (I call the 2nd tea drinkers though) of England. The first, don’t care about profanity. Second does.

A majority, use small curse words, like F-bomb and Sh-bomb quite commonly in their every day vocabulary. It’s rarely something as offensive towards someone else. But that’s why profanity filters exist, for those as you call them, and I whole heartedly agree, snowflakes, can hide it. I honestly don’t understand how Blizz can find this to be a good idea. The general “gamer” are used to more mature language, and therefore, is in the vocabulary for many.
With that being said, Blizz clearly don’t know their own audience.

But you miss the point.
It is not offensive to YOU, but cussing can be highly offensive to others, so why use it in a chat.

How you speak in the “real world” is one thing but on a forum with kids around one might think how to sentence ones words a bit.

Again, I dont really see why you have the need to use such words. You can formulate what you want to say without them pretty easy, so why are you so offended by not being able to use them?

Nope, there are password protected Parental Controls in the Account Settings specifically to control this type of behavior and or actions. If a parent or a child deliberately bypass or neglect to use the parental controls this in itself is a confirmation and acceptance that they will be exposed to profanity. Perhaps a more realistic approach than trying to censor the 90% plus of adults that do play is to have this activated by default and you need to turn it off.

Dude, I don’t care about that stuff. But it’s very much the same logic. To call something “vulgar” or “obscene” is very vague. It can very much be like “I slaughtered him hahah” as killing someone in PVP. Or simply, “I’m going to kill you now”
Should someone be banned for that? If not? Then they better release a dictionary of prohibited words.

@Teezah
Well, you can mirror that. Why should they not allow others to talk how they want? If we’re supposed to do the same for them?
Also, with kids around, either their parents put parental control restrictions on their account, or they let them. Any adult knows what type of language you may find on the internet these days.
It’s not a “need to use such words”, it’s just something that for a vast majority here, put out as part of the vocabulary. Sitting and holding back to have to overthink every single sentence you write? That’s no way of living, especially not worth the time in a game.
I’m not offended by not being able to use them. I find it extremely stupid, on every single level, that they ban people over that, when there’s a profanity filter implemented for those who don’t want to see such words. It’s very simple.
If you want to restrict the language, then it should be done so for everyone, not for one half of the people. Especially when they end up banning people for 30 days, or permanently suspending people over “f-bombs” and “sh-bombs”, when they can spend that time on suspending BOTs, or griefers.

More pu[redacted]ifying of the games, let’s goooooooooooooo.
People have skin as thick as a sheet of paper nowadays.

Garrosh Hellscream: Watch your clever mouth, feminine-identifying dog.

Exactly. I don’t know what this Punyelf is on about, trying to tell us that it has always been prohibited. Legit laughable, when Garrosh called Sylvanas a B-bomb. Even with profanity filter on, you would hear the words lmao.

I enjoy the game, somehow. But for real, what’s killing it for me, and has been doing so more and more for every new year since Legion, has been the snowflake people, Blizz CS and it’s just very clearly woke agenda.
I want to call my friends a dipS-bomb in game, as I can call that to their face, with a laugh. Without people reporting me for that and getting my account closed over such a thing.

To add more context. There’s 3 options for chat restrictions in-game.

1. DISABLE CHAT, literally disables CHAT completely. (You still see guild m8s logging on/NPC stuff etc)
  2. Censor Messages. Multiple choice select box restricting chat from: Everyone, Everyone except friends, Everyone except friends and guildmates, and lastly No one.
  3. Mature Language Filter.

Why have these options in the first place?

1 Like

How is filtering swear words a “woke agenda”?

1 Like

You need functional pattern recognition for that, so if you don’t get it, don’t worry about it.

I assure you, it has, as a very young and silly self got a warning on my account for use of vulgar language in /yell during vanilla.

And that’s hate speech, you lose.

I now exit this thread.

1 Like

hahahahahaahah i didnt know this one! hilarious

No, you guys just call everything you dislike woke these days…

1 Like

So talking about transgender people, is hate speech? That’s actually hysterical, because you proved my point.

Also, you couldn’t report anyone for such things in vanilla. You must’ve had some GM roaming around there who caught you. Warnings never lead to anything back then either, even botting only gave like 3 days ban at first.

1 Like

I guarentee I would have been able to find the password and change it. It’s really not hard, especially if your parents are not tech savvy. The point is Blizzard provides the means and it is up to the parents to guard it. As for the profanity filter… well that’s just an interface option.

Are you outraged about it because it affects you or are you outraged about it because the bald man was outraged about it on his stream?

No saying you find transgender people vulgar is hate speech. Don’t be obtuse.
Of course you could. Did you even play? I reported people for stalking me in the game, even. Really done with this now.

No, it’s connected to the parent’s email account etc. You can’t just log on to your own account and fix that, if that’s what you’re trying to say lol.

I didn’t say transgender people, did I? I said transgenderism. Speaking about such vulgarity is upsetting me very much.
“Centurion, throw him to the floor!”

@Nisamxes I’ve been outraged about this topic since Legion, when half my mythic raid team started to get banned every week for few days, or silenced in game etc. What happened? Well, I can tell you this, guild disbanded because people quit.

He implies finding people who are a bit too frequently talking about pervert things and get off to the fact they “changed their gender” vulgar is hate speech

That’s wild

Haven’t you noticed, anything anyone doesn’t like is labelled woke these days.

I guess I’m more surprised that people don’t understand what obscene or vulgar language actually means and no it’s not what personally offends you. So if you are personally offended that someone is transgender, or even if they put pineapple on their pizza. That is not obscene or vulgar.

1 Like

Taken from Cambridge:

Vulgar (adj.)
rude and likely to upset or anger people, especially by referring to sex and the body in an unpleasant way

Obscene (adj.)
offensive, rude, or shocking, usually because of being too obviously related to sex or showing sex

Soo, what’s your response?

So now you should understand! You can’t swear.

I’m glad we cleared that one up.