Profanity filter, when profanity isn't allowed, why?

So, Blizzard Customer Support (probably an automatic bot response that too, I’m sure of it), have now confirmed publicly on Twitter, that uses of words such as the (their words) SH-bomb or F-bomb, are completely prohibited and deserves an action such as a BAN. Which in my opinion is an enormous overstep and an extremely exaggerated action.

Is this a joke? Are we a joke? Why is there a profanity filter, to hide such messages at all? I mean, you can easily turn it off if you’re mature enough to not cry over this so called “SH-bomb” as Blizzard CS calls it.
So, why on Earth is this a thing? Are we supposed to act like Peter Griffin when he falls down the stairs after being baited by Lois to “prove” that he taught Stewie curse words?

The profanity filter exists, so that you can hide such words if you don’t like it. But seriously, don’t hide it for us folks who don’t give a F-BOMB (Blizz CS word, you can’t cry at me for that).

Another good joke regarding Blizzard CS is, that when you go in to create a ticket, that the “Phonecall” and “Live Chat” options are still visible, but has been unavailable since… 2017? 2016? I can’t remember having a good live chat with them since MOP at least, that’s 2014-2015 right?

4 Likes

Because people will still swear, regardless and it is prohibited because it is a T rated game so it is a parental control option.

1 Like

Oh my!

3 Likes

Not really understanding your response. But the parental control options are placed on the account, not in-game.
This wont stop people from cursing. This will just make people:

1. Not communicating at all in the game.
  2. Stop playing the game.

Can you please link the tweet?

in my workplace we have a rule where you can not eat at your desk
you definately can but there were people who just stopped working for 30 minutes at a time because they were eating even if it was something as small as a cookie, that’s taking it to far so the rule was made purely to punish people who go to far, it was not a rule they regulated when you just grabbed a quick snack and were back to work in a handfull of minutes
its probably because someone throwing out a non directed swear word at something unfortionate happening isn’t considered problematic but cussing someone out is.

This rule probably exists so that GM’s do have a bat to swing with when someone starts cussing others out and its probably a choice to just not apply it to me throwing out a curse word to portray frustration after dying in wow hardcore at level 57 or something

Tbf that’s safest regardless of swearing or not due to how any chat message can be reported (falsely or not) with automated moderation and penalizing, and the social contract being able to justify it since everything can be “offensive”.

Most of what I write can be boiled down to like 6 different things (there’s very few exceptions). The people I want to talk to all share a discord server where we can just talk instead of having to type stuff.

Hey
Yo
Bye
BL here
Skip this
Thanks for run

2 Likes

Time to go the Nintendo route, completely remove chat :+1:

Having it be banned and having it be filtered isnt weird.
But it is weird to make the filter a player choice.
Youd think if its against the rules to swear, they wouldnt let you opt in to viewing it.

1 Like

Well it’s more like Nintendo’s outsourced it since it’s still possible in the voice chat :thinking: Though I’ve just self-imposed removal in WoW. Can’t right-click my chat messages if I never make them and I can easily just not hit the enter key :+1:t2:

It’s considered one. A kid is going to be able to turn those off regardless, aren’t they? But Blizz have to put them in to say they have provided them and it’s the parents’ fault if their kid manages to undo the settings.

Like I said, no, it won’t stop them, swearing is a part of our everyday language and most people won’t report you for doing it but they still could if they wanted to.

This profanity thing has been around since vanilla. People were actually a lot more strict then about language used and the GMs were very low tolerance to it. As for your points… people don’t communicate well in this game anyway, regardless of swearing. Those who do communicate in a non toxic manner generally don’t feel the need to swear up and down, either. If having to mind your language when you communicate with others stops someone playing a game, I wonder how on earth they manage out in the real world tbh.

1 Like

I am just wondering why you feel you need to use profanity at all.
Myself, I dont care, but I also dont use profanity when I say something.
I just feel there is no need for it.

Why not just try to be civil when you say something?

4 Likes

I have seen the backlash the CS member has been getting on twitter. They are getting the full ‘shoot the messenger’ treatment atm.

I am amazed that people don’t know that you aren’t allowed to swear in game. It’s always been a part of the rules.

The filter is there as an option to use, not as a go ahead for ‘do your worst’. The words being filtered are just as reportable.

As for live chat as far as I’m aware it is only offered under certain circumstances. Most issues get the ticket option.

The code of conduct:-

Communication

When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

They can’t just “turn it off” it’s set up in parental control on account on Battle.net. There’s the options there. From experience with other such services for my kids, they can probably be restricted and unable to change. I’d assume.

1 Like

This is one of the Rules is Rules situations. And they’ll have these rules in order to get a certain Rating, to qualify for a PG13 (or whatever the equivalent) there must be minimal swear (maybe some milder words would be allowed sometimes).

I do think in general the US and UK are a little puritanical with regards to language but we can’t change that very easily.

As to your question about when and where, it’s about speaking in public areas (in game or forums). If you’re in guild chat and /p with friends then you can say pretty much anything. If you’re in public and say wear words then you’re likely to get reported and some sanction could be applied.

I got a forum holiday for saying a pretty mild swear word and was a little miffed but as I said above Rules is Rules so I took my medicine.

For instance, saying “F-bomb, my bad” when you know… mess up. It’s very common, really. Getting possibly banned based on that, is insane.

But as others have stated, why even make it an option for the players to choose, if it’s prohibited?

Also (I don’t know how I tag multiple people?) @Punyelf
Always been prohibited? There’s been profanity in the game itself since 2004. With curse words and so on. Full of blood etc. It hasn’t been “prohibited” before. It’s first in Legion when they started to penalize people over this so called “chat abuse”.
What you may be thinking of, is that you haven’t been allowed to use certain words in names.
The COC doesn’t say that it’s prohibited to use curse words. It’s an extremely vague sentence.

It’s been part of the rules from the start.

I think it’s kind of funny that so many people don’t understand that swearing is vulgar/obscene language.

But I’m genuinely surprised at the backlash.

Well… You could say “I messed up” instead of the F-Bomb.
It is common because most TV and Movies use that language because it is “Cool”
Profanity language makes you look badass and that is why it is used so much.

Now I have no problem with it at all, but I also have no problem with it being censored.
Apparently there are a lot of people being offended by harsh words and even if I think they are just snowflakes that are offended by practically everything, it is not much of a problem for me to stay away from such words.

Oh
This is one of those threads